Why do the big bike brands (almost) never use hub motors?

I think this "geared hubs can't climb hills" is nonsense, some kind of defensive reaction from folks trying to justify their sunk costs in a rather non-trivial price point difference. I'm not knocking mid-drives, I think they do ride a bit more naturally and I wouldn't mind having one (with chain breaker in seat bag), but not at 3 times the price, and I'm getting a little tired of the retconning of, whatever question is asked, the answer is, you should get a mid-drive.
My Euro-spec 250W limited rear hub would overheat on relatively short and not overly steep climbs (say, 100m rise over 1.2km). And that was a well regarded Dapu hub. I'd have to wait a few minutes for it to cool down before riding on. No issues on much more aggressive 15 - 20 degree climbs on my similarly 250W limited mid drive. That thing can happily push me up hills all day long.

You Americans obviously get much more powerful hub motors to play with so less of an issue State-side, but it may be one of many of the considerations behind the choice for us Euro-spec markets.

The lower output X35 hubs are very common here on road ebikes, not that I see many of those on the roads.

Mac told TJ their motor would burn a winding after 30 minutes of full throttle uphill. Lots of people in CA or OR would do that, & they are 50% of the market. I have 77 hills but they are rollers, I gain ~200 ' in 27 miles. Mac12 is perfect for here, but electric-bikes.com wouldn't sell me one because of 15% hills here and my exhorbitant 170 lb weight. Luna sold me a Mac12, I love it. Half the watthours used of a 1000 W DD motor, 2/3 that of the ebikeling motor I wore out @ 4500 miles.
So anyway, if half the buyers would burn a motor the first week climbing from Huntington Beach to Lake Arrowhead, why even sell it? People in California think their state is the only place, and with most of the ebike vendors out there, they are entitled to their opinions.

My Euro-spec 250W limited rear hub would overheat on relatively short and not overly steep climbs (say, 100m rise over 1.2km).
Another anecdote: my first exposure to ebikes was in 2014, where when after going up the long elevator and schlepping on foot to the apartment rental in Orvieto, our kindly host asked where we'd parked and said, "Oh no, you parked on wrong level. I go down and move it." I was like, that's a huge hassle for you, and she said "No, I have ebike", and she did. Didn't check whether it was a mid drive, but it probably was.

I solve it by having one of each, well more like two.....Hub for primarily road use and mid for mtb. All DIY open source components with throttles.

I'm a bit astonished at this, having the same bike in SF and never having had to walk up a hill. What are these un-doable climbs?
I used to live in the south bay, and grinding up black road or montebello rd or moody on a hybrid unpowered bike was a regular weekend workout.
I would be happy to ride a radrover from Santa Cruz to San Jose on one charge (I know those back roads).
Montebello Road to Black mountain is a great climb... what is your weight if I may ask?

This may explain the different climbing experiences on the RadRover. Hope this helps.

1611376223826.png
1611376234520.png

Last edited:
This conversation confirms something I've long believed, that while there are good arguments on all sides about what the legal top speed for ebikes should be, 15 vs 20 vs 28, regulating power limits is just dumb. The problem is ebikes that are too heavy and/or going too fast. Power limits just stifle useful applications.

The European class 3 regulation is actually better in that respect, because it allows 4kw, ie enough to actually sustain those higher speeds up a hill. 750w isn't much for getting up a hill at 20+ mph.

Funny that you ask... we swapped rides and he can climb fine with my mid-drive in low gear.
Thanks for the answer. Good to know your friend did his research, What did you think of the Radrover. Did you make it up the hill with it?

As AHicks alluded, low legal power limits (250w) do favor mid-drives, where you can convert that power to torque better by using your cogs. Note also that it's a power consumption limit, not a power output limit, which would be a Newton-meter limit. I will bet that a number of these european 250w mid-drives are consuming 250w at a nominal test level, and behaving like a volkswagen diesel emissions control unit at other usage levels. Regardless, if I lived in a 250w limit country I would seek out a mid-drive. But I don't live in one of those countries. The US permits 750w motors.

So let me relate an anecdote from around when I bought my first ebike. I have a buddy whose self-built (from donor bike) was stolen. He wanted to replace it with something that could do marin county technical singletrack, so went with a mid-drive bulls at about 53 lb. Got a steal on an essentially new, remaindered 2 year old model for $1450. Yeah, 36V battery, but it rides well. Two catches on that bike that he told me: First, if the motor gives up the ghost he's looking at a minimum of $1000 to replace it, and that is with the same model motor. Second, he had to buy a yamaha charger in the aftermarket, which was $250.

Now, compare that with a geared hub drive bike. If the motor kicks it, you don't replace it with the manufacturer's stock motor, you replace it with a better one, for only $200 to $250. You can replace that motor four times for the price of one mid-drive motor replacement. (I have 4000 miles on the bike, no replacement needed so far.) If you break your chain (a significant concern with a mid drive, less so with a hub), you throttle your way home.

I think this "geared hubs can't climb hills" is nonsense, some kind of defensive reaction from folks trying to justify their sunk costs in a rather non-trivial price point difference. I'm not knocking mid-drives, I think they do ride a bit more naturally and I wouldn't mind having one (with chain breaker in seat bag), but not at 3 times the price, and I'm getting a little tired of the retconning of, whatever question is asked, the answer is, you should get a mid-drive.
I do think it's important to acknowledge that 250W Euro rated mid-drives can provide peak outputs that are significantly higher.
1608288541622.png

The newer Yamaha mid-drive peaks at ~700W even though it has a nominal 250W rating. It
peaks at ~80Nm torque. Other mid-drives can provide even higher torque making this category of motor good candidates for climbing, ie MTBs.

This conversation confirms something I've long believed, that while there are good arguments on all sides about what the legal top speed for ebikes should be, 15 vs 20 vs 28, regulating power limits is just dumb. The problem is ebikes that are too heavy and/or going too fast. Power limits just stifle useful applications.

The European class 3 regulation is actually better in that respect, because it allows 4kw, ie enough to actually sustain those higher speeds up a hill. 750w isn't much for getting up a hill at 20+ mph.
Hmm, I'd rather lose the draconian speed limit than the power limit. Remember, it's 250W of continuous power over an hour period. When the motor only has to push you to 25 km/h that's really quite generous.

By way of example, during lockdown in March - May I had an hour long circuit I'd ride at night for exercise when the streets were deserted. It took me up every steep hill in my city, some actually pretty serious. Following the rides I'd look at the engine power output graphs. I'd typically average about 100W, rarely peaking much above 300W up the really steep sections. To sit above 250W averaged over an hour you'd be doing some crazy steep and long trails. That 25 km/h limit is a different ballgame to your 20/30 mph US limit.

Montebello Road to Black mountain is a great climb... what is your weight if I may ask?
This may explain the different riding experiences on the RadRover. Hope this helps.
My weight on a good day is 180lb. My doctor tells me I don't seem to have very many good days. To be clear, I'm not doing south bay climbs on a radrover since I now live in SF, just I used to live there so want you to define what is not working for your radrover riding partner. Montebello road is a bit varied and testy, but it could be your buddy just doesn't trust himself to do an emergency dismount should he bonk? When you swapped bikes, did you go and re-climb the bonk part? So, your friend bonked on the Montebello climb from the parking lot at the Stevens Creek Reservoir?

I will assume y'all did the sensible thing and hit the Ridge tasting room on the way down and picked up some good zins.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer. Good to know your friend did his research, What did you think of the Radrover. Did you make it up the hill with it?
My weight on a good day is 180lb. My doctor tells me I don't seem to have very many good days. To be clear, I'm not doing south bay climbs on a radrover since I now live in SF, just I used to live there so want you do define what is not working for your radrover riding partner. Montebello road is a bit varied and testy, but it could be your buddy just doesn't trust himself to do an emergency dismount should he bonk? When you swapped bikes, did you go and re-climb the bonk part? So, your friend bonked on the Montebello climb from the parking lot at the Stevens Creek Reservoir?

I will assume y'all did the sensible thing and hit the Ridge tasting room on the way down and picked up some good zins.
We had to bag the ride with his RadRover and return to the flatlands... wish we had thought to stop at the Ridge Winery for some vino! 😉

Last edited:
I've really enjoyed reading all of the comments and examples here. Ebike performance can be very subjective due to rider weight, terrain, weather, tire pressure... so one person's struggle might have been solved or less relevant to another. Please keep in mind that I'm a 135lb (61kg) 5'9" (175cm) athletic build. I've definitely experienced slowdown and struggle on steep hills with low and medium powered hub motors (I try to show this in many reviews), but in practice, I just shift to a lower gear or don't stop half way up the hill, so it has never seemed like a critical issue. I don't own a cargo bike, rarely carry heavy loads on racks or even backpacks. I used to commute to work in Austin, TX by regular bicycle, but I switched to an ebike due to knee sensitivity on hills. I could make it up, and enjoyed the heart pumping! but my knee would hurt.

My experience on a regular bike was massive slowdown at hills and some pain, but I never had to stop... I'd just switch gears. My experience with an ebike was limited or no slowdown at hills and no knee pain and faster more satisfying starts from stop signs :D this is the case for me with even a 250 watt hub motor... so the 500 and 700 variants are fantastic, and then the bike weight begins to become a relevant factor because they can weigh almost 50% of me. These are all of the reasons that my current favorite ebikes are any of the Specialized SL models wit the super-light drive systems, limited capacity batteries, and bike-like frames. They solve my knee pain but give me the feeling of control and agility over the bicycle that I enjoyed from regular bikes. I'm sharing this because my Dad (who weighs more than me) chose a RadRover for himself... He likes the stability and comfort of fat tires, he isn't as worried at railroad tracks, and the power and throttle option are great for him... but he's doing neighborhood and light gravel cross country vs. steeper climbs.

Court, as always... thanks for sharing your personal story. 😉
I'm with you on the superlight models... the SL may be my next EBike!

Last edited:
One of the pioneers of the E-bike industry, Grin Technologies, who have designed G-Mac and Satiator kind of devices, shared this about mid-drives and hub-drives.

HubVsMiddrive.jpg

Why don't you carry the Bafang BBSXX mid-drive kits?​

We get this question several times a week and feel that it's worth devoting a page to the subject.

The Bafang mid-drives have become quite popular since they were first introduced as an aftermarket kit option around 2013. Prior to that, most of the mid-drive systems were designed for OEM bike frames and so not accessible to DIY conversions, or those that were meant for aftermarket installations were usually interesting but mechanically complex. The BBS01 design (which Bafang cloned from Sunstar) was neatly integrated as a self-contained bottom bracket replacement without all the external mounting hardware, chains, pulleys, etc normally associated with mid-motors.

In any case, we've had samples of all the BBSxx motors and many variants from other manufacturers but have never felt that they hit the right note for what the majority of our customers are actually after. Integrated controllers limit your upgrade and repair options, wide 'Q' factor cranks to clear the motor can make for awkward pedaling, there have been limited chainring options, not to mention some messy politics in the distribution channel if you've been following that. We have been actively involved in mid-drive solutions for cargo e-bikes with the Stokemonkey and variants, just not at the moment for regular bicycles.

Where do BBSxx and similar mid-drives shine?​

There are certain areas where bottom bracket mid-drive motors are hands down better suited than hub motors. Offroad mountain biking is one great example. The motor weight is low and on the unsprung frame, so it has minimal effect on handling even in full-suspension bikes. In these situations, you are often going slowly uphill through trails with short steep sections, and a small motor working through the drivetrain in the granny gears of the bike can do this with excellent efficiency. Another example would say fat bikes riding on sandy beaches or through fresh snow. These are areas where the bike is moving at lowish speeds through high resistance terrain, and the mid-motor in an easy gearing will do this with better efficiency than most hubs drives while still performing just as well on the faster roads.

For us, though, a majority of our customers are using their bikes for daily use commuting, riding on roads where maintaining a steady speed regardless of the hill grade is important. For that requirement, a mid-drive offers almost no advantage, and we continue to believe that hub motor kits shine the strongest for reliable and low maintenance commuter ebike conversions, and that's the bulk of who we serve.

Hub Motor Advantages​

Here are a few benefits to a hub motor system to keep in mind and help inform your decision. Please don't see this as us taking sides and saying that hub motors are universally better than mid-drive motors; all we want to do is balance out the discussion a little by highlighting the many benefits of a hub motor drive, which are frequently missing from popular discourse at the moment.

1) Independent propulsion​

This point is often overlooked, but a hub motor has significant robustness in being totally independent of the human drive chain. If you've ever had a situation where a chain breaks, derailleur gets jammed, wet snow packs into the sprockets, freewheel busts apart, etc. you become quite grateful that the hub motor can continue to propel the bike to get you home. With a mid-drive motor, anything that takes the drivechain out of commission stops the bike completely as both the motor and pedals become useless.

2) Less stress and wear on drivechain​

Chain stretch and cog wear

With a hub motor E-bike, the use of the motor lessens the mechanical wear and tear on the chain, cogs, and derailleur system since it decreases pedal stress that the rider would otherwise put on the transmission. A mid-drive motor does the opposite, putting much more force on the chain and cogs with the motor propulsion now added on top of the rider's input. A normal bike chain drive is fairly robust and can usually handle this extra load without failure, but will wear out at a much faster rate, requiring more vigilant attention to chain stretch, cog wear, shifter alignment etc.

3) Ability to use internal gear hubs (IGH)​

Internal Gear Hubs work great with front hub motors

This is somewhat related to the above point, but one of the great innovations in bicycle hardware in the past decade has been the production of compact internal gear hubs that are 7-14 speeds with wide gear ranges. With a few exceptions (Rohlhoff and the original Nuvinci N171) these hubs are not rated for the extra stress of a motor drive and will usually have a short service life with more than an extra couple hundred watts from a motor. If you want to use a mid-drive with an internal gear hub, be sure to check whether the hub is rated for tandem and/or cargo use, most explicitly, say no.

4) Higher peak power capability​

The transmission through your bicycle drivechain also limits the maximum motor power that can be coupled to the wheels. Power levels in the 250-750 watt range are usually fine just with increased wear and tear, but when you are looking for multiple kW of power then you start seeing catastrophic failures with snapped chains, sheared freewheels, broken spokes etc. A hub motor with a properly coupled torque arm has no such limitation.

5) Potential for regenerative braking​

Regenerative Braking, not an option with mid-drives
With a direct drive hub motor or a geared hub motor that has a locked clutch, the motor can act as a perfectly controllable brake that isn't affected by rain, pad wear, cable adjustment or anything like that. In a similar manner to how a hub motor reduces wear and maintenance on the pedal drive chain, it can reduce and even eliminate brake pad maintenance as well. You can easily do 90% of your braking electronically with only the odd emergency stop needing the mechanical engagement. On a mid-drive motor, there is really no potential for regen (unless of course you electrify a fixie, but we don't see much of that).

6) Ease of installation​

Admittedly the BBSXX systems and clones are pretty straightforward to install if you have bottom bracket removal tools and crank tools. But nothing gets quite as easy to fit as a front hub motor, where you are just taking off the original wheel and replacing it with a motorized one. In general we wouldn't emphasize this too much, as the time spent installing any conversion kit is way less than the time you save from riding it and you should install the system that is right for you. If you are concerned about installation and the facility of moving the assist to different bicycles and such, it's hard to top a front hub motor for minimal hassle.

7) Torque sensors options​

Just about every pedal torque sensing technology works with hub motors
Because of the independent propulsion, the hub motor drive leaves any number of sensor technologies available for measuring rider pedal input, including chain tension (BeamTS), rear dropout (TMM4), Rear axle flex (eg BionX), and the many bottom bracket torque sensors (NCTE, Thun, TDCM, Sempu etc.). With a mid-drive, the motor couples through the drivechain so these sensors can'd distinguish pedal power from motor power, and so you are stuck with what the mid-drive system comes with which has so far been pretty limited. Some (like lightningrods and Tongsheng) have a torque sensing, while on the vast majority they are have just a basic pedal cadence sensor.

Now there is no reason why more aftermarket bbs style mid-drive can't have an integrated torque sensor, it's just that so far this mostly exists only on OEM bottom bracket drives like the Bosch. .

8) Simpler operation with shifting​

For a mid-motor to work well the rider needs to shift through the gears as they speed up and slow down, and similarly back off on the motor power while shifting to avoid seriously harsh shift transitions. This constant backing off and reapplying motor power between each change of gears can get taxing and results in some speed loss too, while with a hub motor you can continue to have uninterrupted power through all your gear transitions. There are shift sensor products to make these motor cutouts automatic, but there is nothing you can do if you come to a stop in a mid-drive system and forget to downshift first. The motor will start off in a high gear with low acceleration and efficiency. For regular cyclists this is probably no issue, but for those without that background, the simplicity of not having to shift gears all the time is one big appeal of an ebike. The rider can generally leave the bike in a high gear and use the hub motor to quickly get up to speed so there is no need to go through the motions of downshifting and up-shifting at each stop and go.

Remarks​

So, we hope that this sheds some more light on why we've largely stuck to hub motor systems since first becoming enamoured with the Crystalyte 400 motors in 2003. If you've read on websites or forums that hub motors are "yesterday's news" with poor efficiency and handling, and mid-drive systems are the only way to go for an ebike, perhaps you'll have a more informed outlook after reading this.

Mid-drive systems are not some new technology (most ebikes from the 1990's and early 2000's like the Merida Power Cycle and Giant Lafree were mid-drives), and hub motors continue to evolve to higher levels of power density, efficiency, and bike compatibility since they first rose to prominence in the mid to late 2000's.

Hmm, I'd rather lose the draconian speed limit than the power limit. Remember, it's 250W of continuous power over an hour period. When the motor only has to push you to 25 km/h that's really quite generous.
In a European city like say, Utrecht or Copenhagen, you'd be surrounded by throngs of cyclists on heavy, 35+ lb manual bikes toddling along at 10-12 mph. Adding 20 mph cyclists to that situation is pretty... combustible. Of course, that situation hardly exists in the US, so there's less of a need for low speed limits stateside. The intent of the European e-bike limit of 15 mph is to allow people to keep up with existing bike traffic, wind and hills aside.

Putting speed limits on general urban roads of 20-25 mph and then shunting class 3 ebikes off the bike lanes would be ideal, short of kicking all high speed vehicles out of urban cores anyway.

I ride with a good friend who has a RadRover 5 with a 750W geared hub motor and a 48V, 14 Ah (672 Wh) Battery.
Unfortunately, we now have to avoid steep hills as he is unable to climb these grades and has to dismount and walk.

He was told by Rad that the geared hub would be able to climb hills but is this is not the case and he is now shopping for a mid-drive.
I believe hub drives are excellent motors for specific use cases but not a one size fits all solution. Hope this helps other EBR members.
If you believe that Rover has a 750w motor, you need to do some homework. Most in the know regarding that motor, believe it's 350w (RAD won't confirm or deny when confronted with the question). Further, there's a good reason there are 3 companies I think now, that are selling aftermarket drop in controllers that don't choke the battery's ability to feed the motor, AND those same companies offer drop in armatures for that 350w motor, that are rated at 750w, giving you a REAL 750w motor.

Point being, that's one of the worst examples of a hub motor's ability to climb. That said, it's also one of the most popular e-bikes sold today.....

Last edited:
Good point about my friend's experience with the hub drive RadRover. I agree that Rad overstates the motor wattage by using the peak number.... not good.
Nonetheless, it certainly is not capable of climbing steep hills and other EBR members may benefit from having this information before purchasing a new eBike.

On the other hand, it's important to note that the 250W OEM mid-drives can provide peak power outputs that are significantly higher... ie. 3x 250W.
The newer Yamaha mid-drive peaks at ~700W even though it has a nominal 250W rating.
It peaks at ~80Nm torque. Other mid-drives can provide even higher torque making this category of motor good candidates for climbing, ie MTBs.

Last edited:
I ride with a good friend who has a RadRover 5 with a 750W geared hub motor and a 48V, 14 Ah (672 Wh) Battery.
Unfortunately, we now have to avoid steep hills as he is unable to climb these grades and has to dismount and walk.

He was told by Rad that the geared hub would be able to climb hills but is this is not the case and he is now shopping for a mid-drive.
I believe hub drives are excellent motors for specific use cases but not a one size fits all solution. Hope this helps other EBR members.
It did take me a little while to learn how, but I ride up every hill I encounter now on my Rad Rover. Maybe we need to define "hill", but there are some pretty decent hills in Middle Tennessee.

TT

It did take me a little while to learn how, but I ride up every hill I encounter now on my Rad Rover.
Maybe we need to define "hill", but there are some pretty decent hills in Middle Tennessee.

TT
Here is a typical afternoon ride in my area of the coastal foothills with a 19.8% grade for comparison.

1611419306246.png

Perhaps the best hope for more hub motors, aside from bike brands designing ebikes for the American market, is European countries making it easier to use Class 3 ebikes. Belgium and Switzerland are more permissive, but I'm not sure if things are improving elsewhere. Riese and Muller has said it's very difficult to bring them to market.

Class 3 ebikes have been doing very well in Flanders: https://electricbikereport.com/can-speed-pedelecs-get-more-people-on-e-bikes/

Last edited:
Back