Worth the wait, Hydra is here.

Sorry you guys are loosing your nuts. I will watch out for that.

My Hydra was definitely worth the wait. Was intending to go out for a quick ride today but when I got home my wife's bike rack for the car had been delivered so we put that on and checked how it will do holding the Hydra.

As soon as I saw the quality and what it could do.

Edit: :) I'm teasing you! I'll look it up.

Edit the edit: 3/31/21 on a notification list for when I could order. 7/26/21 notified I was able to order and pay. You know they have a running list showing where an order is in the lineup and telling you how to guesstimate what that means in wait time for a given order.

Last edited:
Just realized Scrambler that I posted this on another thread. They were working through all kinds of gearing up problems as well as materials and etc that were unpredictable. Now I think they are working with primarily know time issues and if a person wanted to order today they could tell them pretty accurately what the ship date would be - I believe.

Thanks Merle, I ordered mine mid November, but I am still 728 on the queue
They do seem to have picked up the pace a bit lately with 5 to 8 a day, so that gives me a 90 to 145 days...

You said you ordered mid July, so when did you receive it?

Oh, okay, so you are already up on the scoop.

We recieved it yesterday. Everything about it, shipping, communication, paperwork - impeccable.

They were at 2 to 3 a day a few weeks ago and planned to systematically ramp up. So if 5 to 8 a day now maybe they will be able to push production further and you'll get it some earlier - here's hoping.

Thanks Merle, I ordered mine mid November, but I am still 728 on the queue
They do seem to have picked up the pace a bit lately with 5 to 8 a day, so that gives me a 90 to 145 days...

You said you ordered mid July, so when did you receive it?
Ok, you and Merle and the pic had me go look this thing up. I’m pretty happy with my Swagman current rack, but - that rack is cool and would let my wife load up the bikes if needed. Still $1200 by the time you’re carrying 2 bikes and a ramp?

Definitely a neat rack - may consider in the future.

Yes, that's the neighborhood of the price.

If my passion in life was making bike racks, that's THE rack I would want to make and sell.

Reactions: rtp
It definitely looks like the best piece of rack by far, with price to match 😏
The one thing I regret is that they did not add a locking pin on the handle that allows the side bracket to go up and down.
This would have been an elegant way to lock the bike on the rack.

quickr lock.jpg

The rack is locked on, though it wouldn't take too much to defeat that. I believe they sell an additional lock/locks. For bikes?

Yes, they will have an additional lock to lock the bike on the brackets, but the handle solution would have been simpler :)

Ahh.

They may be interested in your idea for future builds.

Edit: Of course they would need to send a prototype out and have it tested by someone......:)

I already sent the info, but I don't think they care given how overwhelm they are with orders they can't fulfill :)

Might surprise you. When my order came up they took time to check in with me about some things to make sure I was set up as intended. When it comes up to the top of their list they may well be on it.

Last edited:
So I switched bike over to tubeless and installed CushCore inserts. Coming from XC bike with narrow 29x2.1" tires the 27.5x3.0" tires felt huge and I was having a little trouble feeling confident in turns with them. Just figured it was something I'd get used to. I had front tire at 26psi and in turns felt like tire wanted to fold over sorta... I dunno how to describe exactly. With tubeless CushCore setup running 20psi in front and totally confidence inspiring. I'm going to try dropping pressure further and see how it goes. It is pretty crazy to me how well CushCore works though. I'm totally impressed, I was not expecting this much benefit.

My XC bike has TannusArmour. I was getting tons of flats and after installing TannusArmour they went way, I'm not sure I've ever had a flat with TannusArmour installed. But that's basically all it did.. it added a little weight but I quickly got used to it. I wasn't really able to run lower tire pressure with hit. Tire seemed to behave the same as without insert. But I mean I'm happy to have no flats, but it didn't really improve performance at all.

Oh... one other note though, TannusArmour is easy to install.. maybe a little teadious but not at all hard. CushCore is really hard to install. Initially it was impossible to install. After watching a couple videos when I used better technique it went from being impossible to just really hard, lol. First tire took me over an hour, second tire I'd gotten technique down a bit more but still a half hour. But 100% worth it.

So I switched bike over to tubeless and installed CushCore inserts. Coming from XC bike with narrow 29x2.1" tires the 27.5x3.0" tires felt huge and I was having a little trouble feeling confident in turns with them. Just figured it was something I'd get used to. I had front tire at 26psi and in turns felt like tire wanted to fold over sorta... I dunno how to describe exactly. With tubeless CushCore setup running 20psi in front and totally confidence inspiring. I'm going to try dropping pressure further and see how it goes. It is pretty crazy to me how well CushCore works though. I'm totally impressed, I was not expecting this much benefit.

My XC bike has TannusArmour. I was getting tons of flats and after installing TannusArmour they went way, I'm not sure I've ever had a flat with TannusArmour installed. But that's basically all it did.. it added a little weight but I quickly got used to it. I wasn't really able to run lower tire pressure with hit. Tire seemed to behave the same as without insert. But I mean I'm happy to have no flats, but it didn't really improve performance at all.

Oh... one other note though, TannusArmour is easy to install.. maybe a little teadious but not at all hard. CushCore is really hard to install. Initially it was impossible to install. After watching a couple videos when I used better technique it went from being impossible to just really hard, lol. First tire took me over an hour, second tire I'd gotten technique down a bit more but still a half hour. But 100% worth it.
Is there a cushcore like product for fat tires? I see cushcore only goes up to plus, 3" wide.

I can’t see how that would make sense. The insert is to protect the tube
Only Tannus sells inserts for tubes, everyone else (well including Tannus now too) sells inserts for tubeless, maybe like 6-8 companies sell inserts. They got popular a few years ago with downhill, let people run lower tire pressures without risking damaging rims if they hit a big rock or something. The foam adds lots of sidewall stiffness, and then some amount of shock aborbsion for harder hits, and basically protects rim from damage. Then you run lower tire pressure and get benefits of better traction and smoother rolling. For downhill the extra weight didn't really matter and soon everyone seemingly ran CushCore inserts.

But now they're expanding everywhere, basically same idea.. benefits of lower tire pressure without the downsides Gravel bikes even, actually road bikes now tubeless inserts: https://www.vittoria.com/us/en/bike-accessories/tire-inserts/air-liner-road

I think ebike is in similar situaiton where extra weight doesn't really matter. The sidewall stiffness IMO is night and day improvement. And if I get flat sealant can't deal with worst case I just basically ride home on the inserts.

I've you've installed Tannus inserts they're not like that, its like much stiffer foam, just getting onto the rim is seemingly impossible.. its just totally different than Tannus.

cush-core-3-1493157115479-ykuix9xiqf61-9183db1.jpg

Back