X-Peak broke spoke

Dry Fork

Lightly used X-Peak step thru. 20 miles.
Going to ride looking for my dog. Walked it back out of garage. Rear wheel rubbing fender. Found broke spoke.
This bike has always been in my care or sight. Ridden very gently to date. Makes me wonder how much warp was taken out where a broke spoke caused so much rim run out? Maybe more than 1/2 inch. I'll check with X-PEAK tomorrow see what they say.

Well, emailed Lectric. They have told me they have sent me an entire rear wheel assembly. They are not interested in my rear wheel being returned.
So is this good or bad. Within 48 hours of me sending an email requesting support they have issued a tracking number for a wheel assembly and don't want mine back. Good customer service, or quickly and quietly handleing a known issue?
There have been issues with the step thru being unstable with baskets installed. Could a broke spoke while the bike is static in my garage be the result of vibrations encountered while driving?
Time will tell.

I had a broken spoke on my XP 3.0, but it stayed pretty true with said broken spoke. I reached out to Lectric asking the spoke size and they sent me some replacement spokes for free, and they added a section on the website that has spoke size listed. So I had the spoke replaced and the wheel trued. The shop said the spoke tension was all over the place but it wasn't determined if it was just that the machine trued wheel from the factory had faulty spoke tension or the fact that I rode the XP for awhile before I noticed the broken spoke. Either way its fixed and has been good even since.

I think the wobble is from a dumb head tube angle or something, and putting an additional load on said on dumb angle makes the problem rear its head. Some motorcycles handle great until you add a top box, then you get the handlebar shimmy. Overall, I think Lectric is a stand-up company but problems will slip thru. Get the bad wheel fixed and keep it as a spare. I think you just got a bad spoke tension wheel from the factory, and the larger wheel was affected more than my 20" wheel.

I
I think the wobble is from a dumb head tube angle or something, and putting an additional load on said on dumb angle makes the problem rear its head. Some motorcycles handle great until you add a top box, then you get the handlebar shimmy. Overall, I think Lectric is a stand-up company but problems will slip thru. Get the bad wheel fixed and keep it as a spare. I think you just got a bad spoke tension wheel from the factory, and the larger wheel was affected more than my 20" wheel.
I agree.

A broken spoke for no reason indicates an badly-built wheel. If you fixed a single spoke, there is a good chance you'd break another next month, and so on forever. This is not a Lectric-specific problem and does not indicate a widespread flaw in the xpeak, this happens to big name bikes too. The simplest, lowest cost, and best-for-you thing they can do is send you a new wheel. Lectric has no use for your old wheel, and has no reason to pay the shipping to get it back from you.

You can probably sell the old wheel to someone who wants the motor. You could also keep it for the distant future in case your motor blows up out of warranty. A bike shop would not charge all that much to fix it.

I worked in failure analysis for some major manufacturers. Field scraping was typical if it was not a wide spread issue, or if the issue was understood and no more samples were required.
I will be concerned for sometime about this bike. I was well paid to examine all "What if" scenarios. Something about the bike cannot handle their baskets. It can be understood. And the resonant frequencies may be inputting energy that will cause future problems.
I hope not. I own this bike. Time will tell.
I will swap the wheels. It will require less effort than a flat tire on the rear wheel.

If this X-Peak is your first ebike you'll get your money out of it before wanting something more premium. I love my 2 Lectric ebikes, they survive my laziness for servicing and my abuse of riding them outside their design, but when it comes time for a new one I'll splash out the cash for something "nicer" that I can get serviced locally. The "What if..." scenarios will rarely happen, if at all. Ride it, enjoy it and get your money out of it. The wheel was a isolated incident on an overall nice ebike for the money.

4th ebike... 2nd Lectric. They have been the best to deal with on every level. After 10 + years of ebikes, all brutalized, 1st broke spoke. Wheel to be in today.... but FedEx shows delayed in Nashville. About 25 miles from the house.

R&R the rear wheel with Lectric replacement. It was a complete rear wheel assembly. Rotor, cassette, and washers and nuts installed. Couldn't be easier. 👍 to Lectric.
I do wish the spokes pulled square to the nipples better. Maybe 10 spokes noticably pulling out of square.
I have laced a few wheels. This was something avoidable.

Back