Who spent a lot on their E-bike? Was it worth it?

There's certainly plenty of evidence of e-bike wheels not being up to the increased weight and loads they must bear as well.

I've read articles of pedals falling off on "top end" e-mountain bikes and it wasn't due to lack of maintenance, it was cheap parts (not the pedal itself that failed). I'll try and find the article if anyone is interested.

I'd really like to see that article. In my experience pedals or crank arms fall off for a reason, and in the vast majority of cases it is not due to cheap parts, it is due to improper assembly.

I'd really like to see that article. In my experience pedals or crank arms fall off for a reason, and in the vast majority of cases it is not due to cheap parts, it is due to improper assembly.

It's amongst the giant section, an owner of a 2017 who posted in several different threads because his pedal fell out (yes, HE attached the pedals. )

There is a common misconception that because of the way pedals are threaded, that they are self-tightening. While this is true, in practice, I have seen hundreds of crank arms stripped out because the pedals were never tightened with the proper amount of torque during assembly. If a pedal is not tightened down enough, it rocks in the threads, chewing up the softer aluminum of the crank arm, until it eventually it falls off.

This is an experience I had which seems appropriate here:

I was riding a remote section of trail a few years ago and came up on a woman limping and walking her Cannondale Scalpel-SI. The pedal bearings had fallen out on BOTH sides within a mile of each other and the pedals came off the studs. She was forced to pedal using just the studs until it became too painful. The bike was less than a year old and had been purchased new at her local LBS. The studs were tight on the crank arms and had been installed correctly. It was a part failure on a fairly new rather expensive bike.

My truck was nearby so I offered to take her and the bike to the nearest shop. The nearest LBS was 40 miles away so instead, I removed the broken pedal studs from her bike and replaced them with the pedals off my spare bike. I learned a long time ago that a pedal wrench is a handy thing to carry in my truck tool kit.

Back