Who spent a lot on their E-bike? Was it worth it?

I would rather have an Ebike than an Escooter or motorcycle , and so to me your comparison is apples and oranges. like Dave Matthew with his guitars I have spent twice as much on a drum kit as my ebike. And if I had the spare cash on hand would buy a Riese and Muller Load , just to ferry my grandaughter and a few groceries around in!
Hi Steve. Im not comparing a bicycle to a motorcycle. Just stating that ebikes at that price range are really big boy toys with big price tags. Just trying to get a sense of what people feel is 'worth it' and what's overkill.

Actually the cheaper the ebike , the less you will save. Is guaranteed that a 1grand ebike will not last too long and you’ll make many visits to the local deAler. From 2k and up is a good price to start.

To answer your q-
My 1st ebike 600$ and spent another 1.5k on repairs/upgrades in 1year

-2nd ebike - about 4grand - 5years warranty, 2years on the bat., but i can build the baterry myself after degradation. And after 3k miles already ,ZERO issues . Probably i had spent 50$ on electricity and maybe another 5-700$ just on fancy accessories just b/c it saved me huge amounts of mulah and TIME already.
Ps- also add about 5-7$ in rags for the ebike wash !

Interesting. So you thing to get quality, the floor is about $2,000. Would you assign a ceiling, where at a certain dollar amount, the benefits plateau? Would you call some brands overpriced or think they all provide different value for their higher costs? Thanks!

1. At the core, lithium-ion batteries are expensive per WHr. There is no getting around this. Lower bound is around 50 cents per WHr for an assembled pack, retail pricing. So for 1000 WHr which is what I would consider to be just good enough to actually go places and do things at speeds that are competitive with car travel. So that's around 500 dollars alone in the battery pack.

2. Good motors are ultimately still a lot of money. A G510.1000 from Bafang is what I would consider right around what is actually useful. So call it 600 dollars for the motor, throttle, display, etc...

3. A bike for the base will end up being somewhere around 1500 USD street price, especially if you want full suspension and components that aren't Walmart bike tier where the fork is downright dangerous, brakes that don't work properly, derailleurs that take forever to shift, etc.

4. Add 25% because of the US tariffs.

You're at 3.3k and this doesn't even include customer support, a warranty, or anything really. Let's be kind and say the model is direct to consumer with no middlemen and we only do remote support and leave LBS labor charges to the consumer. 3800 USD is around what you get.

Is the BOM cheaper? Yes. Are you actually going to get that price? I'm very doubtful about that. And before you say that the ~15% margin the ebike OEM makes is excessive, that's the price you pay for being able to actually do things like chargebacks if their support violates their warranty terms.

I will say though this makes certain assumptions like you don't want a carbon fiber frame, you don't want super high end bike components, etc. You can easily make a bike that costs 7-8k before electrification if you start going down that path.

Last edited:
Let me continue from the mountain bike perspective. The bikes are heavy....50+ lbs. The geometries are weird....doesnt seem like most manufacturers have mastered how the weight should sit. The engines are winy and underpowered (mids at 250W) and the batteries really aren't there as far as tech goes. A full day of riding is a stretch for most ebikes, much less a weekend in the mountains.

Hub drives overheat and feel disconnected, mid drives snap chains, give drag and feel notchy. Sure todays bikes are great and lots of fun, but still in an infancy.

For an amateur, you already have a lot of opinions about what is good and bad about the current state of e-bike design. You make it sound like you have ridden all of them, extensively.

@The duke You pretend to ask questions and want answers but call people names, lay down markers with challenging "common wisdom" and clearly aren't interested in the answers most provide. Your intent is quite clear from the basic lack of civility. This thread is a classic flame trap and invitation to conflict for its own sake.

So many of you people on this thread are a bunch of insecure "how dare you question me" elitists. I asked an honest question that was meant to help me. I like to make smart buying decisions. I really didn't know where to set my budget amount. Typically, the more you spend, the better you get....to a point. Then the law of diminishing returns sets in. I was hoping some of you would give me perspective on this decision. What I got were a bunch of snarky responses. I spend what i want. ? Don't question me ?

Well sorry some of you feel so threatened. Sorry i used scooter as my comparion. Don't let me bruise your tender egos by calling your ebike a scooter. If i had known you all were so sensitive, I would have said thoroughbread steed or Dom Perignon. Sooooooooory.

I was really hoping people would say "well, components and materials keep getting better up to $XXXXX but after that its personal choice or for the highly compeditive rider"

Or "if you invest more into tech, you'll get X more years of a compeditive mountain bike", or if you pay pay for brands like X, Y or Z, you'll get far superior quality and never regret it.

Instead, I got a bunch of butt hurt old men giving snarky defensive answers. My takeaway from the majority of responses is this is a group of people who overspend on their hobbies, just like with any other hobby, and don't you dare question it becuase even their families think their sick. Sad.

If you want satisfying answers to your questions it usually works better if you don't hurl insults and if you try not to ask troll-y questions in the first place.

Your post raises some interesting questions. One of them is about "overspending" on a hobby. Since this is all just numbers here you should be able to put a precise number on what you think is "overspending" on a hobby. What makes you think that your number is right? How would you justify it?

A reasonable adult may ask why you are so concerned about what other people are doing.

Well reported. I have nothing to add.
Most of this rings true . I would add that I have yet to see a perfect vehicle. It is not a Maclaren Senna today anymore than it was once a Model T and compromises must always be made. My idea of a perfect bike would also include the ability to offer 100 % protectection from all accidents for the rider. I know am not going to live long enough to see this happen but I can enjoy the thought that a bike the likes of which I do now own was only a sci -fi dream of the future in my youth.

Edited so as not to be offensive:

I see ebikes going for well over $7000, sometimes over $12,000, and I occassionally myself, who buys this stuff? That's getting into motorcycle territory or at least electric scooter territory...

I second what Ravi wrote. I never get why folks are so concerned with what another person might have spent on their bike. Can't you ask the same question for just about any non-essential good we purchase in our capitalist system? Lots of people drive around in $50K cars, $100K cars and buy million dollar homes. Can't you ask that of anyone you see on a daily basis anywhere in our country? "Hey, why'd you spend $60K on that car when you could have bought that other car for $35K"? If I have the disposable income and choose to spend my money on a bike rather than a more expensive car (than my Forester that is) then why do you care about my consumption priorities? I'd probably never spend more than $35K on a new car (today's prices) but I'd buy a $6K touring bike in a heartbeat. Maybe the consumption choices I've made in some aspects of my life have more than paid for that $7k e-bike.

I second what Ravi wrote. I never get why folks are so concerned with what another person might have spent on their bike. Can't you ask the same question for just about any non-essential good we purchase in our capitalist system? Lots of people drive around in $50K cars, $100K cars and buy million dollar homes. Can't you ask that of anyone you see on a daily basis anywhere in our country? "Hey, why'd you spend $60K on that car when you could have bought that other car for $35K"? If I have the disposable income and choose to spend my money on a bike rather than a more expensive car (than my Forester that is) then why do you care about my consumption priorities? I'd probably never spend more than $35K on a new car (today's prices) but I'd buy a $6K touring bike in a heartbeat. Maybe the consumption choices I've made in some aspects of my life have more than paid for that $7k e-bike.
Spot on. I always bristle at folks (in real life) who's first question is. "What did that bike cost" They don't want to know about the technology, fun factor or benefits. My answer is generally "quite a bit but well worth it". As has been said, there are those who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

“I never get why folks are so concerned with what another person might have spent on their bike. Can't you ask the same question for just about any non-essential good we purchase in our capitalist system?”

My assumption is that a fair number of these mildly intrusive threads have a marketing purpose. As a rule, I choose not to participate. The OP may genuinely be interested in our after-purchase “regrets,” if any, but a critical reader should be able to tease this out from commentary here and other resources, both off- and online.

I have a lot of strangers ask me about pricing offline. I usually refer them to the manufacturer’s website because the arched brows and wide eyes give away what question is coming next.

Some brands try to cultivate a “make your neighbors swoon” impression. It is certainly fair to ask Was it Worth it? but as this thread shows, it is a bit of a personal matter which many are not interested in discussing with strangers or marketers.

Spot on. I always bristle at folks (in real life) who's first question is. "What did that bike cost" They don't want to know about the technology, fun factor or benefits. My answer is generally "quite a bit but well worth it". As has been said, there are those who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

There was a thread going at one time about how often we are asked by strangers "how much did that cost"?

My first day out recently, after the bitter cold January and February we had, I went to the barbershop and then to the grocery store. I was asked once, by strangers, at each stop, how much the bike cost (this was my Tern Vektron Gen 2). And it was the first question they asked. It isn't like they made an in-road with small-talk before popping the question. I mean there was no "hey, nice day for riding huh? cool bike - is that electric? how much do they cost by the way"? Nope, it was straight and to the point. The first gentleman was in the barber's chair and as soon as I was through the door it was "how much did that set you back"? The 2nd gentleman was the most notable. He was probably in his 80s, spoke with a heavy East European accent and he just strode right up to me outside the grocery store and asked "how much"? I replied "about $4k". He just walked away shaking his head and said twice "too much, too much".

I guess I don't mind the questions since e-bikes are a novelty but I still think it is a weird way to address a stranger. I'd never think to go up to a stranger in the grocery store parking lot and say "hey, how much did you pay for your Audi"?

So many of you people on this thread are a bunch of insecure "how dare you question me" elitists. I asked an honest question that was meant to help me. I like to make smart buying decisions. I really didn't know where to set my budget amount. Typically, the more you spend, the better you get....to a point. Then the law of diminishing returns sets in. I was hoping some of you would give me perspective on this decision. What I got were a bunch of snarky responses. I spend what i want. ? Don't question me ?

Well sorry some of you feel so threatened. Sorry i used scooter as my comparion. Don't let me bruise your tender egos by calling your ebike a scooter. If i had known you all were so sensitive, I would have said thoroughbread steed or Dom Perignon. Sooooooooory.

I was really hoping people would say "well, components and materials keep getting better up to $XXXXX but after that its personal choice or for the highly compeditive rider"

Or "if you invest more into tech, you'll get X more years of a compeditive mountain bike", or if you pay pay for brands like X, Y or Z, you'll get far superior quality and never regret it.

Instead, I got a bunch of butt hurt old men giving snarky defensive answers. My takeaway from the majority of responses is this is a group of people who overspend on their hobbies, just like with any other hobby, and don't you dare question it becuase even their families think their sick. Sad.
The real hilarity of this post is that you thought we took offense from your original post comparing eBikes to scooters and edited it. But then you saw no problem with this personal attack post with name calling included, and let it stand.

I got mine on sale for $2,700, down from $4,500. While that may not be expensive for some, it seem like a lot to me for a bicycle with some batteries hanging off of it. I did my research and bought a known name from a local dealer. The jurry is still out on this purchase. So far I couldn't be happier. I noticed that someone posted some information about the Cannondale Contra-E recently, saying the reason it went on sale was because there were issues with the motor and frame. If that turns out to be the case, I won't be so happy but so far it has proven to be a reliable, fun and sturdy ride. If I start to think too much about the cost, I just have to remember my last car repair bill. Strange how we think nothing of spending thousands on car repair. I just don't want to be part of someone's research project on how to properly build an ebike. If it proves to be a long lasting, reliable vehicle it will have been more than worth the price I paid.

As said above this thread does amplify the question we all hear “how much did it cost”. It is in the same category as “what do you do?” Maybe i’m misinformed but this seems to be a macho American greeting based on a consumerist/capitalist culture.

I replied to this thread in a similar way as Alaskan and a few others relating to the therapeutic benefits and the peace of mind of a well crafted machine, but after the duke’s somewhat age related insults deleted my post and for the first time ignored a forum member. As I get older maybe the curmudgeon in me surfaces but I have enough 40 year olds in BMWs on the roads that raise my blood pressure and surely don't need the online counterpart.

There was a thread going at one time about how often we are asked by strangers "how much did that cost"?

My first day out recently, after the bitter cold January and February we had, I went to the barbershop and then to the grocery store. I was asked once, by strangers, at each stop, how much the bike cost (this was my Tern Vektron Gen 2). And it was the first question they asked. It isn't like they made an in-road with small-talk before popping the question. I mean there was no "hey, nice day for riding huh? cool bike - is that electric? how much do they cost by the way"? Nope, it was straight and to the point. The first gentleman was in the barber's chair and as soon as I was through the door it was "how much did that set you back"? The 2nd gentleman was the most notable. He was probably in his 80s, spoke with a heavy East European accent and he just strode right up to me outside the grocery store and asked "how much"? I replied "about $4k". He just walked away shaking his head and said twice "too much, too much".

I guess I don't mind the questions since e-bikes are a novelty but I still think it is a weird way to address a stranger. I'd never think to go up to a stranger in the grocery store parking lot and say "hey, how much did you pay for your Audi"?

Somewhere deep down in their mind, they sense that that's the coolest thing ever and is just an instant emotion to ask ...it happened so often too in my case. I may answer 4-600$ from now on just not to raise q’s and keep a low profile. They have them on sale @Walmart ?...

I for one was certainly not brought up this way, and was always taught that it was beyond rude to ask such questions, or similar questions about how much money someone makes or how much money someone has. If or when someone has asked me such questions I always assume they are sizing me up for nefarious purposes. Maybe I'm wrong but the consequences if I was right are bad enough. Bluntly I don't feel obligated to spare time for rude people.

I think in the end it is all a matter of perspective. If you asked the typical Kenyan if a $2500 e-bike was "reasonable" I am sure the answer would be a resounding "NO" and they would by and large consider such a purchase silly. On the other side of it there are a number of very spendy and spiffy acoustic bikes in my neighborhood -- there is a guy a few miles from me with a Breadwinner that easily cost $10 grand. Which makes a $7500 e-bike seem downright thrifty. Although I will admit after having ridden more than a few very high-end bicycles that if you can appreciate what they offer they can be worth the money.

And what do they offer? Well, if you look at mass-produced bicycles, even ones of very high quality, you often find yourself in tradeoffs between stability and maneuverability and liveliness. A more expensive bike can often work around those tradeoffs and give you a bike much more stable than any $2000 bike and also still very maneuverable and lively. You also see some very high-end steel-framed bikes which are much lighter than any mass-produced steel-frame bike (though not as light as a carbon bike) yet are just as strong.

Interesting. So you thing to get quality, the floor is about $2,000. Would you assign a ceiling, where at a certain dollar amount, the benefits plateau? Would you call some brands overpriced or think they all provide different value for their higher costs? Thanks!

To get average quality is 2k.
For a good quality 2.5-4k.
High end 4k and UP !
Above 7k Most have a light frame/ carbon fiber:kevlar frame or titanium, 1kw pack, 750watts-1kw motor, gps, 5years warranty, free maintenance labor, Di 2 shifting, 1k $?.
So far Stromer St2/St5, Bulls Di2 , and a few other above 7k are definetly worth it !!
That’s why people are buying them and you do your unpaid research here b/c this is the place to find willing volunteers, right ? ?
Going for a nice ride now, take care.

I researched ebikes for almost 2 years before buying. I wanted a US brand (imported parts but assembled in the US) with a nationwide network of dealers and a great warranty with excellent customer service. The bike had to be well built for someone my size and have the features I needed. The bike I chose cost $4700 and I don't regret paying that much for a product that works well for me.
What bikes did you buy after all the research?

You must be fun at parties.:D

Back