Why are Threads Being Deleted because Someone Complains

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is fact, is always opinion.
Not when it comes to things like gravity. I know that if I drop my guitar, it will hit the ground, and will possibly be damaged.
That is not and cannot be an opinion. It is a fact.
Opinions are what they are, and too many are useless.

Not when it comes to things like gravity. I know that if I drop my guitar, it will hit the ground, and will possibly be damaged.
What makes something a fact?

The ignore button is the best way, in my opinion, (sorry) to deal with people like this.

TT

Attachments

• Mulder-the-truth-is-out-there-but-so-are-lies_2x1.jpg
    Mulder-the-truth-is-out-there-but-so-are-lies_2x1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 164
Arguing with someone who can make the statement "What is fact, is always opinion." is an exercise in futility. A statement like that is prima face evidence of a weak, undisciplined mind washed irretrievably and irrecoverably down the drain by the "firehose of falsehood"

The "firehose of falsehood" is a propaganda technique originating and commonly employed by Russia and employed frequently by Putin's puppy dog in the White House.

Here is what Rand (hardly a lefty info source) has to say about the Firehose of Falsehood.

wiki:[1] The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability—that is whether it can be demonstrated to correspond to experience."

It is not verifiably true that if you drop your guitar it hits the ground. It might hit your mattress or bedcovering.
Your fact was opinion.

Perhaps I can offer some insight, or maybe not you decide. For starters nobody on any form of social media is being censored. Nobody has a right to free speech, nobody has a right to spread lies. As Americans we have the right to not have the government tell social media or any other media to shut us down. If you or anyone else wants to start some whacko bird conspiracy theorist nut web site, magazine, or town cryer the government can not shut you down, THAT is your first amendment right. This site, as every other form of media has the right to delete any post they want, pretty much for any reason they want, that is their right and you agreed to it when you signed up.

So why delete an entire thread when other alternatives seem better? Because those seemingly better alternatives just create second, third,fourth complaints and so on. Got a thread with a lot of BS in it? Well a moderator could take the soft approach and warn users, give time outs, delete individual posts...and that leads to a whole slew of favoritism complaints. Or just delete the whole damn thread and be done with it. And when the site has lots of users and lots of threads it just makes it harder to play BS referee. To take the soft approach a moderator ends up taking several, or several dozen actions just to tamp down abuse in one thread. Repeat that for several threads and now a moderator is spending hours babysitting. But take the hardline, flush the entire thread and the process is complete only taking up minutes of time.

Perhaps I can offer some insight, or maybe not you decide. For starters nobody on any form of social media is being censored. Nobody has a right to free speech, nobody has a right to spread lies. As Americans we have the right to not have the government tell social media or any other media to shut us down. If you or anyone else wants to start some whacko bird conspiracy theorist nut web site, magazine, or town cryer the government can not shut you down, THAT is your first amendment right. This site, as every other form of media has the right to delete any post they want, pretty much for any reason they want, that is their right and you agreed to it when you signed up.

So why delete an entire thread when other alternatives seem better? Because those seemingly better alternatives just create second, third,fourth complaints and so on. Got a thread with a lot of BS in it? Well a moderator could take the soft approach and warn users, give time outs, delete individual posts...and that leads to a whole slew of favoritism complaints. Or just delete the whole damn thread and be done with it. And when the site has lots of users and lots of threads it just makes it harder to play BS referee. To take the soft approach a moderator ends up taking several, or several dozen actions just to tamp down abuse in one thread. Repeat that for several threads and now a moderator is spending hours babysitting. But take the hardline, flush the entire thread and the process is complete only taking up minutes of time.
Agree for most of it, but isn't that leaving the same people doing the same things in order to have threads shut down? They ignite the flame and then point to a shutdown need.

Arguing with someone who can make the statement "What is fact, is always opinion." is an exercise in futility. A statement like that is prima face evidence of a weak, undisciplined mind
A statement like that is prima face evidence of a weak, undisciplined mind

Statements like that are what makes for forum unpleasantness. If those are your best tools, might I suggest you look inwards?

This has become ridiculous... again.
But it isn't ridiculous to purport that it is fact, that something you drop must hit the ground?
It was just poor thinking, that by mere mention of gravity, you then believe anything you say after that must be a fact.

I mean, you could have been less ridiculous to say your guitar would go downward if dropped.
You embellished and trapped yourself into more opinion. It's funny, really. And fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back