Which commuter ebike? Specialized 2022 Como/Vado 5.0 vs 2022 Trek Allant+ 7S

@MikeSL1 I do not like batteries that are visible on the outside of the frame specially permanently like most of the no name ebike brands sold via small shops in NZ. I also did not want to spend an extra $1000 for extended battery specifically and carry that extra weight around specifically and again hanging outside. I did try the test ride on 2021 Como SL which I liked while I was riding on flat road. The 2x power it provided was good considering it is also an lighter bike but when I got a hill, I had to pedal much harder that I had to with the Trek Allant+ 7S which had more than twice the torque comparatively to the SL. This is why I went with Turbo Como 5.0 which has 2.5 x more torque than the SL variant. It also has 2 x bigger battery, newer TCD with ability to lock the motor to deter theft and few other minor bits all for an extra $500 compared to the SL.I want to commute comfortably to my office which will be 25KM one way so battery range is important to me and power so I can go up inclines without a lot of effort. The 90Nm torque will come very handy pulling the kids bike trailer behind which weighs 22KG + 18KG toddler and 5KG baby which will be prob around 10KG when it will be 12 months old before I put her in the bike trailer as well.

@MikeSL1: Please understand. I own both a 45 km/h Vado 5.0 and a derestricted Vado SL 4.0 with Range Extender. I would have never recommended a Vado/Como SL to a commuter such as @powersquad. And I know what I am saying:
View attachment 110499

Full power Vado/Como are commuter e-bikes. Vado SL is a leisure/fitness e-bike. Como SL is a city e-bike. (Vado SL is a bike that is slowed down by mere headwind because it has so low motor power and is to be ridden in pretty upright position).

It is 28 mph in New Zealand, which does not mean these e-bikes can achieve that speed under regular conditions.
We all have a view. I am a group rider and I have ridden 15,000 miles not cissy boy km but miles in 22 months in the UK Chilterns and I also think that I know what I am talking about so we should agree to disagree, but in all fairness I do not care, I was only trying to make a suggestion, but apparently you know better, not for yourself but for someone else
I think this is the end of the conversation

@MikeSL1: You are a roadie and your own perspective is different.
I have ridden 11,100 miles since August 2019 but it was six different e-bikes. One of these e-bikes was a Creo, and in all honesty, I hated that e-bike :)
What I am trying to do in this thread is to give a good advice to a fellow commuter, not to tell him my e-bike is the best one. To put it clear, I do not own a Como. My friend does. I recommended a Como 5.0 to her to her utmost satisfaction.

1640815575177.png

I could have bought it. No, thank you very much.

Last edited:
Couple of questions if anyone can please help answer.

1. I would like to add a bike frame lock as well for small stops like cafes or dairy shops (connivence stores) that will be under 1 minute stop or at cafe where the bike will be next to me at the table so I do not want to use the kryptonite chain lock. Can the same Specialized battery Abus lock key be keyed alike to order a Abus frame lock?

2. The handlebar on Como leaves no flat surface to install a phone mount. Any ideas or of a mount that I can use to install a phone mount?

2. The handlebar on Como leaves no flat surface to install a phone mount. Any ideas or of a mount that I can use to install a phone mount?
1641020379081.png

I'm almost sure there is enough of real estate there. Am I wrong? What mount do you plan to use? Quadlock?

No idea about the cafe lock.

@Stefan Mikes you are right. I tried to find a video or a press shot of 2022 Como showing the front of the handlebar from riders POV but did not find anything suitable online to gauge how much free space there is as the right hand brake and it’s associated cables are very close to that empty handlebar space which looked tight as it is. I just realised that the 2021 Como SL comes with the same handlebar design as 2022 model and found plenty of review videos on that and took a screenshot from one of them that shows the handlebar and yeah look like there should be enough space on right hand side to mount a phone since left and side has a bell mounted.

Attachments

• 0EE78F25-1E65-4B4A-826B-1AB5E4DA2062.png
    0EE78F25-1E65-4B4A-826B-1AB5E4DA2062.png
    2 MB · Views: 277
Little disappointed with Rose Bikes as almost after 10 days of placing the order, they emailed to advise that free shipping was a mistake by their website and if I needed the Hamax bike trailer shipped along with rest of order, it would cost 560 euros via DHL. Their website also does not let’s the user or staff just remove an item from an order after it has been placed. I had to cancel the entire order and I ordered only the bits that I could find at Rose Bikes which is mainly the shopping panniers, trunk bag and the big laptop pannier bag and that came out to 37 euros for shipping.

After this happened, I placed the order separately first for the Hamax bike trailer with Bike Components and they shipped the exact same trailer via DHL for 40 euros shipping to New Zealand on 5th Jan which was the day I placed the order with them and I received the trailer box today. Very impressed. Another good thing with Bike Component over Rose Bikes is that their website displays prices excl VAT and charges me excl VAT upon ordering whereas Rose Bikes places a hold on credit card with VAT incl prices and when they ship the goods, they remove the hold and charge credit card again excl VAT.

I decided to place the bike lock and few other bits order via Bike Components that I had originally ordered with Rose Bikes as BC ships much quicker and cheaper too plus they charge me excl VAT upon ordering. Rose Bikes replacement order I placed, shipped after 4 days but the tracking details are still not visible.

Wohoo! It's finally here. I picked up my 2022 Turbo Como 5.0 yesterday.

I have taken it for short rides so far under 3KM couple of times around the suburb. I have attached the bike trailer and will try to take the toddler and baby for a ride in the evening. It's so smooth to ride with the front fork suspension and suspension seat post it has come with. I am happy with the supplied gel saddle, which is 200mm wide and so far, I have not had a sore bum or felt uncomfortable for the couple of rides I have taken.
Built in Garmin radar at the rear is cool. It started alerting me via sounds and haptic feedback on the handles and displays how many cars at what distance are approaching behind me. The nighttime ride I took yesterday was great as the front lights are bright. I picked up the Specialized Mode helmet for both myself and my wife and the Specialized Elite Strix taillights. I have installed them at the rear of both of our helmets, so it makes us clearly visible at height. The M size frame is perfect for my 5'9" height with seat post still having some adjustment left to lift further.

The motor is silent. I have not paid a great deal of attention yet to battery consumption, but I have ridden it on Eco, Sports and Turbo. I can ride this fine even in eco but I suspect I will keep it on Sports most of the time. I did hit 45KM/h with strong headwinds on the nighttime ride on Turbo mode without any issues. I got to 34KM/h on Sports mode with my unfit body ok as well. The bike turns at speed with confidence. The tires are great. I was turning into streets at speed without braking or slowing down.

What do I not like? The pedals for some strange reason are too low at their lowest point, I think. I hit the road when turning at relatively the same speed I am riding at. One pedal now has a small scrape at its corner but luckily pedals are easily replaceable if these get damaged from scrapes.

Attachments

• Bike 5.png
    Bike 5.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 284
  • Bike 3.png
    Bike 3.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 302
  • Bike 2.png
    Bike 2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 304
  • Bike 1.png
    Bike 1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 287
Congratulations!!! That is a beautiful bike. I think Spesh hit it out of the park with this new model Como. I think it's absolutely perfect. Black like a Mercedes S Class.

I have the Trek Allant+8S, (captain obvious ...) and love it but we had to make a couple of changes including replacing the handlebar stem with an adjustable more upright seating position but that put too much weight on our seats so those had to be replaced but still not quite good enough so Redshift Shockstop suspension seatposts did the trick. So now it looks at lot like your new Como and rides a dream.

Step thru is the future. (we have the stagger frames which are close to perfect) but really, what is the point of anything in your way of getting on and off? I don't care what it looks like. I'm usually riding with my beautiful wife anyway ... haha

Oh, yes, we both pull the grands on the yellow bike trailer. e-bikes are absolutely magnificent for toting the kiddos. they love it and so do we.

ENJOY! tim

Attachments

• tim naomi trek kid carrier (3-15-2022).pdf
    157.6 KB · Views: 232
Wow nice set up with the trailer and really nice bike that is what I have been looking at for my wife and I’m undecided on the Como or the Vado for me once my knee replacement surgery is done

Wow nice set up with the trailer and really nice bike that is what I have been looking at for my wife and I’m undecided on the Como or the Vado for me once my knee replacement surgery is done
If possible I recommend matching sets of ebikes in the appropriate sizes for you and the woman. You will get the exact same experience making each ride a more enjoyable team experience. Plus same service parts accessories manual of arms. It’s worked great for our ebike purchases. Tim

Thanks Tim I have thought about that but also my wife has MS so she might not be riding on some days so I’m also considering the Vado because of it being a little more off pavement then the Como where she wouldn’t go anyway

If possible I recommend matching sets of ebikes in the appropriate sizes for you and the woman. You will get the exact same experience making each ride a more enjoyable team experience. Plus same service parts accessories manual of arms. It’s worked great for our ebike purchases. Tim
Interchangeable batteries are good idea but I wouldn't get locked into same model bikes. A frame that works for one rider may not for other.

Interchangeable batteries are good idea but I wouldn't get locked into same model bikes. A frame that works for one rider may not for other.
We have matching stagger frames on the Allants. These are good for both of us. Not a fan of diamond frames at 54 years old. Dropper seat posts make mounting dismounting super easy on our Powerflys. Tim

My 2922 Como 4.0 with the 700w battery gets a lot of miles per charge. You should have no issues. I changed the seat post and saddle for non-non-suspension post and an Ergon saddle. The stock suspension post didn't work for me. The Ergon saddle is dynamic and padded.

Thanks Tim I have thought about that but also my wife has MS so she might not be riding on some days so I’m also considering the Vado because of it being a little more off pavement then the Como where she wouldn’t go anyway
Other than the 2022 Como 4.0 mentioned below, my wife and I have the Como, hers and Vado, me. Both 2021 5.Os, Amazing bikes. She likes the 21 5.0 more than the 22 4.0.

Back