Why do the top manufacturers embrace 36 volt/ 250 watt power systems?

Old news but...
Wow, thanks for posting that...I will check my Turbo Levo. Damn 36V mass produced donkey power euro trash :cool:

Last edited:
Old news but...
Thanks for the heads up...scary.

So back to the OPs question.

If you are truly concerned about cycling in high winds, its going to take power plain and simple, for that use case, 48V or even 52V would be better

I live in the front range of colorado near boulder and riding in the winter means dealing with high winds, battling a 20mph headwind usually takes over 1000w watts for anything over 15mph or so. An added benefit of the high winds is that they are coming down from the rocky mountains which makes the air heat up (chinook winds) so the warmest winter days are the windiest.

Its true that the big manufacturers dont offer higher power capable 48V ebikes with nice components.

One way to get better wind performance is to get more aero.

I use the following which is stronger and adds more hand positions than those silly things stefan uses
https://origin8.bike/products/strongbow

I used this on my 2018 iZIP Moda E3 (36V euro based brose mid drive, equivalent to Vado of the same time frame). It makes a significant difference. I could easily keep up with 750W to 1000W bikes with normal flat bars. That being said, when encountering 4-6% hills and battling the headwind, I could feel the motor reducing power due to overheating.

I also used these bars on a Juiced CCX (52V 750-1000w). I was never passed by anyone on windy days when in an aero position. This was up to 2020, there are alot of more powerful ebikes on the trails near me these days.

If you really want to have a nice bike with nice components which is powerful, it might help to read my experiences in this thread
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-build-then-a-bbshd-and-now-a-9c-rh212.38385/

So back to the OPs question.

If you are truly concerned about cycling in high winds, its going to take power plain and simple, for that use case, 48V or even 52V would be better

I live in the front range of colorado near boulder and riding in the winter means dealing with high winds, battling a 20mph headwind usually takes over 1000w watts for anything over 15mph or so. An added benefit of the high winds is that they are coming down from the rocky mountains which makes the air heat up (chinook winds) so the warmest winter days are the windiest.

Its true that the big manufacturers dont offer higher power capable 48V ebikes with nice components.

One way to get better wind performance is to get more aero.

I use the following which is stronger and adds more hand positions than those silly things stefan uses
https://origin8.bike/products/strongbow

I used this on my 2018 iZIP Moda E3 (36V euro based brose mid drive, equivalent to Vado of the same time frame). It makes a significant difference. I could easily keep up with 750W to 1000W bikes with normal flat bars. That being said, when encountering 4-6% hills and battling the headwind, I could feel the motor reducing power due to overheating.

I also used these bars on a Juiced CCX (52V 750-1000w). I was never passed by anyone on windy days when in an aero position. This was up to 2020, there are alot of more powerful ebikes on the trails near me these days.

If you really want to have a nice bike with nice components which is powerful, it might help to read my experiences in this thread
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-build-then-a-bbshd-and-now-a-9c-rh212.38385/
It looks you need a motorcycle. No cyclist would be faster than you, headwind or not.

We had 40 mph gusts yesterday and I rode a lightweight 36V bike. I just needed to gear down and take it easy so I didn't get knocked over.
That was no wind gust......that was linklemming overtaking you ;).

On a serious note......my new mass produced chinese built middle weight bike (circa 25kgs) doesn't budge - solid as a rock and so smooth compared to my lighter Scott analogue bike.

Last edited:
It looks you need a motorcycle. No cyclist would be faster than you, headwind or not.
I rode sport and dirt bikes for years, not the same experience...much prefer riding ebikes in my later years. Most of my riding is about 300watts from the bike and 150 to 200 watts from me (last ride average was 180 human watts).

If I need the full 1500W, its there anytime I want.

I cant imagine how boring your 310 watt rides are (70W human, 240W bike). No wonder you post so much nonsense on EBR. No EBR poster is better than you

Out of lotion yet? I bet your latest strava stats are hot, perhaps form a circle with your gravel buddies

Last edited:
We had 40 mph gusts yesterday and I rode a lightweight 36V bike. I just needed to gear down and take it easy so I didn't get knocked over.
I have ridden all over the bay area for many years and am aware of how the wind works everywhere in that area since I moved their specifically to windsurf. I also flew/raced RC slope soaring gliders which was a whole nuther level of understanding all the wind patterns in the bay area.

The open prairie I encounter is featureless, there is no escaping the wind and the wind beats you to death. I would equate it to riding over dumbarton bridge on a 20mph day (except with a direct headwind instead of the prevailing crosswind)

Sounds like you 36V lightweight ebike is perfect for your riding conditions. My DIY ebikes are perfect for mine.

FWIW, the OPs original question was centered around potential ways of having a more powerful ebike due to windy conditions. I doubt he was looking for an answer of 'gear down' or the euro market is 10x the US and all chinese bikes are crap.

Did you smoke any Vados?

Last edited:
I cant imagine how boring your 310 watt rides are (70W human, 240W bike).
According to BLEvo, my legs averaged at 94 W while the motor average was just 50 W during my latest 40 mile leisure group ride on Vado SL with two girls. In the need of sprint, my leg power peaked at 316 W and the motor was producing 240 W mechanical at that time. That trip was the opposite of the word "boring"; I can only sympathise with a person who describes his environ as
The open prairie I encounter is featureless, there is no escaping the wind and the wind beats you to death.
That must be boring!

I ride e-bikes. You're being ridden (carried) by your electric motorcycle with pedals.

Necessary to mention, one of my companions of the Sunday ride pedalled for 90 miles on her own leg power on that day, and she was ready for a double Metric Century if I only asked her. The other girls was struggling with her health issues, making the group ride slow. Trust me, I'd love be riding a 9 kg traditional gravel bike if not my medical condition.

According to BLEvo, my legs averaged at 94 W while the motor average was just 50 W during my latest 40 mile leisure group ride on Vado SL with two girls. In the need of sprint, my leg power peaked at 316 W and the motor was producing 240 W mechanical at that time. That trip was the opposite of the word "boring"; I can only sympathise with a person who describes his environ as

That must be boring!
Nice try

Well actually thats only about 5-8 miles of certain rides I do. I do all sorts of rides but I selected my DIY electric powertrain to handle the worst case condition power wise. Im guessing your not familair with the diversity of riding conditions in the front range of CO. Most of my gravel rides are around 300watts for most of the ride. I use my turbo levo for true MTBing.
I ride e-bikes. You're being ridden (carried) by your electric motorcycle with pedals.
And yet I ride at 2-3x your power level, you can call it whatever you want. Your eurosnob attitude doesnt affect this cowboy no matter how you try to frame it. Riding at these speeds requires a level of skill you are not familiar with, your skills/power level sound more in line with my 80 year old mother
Necessary to mention, one of my companions of the Sunday ride pedalled for 90 miles on her own leg power on that day, and she was ready for a double Metric Century if I only asked her. The other girls was struggling with her health issues, making the group ride slow. Trust me, I'd love be riding a 9 kg traditional gravel bike if not my medical condition.
I have no idea what bringing other riders into this discussion is meant to do. I have a neighbor who does triathalons, my sister does marathons and my neighbor riding partner does gravel corners at speeds I cant comprehend....so what. I would like to be an uber athletic MTBr as well but I am not so the ebike allows me to enjoy riding anyway at my age. Does what you want make you more credible here at EBR? Your responses are always entertaining...forest gump like.....pedal stefan pedal

Sounds like you would be quite the riding stud...if not for your medical condition..pedal stefan...pedal

Last edited:
Thanks for all the informative posts here. Verdict is in for me; I would rather have a bike with the lighter 250w/36v pedelec system and get a workout (sort of) rather than the higher watt/voltage bikes which seem more like electric scooters than bicycles. I have a gas-powered Max-scooter that is plenty fast if I don't want to work. This opens up the options of getting a much better drive train and much lighter bike which is a win-win in my view. Happy peddling everyone!

Thanks for all the informative posts here. Verdict is in for me; I would rather have a bike with the lighter 250w/36v pedelec system and get a workout (sort of) rather than the higher watt/voltage bikes which seem more like electric scooters than bicycles. I have a gas-powered Max-scooter that is plenty fast if I don't want to work. This opens up the options of getting a much better drive train and much lighter bike which is a win-win in my view. Happy peddling everyone!
Asking for advice is great... but knowing your needs is far more important.
Roll...

250w/36v pedelec
My own go to bikes are 350 Watts. That is Goldilocks for the way I ride. And I very rarely use turbo. I will do more powerful motors but there needs to be a justifying reason for that such as a cargo bike or a heavy rider who wants to do some bikepacking. It also means a heavier battery to lug around 100% of the time when you may only need that full capacity in one of every one-thousand rides.

09710E4A-F7EF-40FA-8D00-8A3F95FF1680.jpeg
Just bought a Rocky Mountain eMtb. The Altitude A50. It has 48v 720 wh battery and the Dyname 4.0 drive system which is 250 W nominal but extremely torquey peaking at 700 w and 108 nm of torque at highest assist. I’m coming off a Bafang Ultra and Tern with Bafang 400. This is an amazing bike. It climbs our mountains really well. I’m blown away really. And my gimpy knee could not be happier
A51F04A6-AC6C-405E-8F22-036AB3314159.jpeg

It climbs very nearly as well as the very much heavier Ultra.

And when I say Mountains ….

Rocky Mountain eMtb
Rocky Mountain bikes are top shelf. And the company is not evil like Specialized. An industry friend was enthusiastically showing me these a couple of days ago. They are a great bang for the buck and will out preform $7500 bikes from folks such as Santa Cruz. Really about 100Nm is the upper limit for bike components to hold up anyway such as a performance 11-speed or 12-speed. So 108 is a good upper limit. Because the motor runs the idler you can use any MTB drivetrain. It also helps with the chainline.

Rocky Mountain bikes are top shelf. And the company is not evil like Specialized. An industry friend was enthusiastically showing me these a couple of days ago. They are a great bang for the buck and will out preform $7500 bikes from folks such as Santa Cruz. Really about 100Nm is the upper limit for bike components to hold up anyway such as a performance 11-speed or 12-speed. So 108 is a good upper limit. Because the motor runs the idler you can use any MTB drivetrain. It also helps with the chainline.

And for me a buying a Canadian bike with a Canadian drive is really cool.
It’s extremely quiet too. Sips power so far.

Back