Aloha from Maui!

mata2maui

Region
USA
I have enjoyed riding my 2017 Stromer ST1 limited edition a few times around Maui. This bike has such a smooth and sturdy feel to it but the time has come to sell it (with a newer battery purchased last year) because I don't ride it much. The OD reading shows 205 total miles, LOL. Why? I am 225 lbs and the 36-volt/500Wh battery and 500w Hub motor don't provide the kick I need to move my body thru the trade winds we get here. My first ebike was a Motiv cruiser with a 48 volt system and a throttle which was fun but it did not feel like I was riding a bicycle. I am seriously in search of an ebike that blends higher power with top components and high quality thru axle engineering. Not so easy as I have learned when the budget is around $5k!

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    836.6 KB · Views: 101
In my other post on that other thread I was more answering anothers post and missed what you were actually looking for? From your post here I would suggest looking into the LUNA X2 with the Bafang M600 motor. Although it is a full suspension bike compared to your current ride it will weigh less overall even though it does have that feature. It has a good sized battery, 750w nominal, thru axle wheelset (I would recommend the full 29" wheel set for primarily road use) and decent enough components in the gearing and brake compartments. Swap out the knobby tires for some more road oriented ones might suit your riding style better but in the end even with some aftermarket tweaks, who can resist, it will come in under your budget figure. They are offering US free shipping but might balk at shipping free to HI.?

A few other companies also use the Bafang M600 platform for their bikes also and there is also the M510. But for a 48v 750w nominal mid motor the Bafang is pretty much the only game in town for a production type bike.

In my other post on that other thread I was more answering anothers post and missed what you were actually looking for? From your post here I would suggest looking into the LUNA X2 with the Bafang M600 motor. Although it is a full suspension bike compared to your current ride it will weigh less overall even though it does have that feature. It has a good sized battery, 750w nominal, thru axle wheelset (I would recommend the full 29" wheel set for primarily road use) and decent enough components in the gearing and brake compartments. Swap out the knobby tires for some more road oriented ones might suit your riding style better but in the end even with some aftermarket tweaks, who can resist, it will come in under your budget figure. They are offering US free shipping but might balk at shipping free to HI.?

A few other companies also use the Bafang M600 platform for their bikes also and there is also the M510. But for a 48v 750w nominal mid motor the Bafang is pretty much the only game in town for a production type bike.
Big Mahalo, just went to their websites; its like Vic Hubbard for EV's! Their Scooters look like an early death but you'll go with a smile.

If your on Maui here are some fun, kinda flat but scenic rides: 1) I like to park at Kanaha Beach Park and take the mostly off-street paved path behind the airport to Paia and then to Hookipa Beach and back. 2) Another Fav is to park at Lahaina Aquatic Center and ride through Front street and then along the coastal areas and beach parks to Kaanapali, and then up to the parking lot above Black Rock where I turn around. You can enter the Kaanapali hotel area by a small beach park right into the parking lot of the Kaanapali Beach Hotel without having to go onto Honoapiilani HWY. 3) On the South shore I like to park at the Kihei Boat ramp and ride out to La Perouse Bay thru Wailea-Makena and back. If the back is sore I turn around at Ahii Kinau marine reserve before you encounter the rough rode to La Peruse. 4.) If you want a real scenic hill climb, start in Paia town and take Baldwin Ave up to Makawao town and glide back down the hill same route. 5.) Upcountry I park at Keokea Park and ride out to Ulupalakua Ranch/winery and back, great burgers at the ranch store! I have also noticed the hardcore analog riders take on the summit of Haleakala but only from my truck! Mahalo.

Last edited:
Back