Why are Brooks Saddles known for comfort?

I was also looking at the Ergon ST Core Prime Saddle,

Though it is hard to tell if all the "saddle technology" is just marketing BS. Ergon generally makes good stuff though
If you buy one let us know how you like it after a few weeks. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

I was also looking at the Ergon ST Core Prime Saddle,

Though it is hard to tell if all the "saddle technology" is just marketing BS. Ergon generally makes good stuff though

I have that one too. It is a good saddle the only problem is although I picked the right size according to the website it may chafe a little when riding at an agressive position. So it is good for more of a hybrid, uprightish position(or maybe I should have gone the medium instead of large).

It is a good saddle and acts like a suspension for small imperfections too.

here is what I have now. flat side to side and end to end. I may be able to handle a little side to side but I tend to sit lower and then my crotch gets pressure if it has much curve. I have to have a little up tilt to keep from sliding forward. if this had a cutout it would be ideal. but this is one of hte softest saddles I ahve found and I have looed at maybe 40 of them. my poor sit bones don't like anything firm including firm chairs.

Attachments

• IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 472
Few things more subjective than saddles, but I note your desire for a flat profile, and that's just what I wanted. Tried several over many months, and finally found the Serfas City Bike saddle in my regular shop (after looking all over, of course). It has a nice flat and pretty firm character to it, and as soon as I tried it I knew I had found what I wanted. I think I have about 4000 miles on it now, and the thing hasn't worn at all. I do zero city riding, but that's what they call it for whatever reason.

That said, you never know, but my two cents. They make two versions, one a little wider than the other (CB-200 two mm wider than the 100). I keep meaning to pick up another as a backup/spare while they're still available.

IMG_3508.jpeg

I have to have soft. I found even a little firmer and my sit bones ache. since I have l lost weight they are super sensitive. firm chairs hurt.

I have about 2000 miles on my Brooks B 17 and wouldn't change it for anything. I've considered getting a second for my mountain bike but just can't justify the weight penalty. But for tooling around the city I have never found anything that comes close. Plus it looks beautiful, the craftsmanship is top notch, and I like nice things.

Thanks everybody for your input.

I have a full suspension mountain bike, but I am using it for rail trails (eg no mountain biking). I have a fully upright seating position (stem riser, short stem, swept back bars), so it appears I need a wider saddle designed for this upright riding position.

All the brooks saddles that are designed for upright riding have the springs on the back of the saddle. This seems counter productive, as I also have a rear suspension. Not sure what leather brooks saddle I would even order...? Should I avoid the saddle spring suspension with the rear fox shock on my bike?

I use the B67 saddle with the springs, I had it mounted on a spring seatpost pogostick style, did 6000km and broke a rail, the springs never seemed to move much as they are pretty stiff, the cheap seatpost was also stiff, so ordered a new rail assembly and a Kinect seatpost,

The new seatpost really works well and hopefully puts less stress on the seat rails so they should last a lot longer, and yes I like the Brooks saddle as once broken in are very comfortable.

I have a full suspension mountain bike, but I am using it for rail trails (eg no mountain biking). I have a fully upright seating position (stem riser, short stem, swept back bars), so it appears I need a wider saddle designed for this upright riding position.

All the brooks saddles that are designed for upright riding have the springs on the back of the saddle. This seems counter productive, as I also have a rear suspension. Not sure what leather brooks saddle I would even order...? Should I avoid the saddle spring suspension with the rear fox shock on my bike?
It's difficult, if not impossible to get two different suspensions on the back to work well together. Spring rate of the rear suspension will differ from the spring rate of the saddle. This can cause a rougher ride if one is rebounding while the other is compressing.

Well the way I figure it the saddle springs are very stiff, they don't flex very much at all, the Kinect seatpost on the other hand just floats along, my back certainly appreciates it.

It's difficult, if not impossible to get two different suspensions on the back to work well together. Spring rate of the rear suspension will differ from the spring rate of the saddle. This can cause a rougher ride if one is rebounding while the other is compressing.

Interesting, thanks.

So, it appears that Brooks does not even make a saddle for an upright seating position, that does not have a saddle spring suspension on it. I guess that means Brooks is out? Shame, I was going to order one. Correct me if I am wrong.

Interesting, thanks.

So, it appears that Brooks does not even make a saddle for an upright seating position, that does not have a saddle spring suspension on it. I guess that means Brooks is out? Shame, I was going to order one. Correct me if I am wrong.
You saved some cash

I tested a saddle with some spring in on the Kinect and they worked well and the ride was smoother then my normal saddle.

B17 is flatter, when broken in it spreads out a little more with a flat surface. All the touring guys use a B17 including myself for rides over 100 miles. The Swift and Professional are more domed and remain so. They indent at the rear whilst still maintaining a dome like ridge. They can look ridiculous on a very high mileage sample, yet again are wonderfully comfortable. I don't know what that tells me about my shape? I find both are right for me. I've always avoided the Swift. It's not as wide and has a longer nose.

Interesting, thanks.

I have somewhere around 15k miles on my B17 Imperial. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever owned. But I wouldn't try to convince anyone on any saddle. It's so personal and the most important accessory to get right. If you can, try to find a dealer that does bike fitting and sells many brands of saddles to try. Usually an in store service. You'll pay a little more, not double though. I've wasted money on saddles I never liked.

I ride 3 Brooks (one on each bike) One of them is a Storck (£12,000) out n out race bike. Other riders are bemused to see such an "old, vintage" saddle on such a machine. I won't take chances on comfort. So it's twice as heavy! I can ride all day long, with no saddle issues - don't even think about the saddle. And I've been riding them since 1966, with one spare always been broken in gradually. For me that's usually around 600 miles on a Professional about 300 for a B17.
Is that why pros don't use them? Too heavy?

For those that have a B17, do you think it would work for a bike with a relaxed, upright seating position?

Brooks doesn't make a saddle designed for an upright posture that does not have the spring suspension, which I do not want, as my bike has a rear fox shock.

Thank you

Is that why pros don't use them? Too heavy?

Obviously they used to, many moons ago. The odd Pro may still ride a Selle Rolls. Miguel Indurain did all through his career, it's by today standards a substantial saddle. I do know some Pros ride there own saddles not sponsored ones and transfer them from team to team. Modern saddles weigh well under 200g. My Brooks Pro with a titanium frame is around 400g.

For those that have a B17, do you think it would work for a bike with a relaxed, upright seating position?

Brooks doesn't make a saddle designed for an upright posture that does not have the spring suspension, which I do not want, as my bike has a rear fox shock.

Thank you

If your seat is below the handlebars? The B17 is the one to go for.

Ordered the Ergon ST Core Prime at REI for a nice price of $89 down from $150.

Arriving next week, will post feedback.

Thanks y'all

Back