Why are Brooks Saddles known for comfort?

If you buy one let us know how you like it after a few weeks. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

So this has been on my bike for about 50mi. I used the leather dressing from Brooks for about 4 days. It was obviously all it needed. Don't even have to play with the tension adjustment. Just as comfy as my B17's were, maybe more so with the sprung seat. 47196

I decided to order the B17. I didn't care for the ergon saddle I picked up.

I am trying to decide between the B17 and the B17 Imperial. I do generally like the central cutout line on my saddles, which would lead me towards the Imperial, but I do not know if the regular B17 will naturally adjust to accommodate my male anatomy bones, and I would ultimately be better off with the increased amount of leather on the regular B17.

Hoping to get some feedback.

I am trying to decide between the B17 and the B17 Imperial. I do generally like the central cutout line on my saddles, which would lead me towards the Imperial, but I do not know if the regular B17 will naturally adjust to accommodate my male anatomy bones, and I would ultimately be better off with the increased amount of leather on the regular B17.

Been there tossed that. After you give up on the admittedly handsome Brooks , try a Selle Royale Respiro or a Bontrager Boulevard.

Last edited:

Steve is just toying with you!

If you can endure the first few weeks of mild pain, Brooks B17 will be an excellent choice.

I have been riding one since 2014 and this picture was taken in 2016. You can see how it has molded itself to my anatomical structure. I have done 100+ days of 8hr biking/day and I don't think I could have done that on any other saddle.

1584251970132.png

If you can endure the first few weeks of mild pain, Brooks B17 will be an excellent choice.

I have been riding one since 2014 and this picture was taken in 2016. You can see how it has molded itself to my anatomical structure. I have done 100+ days of 8hr biking/day and I don't think I could have done that on any other saddle.

View attachment 47470

Thanks! (for the view!)

Any advice on the B17 vs the B17 Imperial?

Brooks Flyer on a Monster E FS, yes, spring seat on a full suspension, and no I wouldn't go back, originally came with a selle royal which is piece of you know what. You will have to tweek the seat position, angle, and tension here and there, but wait, then it dawns on you one day when you don't even think about the seat and you've reached seat Valhalla!
I would not change my Brooks, period.

Brooks Flyer on a Monster E FS, yes, spring seat on a full suspension, and no I wouldn't go back, originally came with a selle royal which is piece of you know what. You will have to tweek the seat position, angle, and tension here and there, but wait, then it dawns on you one day when you don't even think about the seat and you've reached seat Valhalla!
I would not change my Brooks, period.

In total agreement, I have 5 Brooks in various stages of development. My B17 is just wonderful. It reminds me of what I have to look forward too, has the others progress to reach that nirvana state.

The single biggest difference I find on the Flyer vs the B17 is the Flyer , after using Proofide on the underside as directed, broke in way faster than my 17's ever did. Not saying it's fully broken in but comfy non the less. I think resistance to Brook saddles is mostly an issue of patience.

The single biggest difference I find on the Flyer vs the B17 is the Flyer , after using Proofide on the underside as directed, broke in way faster than my 17's ever did. Not saying it's fully broken in but comfy non the less. I think resistance to Brook saddles is mostly an issue of patience.

Proofide, should be applied underneath to all Brooks saddles when new, and then looked after by a 6 monthly dab. Yes a small amount of patience is required. The Brooks Pro taking the longest to break in. I've had many Pro's over the years along with B17's Presently I'm riding 3 Pro's and a B17. The Pro's never require a tension, unlike the 17 which need an adjustment rarely, but still require one.

The Brooks saddles truly are beautiful. The exquisite detail, robust materials, hand craftsmanship.
All adds up to more than just the ride. I see at least one or two other models in my saddle ownership future .

Proofide, should be applied underneath to all Brooks saddles when new, and then looked after by a 6 monthly dab. Yes a small amount of patience is required. The Brooks Pro taking the longest to break in. I've had many Pro's over the years along with B17's Presently I'm riding 3 Pro's and a B17. The Pro's never require a tension, unlike the 17 which need an adjustment rarely, but still require one.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The Flyer was being compared to the 17 for breaking in ( my ass informed me on that) but I used Proofide on all my Brooks seats "as directed". So any future Brooks owner Jaxx is 100% correct. Treat all Brooks with Proofide and you will have bought your last seat :)

Don't want to start a debate here, but some time ago I found a posting where a Brooks owner, always used proofide on his seats. Was convinced by a friend to try Nixwax. He loved the results. One aspect that impressed him was how it never dulled his seat, amongst other positive aspects. He had a picture posted of his bike, and the seat looked new, as the day it was removed from the box. I debated, my retailer stocked both products, and I tried the Nixwax. I must say, it is cheaper, larger quantity, but most importantly, I am very pleased with every aspect of what the Nixwax has done to my saddle. The leather looks beautiful.47475

"I've used Proofide for years, and I like it. However upon a friend's staunch recommendations, I've tried NikWax on a brand new Brooks B17 Special that I mounted on my Surly ECR. I must admit that I like it much better than Proofide. It sinks into the leather and really looks nice after buffing. Hey, it's for waterproofing climbing boots! Brooks says twice a year for Proofide. NoControl says once a year for Nixwax"

"I've used Proofide for years, and I like it. However upon a friend's staunch recommendations, I've tried NikWax on a brand new Brooks B17 Special that I mounted on my Surly ECR. I must admit that I like it much better than Proofide. It sinks into the leather and really looks nice after buffing. Hey, it's for waterproofing climbing boots! Brooks says twice a year for Proofide. NoControl says once a year for Nixwax"

View attachment 47476

Good to know.

View attachment 47470
Nice pic Ravi. I wished I was kidding. I must have a prostate the size of a grapefruit. Just looking at that saddle makes me wince. If that was the only saddle available to me I would take up jogging and sell my bike.

Nice pic Ravi. I wished I was kidding. I must have a prostate the size of a grapefruit. Just looking at that saddle makes me wince. If that was the only saddle available to me I would take up jogging and sell my bike.

Steve, have you tried tilting the tip of the saddle slightly down(it can make a significant difference)?

Back