Will you let your ebike take you 'where you don't belong' ???

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
It was right about this time, 2 years ago or so, when I set out for a day of riding within the New Jersey Pine Barrens, in particular, Wharton State Forest. So, starting out at the Atsion Ranger Station, off of NJ Route 206, I headed east on the Quaker Bridge Road, a sugar sand road named after the Quakers whom used this stage coach route, pre-Revolution War days. The idea was to poke around the roads and trails within the forest on routes I haven't gone onto, as I usually stay on the well known Quaker Bridge Road, Batsto River Road or Constable Bridge Roads. For the reader, these are not roads per se, they are more deep sand roads with dense dwarf pine, eastern pine and cedar trees encroaching right upon the road. The weather was sunny and clear, with clear skies and dropping temps for the evening to come.

After a few hours of riding about on roads unfamiliar to me, the angle of the setting sun jarred me into the thought that I really had no clue as to where I was, nor how I was to find my way back to my truck at Atsion.

Now mind you, this is South Jersey, so no worries about man eating animals. But there was a good October chill going on as the shadows within the forests grew long. And with no compass, no cell phone nor no GPS, and with the NJ parks personnel not providing any hint of signage within these forest roads; I admit alot of dread was starting to set in. I mean, at that point, I did not have the dyno lighting system the Haibike now employs. And those woods, when the sun goes down, gets awful dark within, real quick. It's in the NJ Pine Barrens that the 1700's legend of the Jersey Devil was born, the 13th of Mother Leed's children. The area where the ghosts of alot of Philly and NYC mob hits are allegedly buried. You get to thinking of alot of this stuff as you start backtracking over your backtracks only to come out in the same area you were at 2 or 3 times previous......and the sun continues to drop. And that battery percentage is dropping as well.......why oh why did I leave the other battery home???:eek:

I lucked out in coming upon some horse riders (the first people I ran across in hours) loading up their horses after a day of riding in the October sunshine. And normally, I ask no one for directions, but this was a time to put the pride away; cause I was beyond lost. Turns out I was closer to Chatsworth, NJ then I ever could have thought, some 10 plus miles north and east of Atsion. Had I not asked them, I would have continued on my way northeast to Chatsworth as that was the way I was pointed; thinking to myself this was the way out of this mess. They set me to rights and I made it back to my truck in the twilight now deepening into night.

You can Google Maps Wharton State Forest, Atsion NJ and go east to see that this is not the New Jersey everyone thinks of and makes jokes about. This is beautiful country with woods that are lovely, dark and deep.....

Couple of photos within Wharton to get an idea.....
Used to work off of Quaker Bridge Road, in Hamilton Twp if I remember correctly though, a long time ago!! Wife worked in Princeton and I worked in Pennington. Had friends further up 206 that we used to go visit. Looking at that trail, might have to come back!! And plenty of campfire stories involving those 2 you mentioned!! Thanks for the reminders and the story.

Winter of 2018, I built a two wheel drive fat tire bike and took it out for some test rides. Worked fine on the street so I rode it over to the nearby forest preserve which has a lot of grassy and dirty walking paths. After falling a few times, I realized I might take a bad one, and they might find an old man who froze to death, a mile away from Starbucks. That was the end of that.

... froze to death, a mile away from Starbucks. That was the end of that.

Several mini-epics in my life happened within a few hundred yards of safety. One involved being out and about without a flashlight on a moonless night a short distance from my home. Another involved being on a glacier in Alaska with a wicked ground blizzard for zero visibility and being unable to find camp for about two hours. They can be scary and freaky at the time but I suffered no injuries except to my pride.

Used to work off of Quaker Bridge Road, in Hamilton Twp if I remember correctly though, a long time ago!! Wife worked in Princeton and I worked in Pennington. Had friends further up 206 that we used to go visit. Looking at that trail, might have to come back!! And plenty of campfire stories involving those 2 you mentioned!! Thanks for the reminders and the story.
You're welcome, Fez! Different Quaker Bridge Road, this one is Shamong Township, off Route 206 in the Pine Barrens; for those not familiar with the area. Been on the Mercer County QB Road to go to the Quaker Bridge Mall. Last time I've been up that way has been over 20 years ago. Malls taking a big hit in NJ these days.

The Pine Barrens have a way of making me forget what state I am in, it's really a jewel for NJ.

Well my story is a bit lame compared to much of what I've read here, but in the interest of Mike's original post ... "will you let your e-bike take you where you don't belong? " .... I found myself today on a single track trail that at 76, I had no business being on. When I sold all my non electric bikes, and purchased a 500 watt e-bike with throttle, I felt like I had recaptured my youth. So this led me to trying to go beyond my 15 mile fitness loop (half rails to trails and half highway shoulder), and try to get back to single track MTB trails. Mistake. The e-bike can do it, but I no longer have the reaction time, strength, balance or agility to do it. But, because the e-bike made me feel stronger than I was 30 years ago on the hills, I started trying to go where I could 30 years ago. Lesson learned for me at 76 ... stick to the pavement and rails to trails. LOL 🙂

I don't get lost necessarily but I have a bad habit of finding old trails and following them until they start to peter out and then keep going......has made for some rugged hike a bikes but have always, knock on wood, made it out alive and with my bike but sometimes pretty scratched up.

Well my story is a bit lame compared to much of what I've read here, but in the interest of Mike's original post ... "will you let your e-bike take you where you don't belong? " .... I found myself today on a single track trail that at 76, I had no business being on. When I sold all my non electric bikes, and purchased a 500 watt e-bike with throttle, I felt like I had recaptured my youth. So this led me to trying to go beyond my 15 mile fitness loop (half rails to trails and half highway shoulder), and try to get back to single track MTB trails. Mistake. The e-bike can do it, but I no longer have the reaction time, strength, balance or agility to do it. But, because the e-bike made me feel stronger than I was 30 years ago on the hills, I started trying to go where I could 30 years ago. Lesson learned for me at 76 ... stick to the pavement and rails to trails. LOL 🙂

Sounds to me like you just need to become more acclimated regarding when to turn around and leave the way you came in? I LOVE trail riding - but that same "what the hell am I doing here" realization struck me a long time ago. I was off the bike pushing it up a giant hill at the time. Since, I've made friends with many trails and shortcuts - but I leave that crazy stuff to guys much younger and in better shape than I am.

Point being, suggest you keep exploring! It's the only way you're going to find those hidden gems you'll really enjoy... -Al

Sounds to me like you just need to become more acclimated regarding when to turn around and leave the way you came in? I LOVE trail riding - but that same "what the hell am I doing here" realization struck me a long time ago. I was off the bike pushing it up a giant hill at the time. Since, I've made friends with many trails and shortcuts - but I leave that crazy stuff to guys much younger and in better shape than I am.

Point being, suggest you keep exploring! It's the only way you're going to find those hidden gems you'll really enjoy... -Al
I love this type of thought .At least we can get off
the rail trails and away from clouds of virus hosts, where an ebike is overkill anyway. Now if I can just find empty trails its a win, and cell phone service is a bonus...

Yep. The rider even admits as much, "I blame the trouble I’ve gotten into entirely on my own recklessness. But a huge part of my own recklessness was to place too much faith in a machine I couldn't repair in the wild". I hope he had to pay for the Search & Rescue team that was dispatched....

Of course it doen't take an ebike to get into trouble. I'm sure we've all seen it; people that insist on getting too close to the booming surf, go for a walk in the woods without map, water or a jacket, ski in the off limits areas, etc, etc. It really does pay to 'be prepared' and respect the fact that Mother Nature is indifferent to your well being; that's your job.

It pays to take a few courses. Bicycle Kitchens across the country offer classes on fixing just about anything bike related. Outdoor courses are offered by retailers like REI and by outdoor clubs.
Whenever kayakers, hikers, climbers, skiers, etc. have to be rescued, there are calls for charging the rescuees for being saved. But studies have shown (sorry, can't cite them off hand) that imposing rescue fees or fines can backfire. Simply, the persons needing a rescue tend not to summon help, on the grounds that they will be out a crippling amount of cash. The result is sometimes tragic. I would have a hard time weighing whether to risk the cost of a rescue team plus helicopter against my fear of serious consequences of persisting in attempts at self rescue. The agencies, apparently--Coasties, Mt. Rescue, etc. all agree in saying, don't charge for rescuing people--even if their own stupidity got them into a jam.

In fact, some years ago I was kayaking with a group off Cape Flattery, WA, a gnarly area of rock gardens and Maytag conditions. Several of us had capsized in huge seas (I questioned at the time whether we should be there), and were pinned on an inaccessible beach by monstrous surf. So, one of us having a VHF, we called for help. The Coasties sent a Zodiac, which was unable to land, followed by a chopper from Port Angeles, which lowered a radio on a rope. As it turned out, we managed to get our act together and self-rescue. I know there were people who thought we should pay, but the Coasties never even scolded us (not even the guy with the VHF, which was illegal at that time without a license). To this day, I do not regret that we called for help, because it sure looked for a time like we were going to need it.

Bottom line: if you punish people for requesting help, they won't ask for help.

Added edit: This Cape Flattery episode was interesting in that it showed me what several hours of fear bordering on terror can do to a person. Result: a big, long-lasting adrenaline HANGOVER.

Last edited:
Yep, once they spot a human, they're gone. Been trying to photograph an eagle for years without success, although I see them a couple of times a month. Really takes a telephoto lens and patience. I have neither.
If you want to see eagles, try the PNW (actually, I realize they are ubiquitous throughout the USA now). One kayak trip took us to a small island off Kyuquot Sound on the west coast of Vancouver Island. After a successful hour of fishing, a couple of us were cleaning fish on the beach. An eagle landed nearby and showed intense interest in the guts, etc. of the cleaned fish. He kept hopping closer and closer, until he couldn't be more than 10 feet away. As we tossed the offal to him, we kept luring him closer and closer.

On another trip, it was fun to watch one bathe in a little creek that ran down the beach. Just like in your birdbath, with fluttering of wings and lots of splashing.

Last edited:
They seem to be territorial, all along the Susquehanna River you will see them,.Must be miles between the nests. Only see a a pair at a time. Saw one nest.

Last edited:
Can't link to it but there is an EBR thread about a boat float down / bike back combo trip that would turn into an eagle hunt for me on the river.

Oh man, is this a crazy story about one man's e-bike adventure, or what ?...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-dark-side-of-e-bikes

Not like we all live near a desert or deep forests, but I have heard of people actually getting lost (albeit temporarily) on trails actually near their home, going places they'd never knew existed.

My favorite line of the article...

As I sat on the sidewalk, an older guy rode up on his bicycle, and we started talking about e-bikes. “My friends keep trying to get me to buy one of those,” he said. “But I’m afraid they’ll take me where I don’t belong.” ;)

This guy is an idiot. Riding into the desert on a hot day with little water, no food, no way to change a flat, and no idea where he is going.

This guy is an idiot. Riding into the desert on a hot day with little water, no food, no way to change a flat, and no idea where he is going.
Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel ?

Haven't you ever seen "America's Funniest Home Video's" ?

Not exactly rocket scientists sharing their foibles for the world to see. Its called being human.

It was a dumb decision, but he seems to have learned from it, and wrote honestly about it. We all make stupid choices in life, not all of us learn from them.

Good article, I enjoyed reading it.

We should have a "too dumb to ride" thread. But it would be huge .
If you ain't doing what many might call 'dumb' stuff, you are very likely not really living, maybe not really trying at all. In fact, from my perspective, it's gotta be totally boring to be 'perfect' with no 'mistakes' or trying to avoid them, in every moment of your life. A whole lot of folks probably called me dumb or crazy when I started my ebike business out of my garage back in 2015. I know my in-laws were actually 'worried' about me. (like what is the guy doing'?) But hey, it's been worth every risk, and now people frequently ask 'how did you know this would take off and grow like this back then'? And then when I tell them I had been following ebike technology since the late 90's when Lee Iococca introduced a brand here in the US, they look at me and go 'they've been around that long ?', and that I actually spent years preparing in numerous ways before deciding to launch this business , waiting patiently for the right time, the correct battery technology to emerge and become commercially viable, and so on. Just like this guy below spent years preparing via jumps long before he ever embarked on proximity flying in a wing suit.

Now this guy here (Jeb Corliss), you could call really 'dumb' for jumping (flying) off a mountain cliff, but I'll tell you what, he is having a HECK OF A LOT OF FUN !

It's also one of my all-time favorite video's on you-tube choreographed to some spectacularly well chosen music...
If you ask me, this guy's daring and adventure even makes the song that much more powerful, and may have even helped put AWOLNATION on the music map (albeit briefly anyway). It's amazing he is still alive, and he has one heck of a life story if you care to dig into his livelihood further.

His laugh at the end is quite hearty if not invigorating.

To me Jeb's an inspirational guy, and every once in a while, when I need a quick 'pick me up' I actually go and play his video. ;) I first saw it back in 2011, when I had just made my highest annual career earnings, and then resigned from my employer that same year, bc they were retroactively taking away sales commissions on already sold deals (yes folks its illegal), bc (get this) the CEO felt we 'made too much.' Are you kidding me ? Here this same CEO is getting filthy rich bc us in the top 5 were just killin' it. (Such a putz). Anyway, this video was perfect timing for what had happened, and of course my wife is questioning every bone in my body for resigning from the highest paying job I had ever had.

Tip: listen with very deep bass headphones, or better yet, if you have a kicka** sound system like I do (with a gazzillion watt amp), with some crazy massive sized booming Klipsh speakers, then crank it up. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you liked that video and proximity flying in a wingsuit , then check this other one out also produced by Jeb, and his girl-friend...

Absolutely Incredible !!! (IMHO)

The guy is freakishly talented in his chosen 'life pursuit.' (and spent years getting there to 'master' what he most loves to do)

I had a younger friend in my fifties when I was into 'Adventure Bikes'. We rode big KTMs. This kid ( low thirties ) grew up on motorcycles. Was an accomplished trick rider. ( can't remember what that lightweight cycle competition where they jump up on rocks and stuff is called ) Well he could make that big heavy KTM of his sit up and beg. It was scary what he could do. Last I saw him he was on his way back to Britain to ride in the Isle of Skye race. I brought up the subject of crazy dangerous pastimes ( one of his friends had recently died in the Isle of Skye race ) and all he said was, "Hey, he went quick while doing what he loved."

damn

We should have a "too dumb to ride" thread. But it would be huge .
Pretty sure I would find myself one of the subjects on a thread like that (too dumb to ride). Thing is, many mistakes, the ones you survive anyway, are later added up and called "experience". Mistakes are pretty much the best way to get experience. Seems that way for me anyway. Always figuring out stuff/learning the hard way!

The issue you're thinking of I believe, is the one where the person doesn't learn from his mistakes, and repeats them.... THOSE are the guys I feel sorry for! -Al

Back