Winter Is Coming - Biking in Cold Weather

I rode this morning for about 10 miles. The Twin Cities Minnesota area took a temperature drop yesterday. It was probably 30 degrees when I rode. I did pretty well, but I realize that I may want to consider some warmer socks for riding when it is cooler. What I wore today is a wool blend and just one pair. What is warmer? I have seen Alpaca socks, but never owned any. I also don't have any electric heated socks, but I might consider them.

What do people here use and like?
These are the socks that I wear on days when the mercury dips below -10C (14F). Below that I team them up with heated insoles but if the wind is gusting it’s likely I’ll choose not to ride.

IMG_20210130_1627067.jpg

For the past season, I’ve also been wearing a pair of insulated waterproof Merrell Overlook boots that I’m quite fond of. For walking in deeper snow, I’ll throw the gaiters on and if I know I’m going to be dealing with Ice I’ll slip on ice cleats.

IMG_20221106_1412433.jpgIMG_20220911_0848596.jpg

I rode this morning for about 10 miles. The Twin Cities Minnesota area took a temperature drop yesterday. It was probably 30 degrees when I rode. I did pretty well, but I realize that I may want to consider some warmer socks for riding when it is cooler. What I wore today is a wool blend and just one pair. What is warmer? I have seen Alpaca socks, but never owned any. I also don't have any electric heated socks, but I might consider them.

What do people here use and like?
Darn Tough heavyweight merino wool. I wear my LL Bean winter boots or Sorel. I find electrics to hot. Dipped here in SE MN too. 69F and humid Thursday, 30F on Friday. Minnesnowta doing what it does…

Well, I guess it's time to break out the winter gear, last several night it's been getting down to 10-15* and starting to show some Pogonip fog, I hate it, it's so blasted cold.
I don't mind cold down to 10-15* below zero and clear weather, but Pogonip fog is where I draw the line.............I got to find my wool hunting socks.
I'll stay inside with a hot cup of Jo and start reading Louie's..............,
with the Quadra-Fire wood burner going, hoping for some snow on the ground, it'll warn up some.

Dang, the temps dropped here too. And now, of all things, it's snowing. I'm not planning on a bike ride today... :eek:

our tandems shifting has gotten so hard my poor thumb is hurting. well took the able off and trie to push it through the housing and mad its hard. so I was going to remove the housing takes it to the store so they could cut me some jagwire housing. but when I went t take it off I found unlike the brake housing it goes in and out of the frame in several places. ugg. so I put the cable back on and ride it to the trek store a mile away they have the jagwire stuff on hand. shifting was fine till it started betting cold.
I have debated on going to electronic shifting but it's just too expensive around 1500.00 or maybe changing to sram and using a 11 speed twist shifter. then I would have to buy the shifter new derailleur new cast (I found one that will fit on my Shimano setup and new chain and a new chainring. so still several hundred and a thinner chain.

Wind chill here in Western Illinois was 11 degrees F on the morning commute, that's the coldest air I've felt in a long time but not too bad for my short 20 minute commute. The first 10 minutes I felt just fine, the last 10 minutes my hands and feet got pretty cold. Overall my gear is holding up fine but definitely due for some better gloves and socks/boots. The bar mitts are nice but I thought they would give me a little better wind protection than they have so far. Excited for the ride this afternoon when it will warm up to 25 degrees F but the sun looks to be out.

Winter bike.JPG

Got my winter tires on earlier this week and put them to use today. After dropping my son off, I tested out my braking action on some ice patches and was impressed. Very easy to see where the studs were carving through the ice.

The wool base layer and bar mitts have been fantastic. Wind chill was 14F this morning and my hands were warm with just a light glove on inside the mitts. And the wind-proof trailer and blanket has kept my son plenty warm.

View attachment 140445
Got my winter tires on earlier this week and put them to use today. After dropping my son off, I tested out my braking action on some ice patches and was impressed. Very easy to see where the studs were carving through the ice.

The wool base layer and bar mitts have been fantastic. Wind chill was 14F this morning and my hands were warm with just a light glove on inside the mitts. And the wind-proof trailer and blanket has kept my son plenty warm.
Looks like fun especially for the little one! What kind of bar mitts are those? They look warmer than mine. I'm still on the fence about studded tires but sounds like your experience is that they work well especially on ice. I'll usually just ride with my feet close to the ground off the pedals if I think it's a slippery spot.

Looks like fun especially for the little one! What kind of bar mitts are those? They look warmer than mine. I'm still on the fence about studded tires but sounds like your experience is that they work well especially on ice. I'll usually just ride with my feet close to the ground off the pedals if I think it's a slippery spot.
I got their extreme cold weather version. I wouldn’t bother with anything lighter than that. They’re good at blocking wind but definitely don’t make my hands hot.

I don’t have much experience winter riding but am liking the studded tires so far. Extra rolling resistance isn’t that bad, especially when I can just increase the assist a bit.

I mounted my studded tires on a spare set of rims. I find them noisy and somewhat dangerous for the false sense of security than can provide. Remember they improve grip and braking but it’s still ice…

I would also endorse investing in a dedicated set of winter wheels if you ride frequently enough during the winter as it sure beats seasonal swaps. Studded tires won’t guarantee you a trouble-free winter ride but, like everything else, they certainly can extend your riding season with an extra degree of caution in mind. Just don’t ride like you would during the warmer months. As for the noise, I don’t mind it as it does get people’s attention when approaching from behind.

I like a longer fender at the rear when riding in sloppy conditions and also slap on another which extends down to the motor housing.

IMG_20221101_1334565.jpgIMG_20221113_1009073.jpg
IMG_20221113_1009384.jpg

2 miles at 15MPH (3.2k) run 17F (-8.3C) with 8-10 mph headwinds. BRRRRRRRR Clear streets, got home and dug out the balaclava and goggles. Time to build a new pocketable battery to take in and keep warm with me while shopping. Not a long ride but being able to still run errands by eBike is a freeing experience. I’m liking the independence and self reliance and eBike can provide even in fairly harsh weather. Still need to finish one of the trikes for longer rides/errands. Neurosurgeon consult tomorrow, progress at last. But short runs on 2 wheels are workable. No falls! WooHoo! The snow board helmet is amazingly warm without a balaclava but the forehead freeze was, well, ouch!

Waiting for price on new fairing. But hardware maker retired…
I need to sort a machine shop with drawing seller was kind enough to share.

1668945744544.jpeg
2535FD2A-5FF4-4D27-B2AA-37A9F667E5E1.jpeg

Last edited:
10am, +5C, slight breeze but with a frosting of snow everywhere from last night. So today it'll be a "normal" outfit of fleece, jacket, thin gloves, head band, etc. No need for anything too bulky ... yet.

I still haven't put the snows (Kahvas) on the bike yet (also still need to "winterize" the bike). I likely will during some quite time in the next few days. Anyway there will be a few errands to run this afternoon on the bike. I need to get some wine and some veggies to go with a lamb roast for later today. It's a rural village thing (no longer distances involved) ... but also not as convenient as my normal world in town (Fredericton).

Just glad I don't live in Buffalo or western NY state.

• for face and head get a good fleece balaclava the will fit well under your helmet and cover your face with goggles that cover and protect your eyes.
  • For pants I like Goretex rain pants over heavier fleece pants.
  • For gloves a pair of High Vis Road Crew gloves really work
    https://www.emergencyoutfitter.net/blauer-hi-vis-flicker-gloves/
  • For shoes nothing beats a pair of Lake Winter insulated cycling boots...expensive but cold feet will ruin your ride
Darn I’m a 38 and these start at 39. Théy look well worth the $$$.

One of my best outerwear acquisitions from a Pinkbike purchase last year was a Leatt DBX All-Mountain jacket which is what I wear in cooler or inclement conditions. It’s three-layer breathable waterproof membrane shields me from virtually anything our fall/winter seasons here have to offer up. The jacket is fine on its own but when layered up it also can be worn comfortably in extreme conditions. Depending on what the ambient temp is out, a med weight merino top or a heavier fleece layer underneath is usually all I wear and I’m good to go from cool to wet to more harsh frigid conditions.

IMG_20221106_1137197.jpgIMG_20221112_0900332.jpg

It doesn’t fold up into the size of a napkin as it’s slightly heavier and thicker than most hard shells which is great when the weather gets nasty. To prove its worthiness, I wore it while I was removing snow load from the roof of the house when it was -23C at the time. All of the zippers on the jacket are taped and sealed and the its front zippers are two way which reveal some pretty cavernous pockets while two exhaust port zips at the sides help with ventilation.

IMG_20221112_0900588.jpgIMG_20221106_1138593.jpg

Both shoulders and elbows are reinforced and the shoulder patches are a nice touch which keep my backpack straps from shifting.

IMG_20221106_1142402.jpg

The jacket sports a magnetic hood retention system which prevents it from flopping around. A separate magnet (supplied) can be attached to the top of your helmet and sticks to the one sewn on the inner liner of the hood keeping it secure and from blowing off during windy days.

IMG_20221106_1140210.jpg

There’s also a zipped forearm pocket that I suspect is for a ski pass but instead I’ve been using it to stash small items such as a spare GoPro battery, keys, cash, or lip balm.

IMG_20221112_0900480.jpg

My previous shell that this jacket replaced was much thinner and ripped both on the upper sleeve as well as the elbow from rogue branches along the trail. I expect the Leatt All Mtn shell to hold up to the same abuse without any issue as a result of more durable material and construction. I also like how it feels tailored fit for riding.

I rode about 10 miles yesterday. I was careful to find mainly snow free areas on the road and multi-use paths. The part of me that got cold was right above my eyes! I wore a balaclava and a helmet, as well as sun glasses, but the area above my eyes did get cold, so I very well may wear goggles the next time I ride!

I rode about 10 miles yesterday. I was careful to find mainly snow free areas on the road and multi-use paths. The part of me that got cold was right above my eyes! I wore a balaclava and a helmet, as well as sun glasses, but the area above my eyes did get cold, so I very well may wear goggles the next time I ride!
Goggles are a must for me. Good ski goggles with anti fog treatment. I use “cat crap” on all lenses in winter.
Clarity Defog It is even better.

Last edited:
If I have to wear more than shorts and a T shirt, count me out.

edit
Rode to the store today and the cold didn’t bother me, but the slushy roads kept me on my toes.

Last edited:
I love winter riding on sunny days!

Does that trailer have a vinyl cover for the front because you will kick up snow, rocks and dirt?

I would be leery of taking a child in a trailer on slick roads at anything but very low speed with no traffic. I do take my dogs in my trailer even in winter but not far and not fast. I also have a sturdy wood hauler sled they ride in behind the ebike.

Yes, you need knobbies for snow riding. I put on my snow bibs, insulated boots and a balaclava and I have heated Kemimoto coat, gloves and socks. Get ski goggles or glasses that are designed to prevent snow blindness.

These are the trails I ride in winter:

• Great video and very comfortable ride

Steve Jones from Electric Mountain Bike Network seems to be right on the spot. Why not to wear wellies when it is wet and cold?! My winter issue are the boots that always get soaked in the wet...

I'm giving a pair of short Dunlop wellingtons a try!

Back