Why are Brooks Saddles known for comfort?

Yamahonian

I have read many posts on this forum saying that Brooks Saddles are the most comfortable out there, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why. They feel hard as a rock. What am I missing?

I have read many posts on this forum saying that Brooks Saddles are the most comfortable out there, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why. They feel hard as a rock. What am I missing?

I am one of those who like Brooks saddle and I have tried 4-5 different saddles. I can not say that it is the best for all kinds of riding but it is a good saddle.

I advice you to first adjust the saddle (tilt,height etc) well. It should feel hard but not very uncomfortable after that.

There is a break in period where the saddle takes your shape(a couple hundred miles is not unheard of) after that it will feel very nice.

And if possible order proofide, it conditions and helps breaking in the saddle.

Just rode twenty five miles on a brand new B17 yesterday , and it was a better ride than the soft padded seat that came on my bike .
I am used to hard seats so it did well for me, and I think with longer rides it will form well to my backside .
Just a little slippery right now , hard to keep my butt in the same position

Just received my Brooks "Flyer". I have had B17's on my bikes in the past, love them. The springs on the Flyer work well with my added front suspension on my fattie. The leather conditioner ( make sure it's applied to the underside of the seat) tends to be all I ever needed to get that legendary comfort. I will see if serious break in is required on this one. The tensioner can be backed off a tad for those that want a bit of indentation. I prefer ridged, or at least I did 25 years ago. :)

i bought a vintage Paramount with a Brooks saddle...it was already broken in is the most comfortable seat I have.

I ride 3 Brooks (one on each bike) One of them is a Storck (£12,000) out n out race bike. Other riders are bemused to see such an "old, vintage" saddle on such a machine. I won't take chances on comfort. So it's twice as heavy! I can ride all day long, with no saddle issues - don't even think about the saddle. And I've been riding them since 1966, with one spare always been broken in gradually. For me that's usually around 600 miles on a Professional about 300 for a B17.

Last edited:
Just rode twenty five miles on a brand new B17 yesterday , and it was a better ride than the soft padded seat that came on my bike .
I am used to hard seats so it did well for me, and I think with longer rides it will form well to my backside .
Just a little slippery right now , hard to keep my butt in the same position

I always position the nose slightly up.

Urologists don’t like to hear that seat position. My doc gave me a short lecture on slight saddle pressure points directly behind the man parts.

Ah, I only do it for breaking in period of saddle. It pushes you back slightly, thus helping you sit on the back of the seat. I've found this puts pressure on the leather helping it soften up.

It is not what you are missing but rather what you have ...a prostate gland. I tossed my B17 for a Selle Royale Respiro.

The saddle has to break in, that takes up to 500 miles of riding.

Padded shorts are highly recommended.

Once the saddle breaks in and conforms to your shape it will be very comfortable. As a bonus, leather is breathable so unlike a plastic seat you will have a less sweaty behind, which is also more comfortable.

If you search online there are lots of tips and tricks on how to make your saddle break in better. I recommend getting a can of neatsfoot oil (usually from a hardware store or sporting goods store), taping the holes in the saddle, removing the saddle from the bike, and pouring the neatsfoot oil into the underside of the saddle. Let sit for 20-30 minutes, and remove the excess oil.

For the top of the saddle Proofide works fine but is hard to find, either saddle soap or Sno-Seal work fine. Pro tip: use a hair dryer on low to heat the saddle soap so it penetrates deeper into the leather.

The saddle has to break in, that takes up to 500 miles of riding.

Padded shorts are highly recommended.

Once the saddle breaks in and conforms to your shape it will be very comfortable. As a bonus, leather is breathable so unlike a plastic seat you will have a less sweaty behind, which is also more comfortable.

If you search online there are lots of tips and tricks on how to make your saddle break in better. I recommend getting a can of neatsfoot oil (usually from a hardware store or sporting goods store), taping the holes in the saddle, removing the saddle from the bike, and pouring the neatsfoot oil into the underside of the saddle. Let sit for 20-30 minutes, and remove the excess oil.

For the top of the saddle Proofide works fine but is hard to find, either saddle soap or Sno-Seal work fine. Pro tip: use a hair dryer on low to heat the saddle soap so it penetrates deeper into the leather.

Proofide, 'Chain Reaction Cycles' they are very good at communication and sending all over world.

It is not what you are missing but rather what you have ...a prostate gland. I tossed my B17 for a Selle Royale Respiro.
The main issue in regard to cycling and prostate problems is to find ways of reducing pressure on the perineum, or groin area, as the prostate is located just below the bladder and in front of the rectum. This can be done in a number of ways: from wearing padded shorts, regularly standing on the pedals, considering the adjustment and position of the saddle. Studys show that a grooved seat allows better preservation of the seat-symphysis space than a standard seat, but the rider’s position is more important for preserving the seat-symphysis space (and reducing compression) than is seat design alone. Any factors which influence the seat-symphysis space (including an individual’s anatomy, seat design and rider position) can increase the potential for penile hypoxia and erectile dysfunction/perineal numbness. Therefore it seems sensible to use a saddle which aims to reduce pressure on the perineum. These kinds of saddles fall into several types of groups, all aim to reduce pressure on the perineum or groin area: 1. grooves and holes cut out 2. holes cut out and a cutaway at the back 3. ‘split saddles’ which have two sections and no central area 4. noseless saddles.

Saddles with holes cut out of them may increase pressure inadvertently or pinch. Many saddle manufactures today make saddles with grooves, cut out holes and cutaways.

As there are so many numerous designs, there is no correct answer, and the most expensive saddle is not the best. It's a matter of individual suitability and trial and error.

I was also looking at the Ergon ST Core Prime Saddle,

Though it is hard to tell if all the "saddle technology" is just marketing BS. Ergon generally makes good stuff though

saddles can be a pain (G) after experimenting the one that came with my bike has been the best. but I would liek better and i cant find it. I need a seat thats flat across and length wise and thats hard enough but it needs to be pretty soft or my sit bones suffer. I would love a center cutout in my seat it would be perfect.

A couple of years ago I bought two Brooks saddles (Cambium 17 & 19) for my road and MtB. After a 100km on the MtB and 200km on the road bike I couldn't stand riding with these saddles any more and took them off. Note that these aren't the leather saddles. Rather, they're vulcanized natural rubber.
After purchasing a couple more saddles with similar results I bought a Fabric saddle and couldn't be happier.
The Brooks saddle may be just right for a lot of riders, but it sure wasn't right for me.

saddles can be a pain (G) after experimenting the one that came with my bike has been the best. but I would liek better and i cant find it. I need a seat thats flat across and length wise and thats hard enough but it needs to be pretty soft or my sit bones suffer. I would love a center cutout in my seat it would be perfect.
Fooferdoggie I offer this Bontrager Boulevard for your consideration. It worked great on a Trek Verve + that I had for a week as a loaner. https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/bontrager-boulevard-saddle-329684-1.htm

Last edited:
Back