Where To Vacation With Paved Bicycle Trails, E-Bike Rentals & Nearby Lodging?

Jim1348

My wife and I started e-biking a year ago. We live in Minnesota. She mentioned recently that she would like to find a place to vacation at that has paved bicycle trails, e-bike rentals and nearby lodging?

The URL just happens to be the first thing that I looked at when I Googled this. She (we) would prefer somewhere warmer than Minnesota, so we could go when it is still cold here. So, maybe March/April or even November/
December. Possibly, Florida/Georgia/Alabama. Or, even towards Arizona/New Mexico/Texas.

I can at least bump this thread for you by mentioning Traillink.com, there are others, as well, but it does take some advance planning, bikable trails and nearby businesses are often seasonal at best.

Pennsylvania and New York state have nice cabins at every state park I have tried, but the SE states often did not, and many trails aren'tsuitableforeither bikes or especially ebikes. Most busy tourist attractions seem to have an eBike rental office or two, but hours open are very inconsistent .

I started ( and sadly abandoned) a thread long ago on this topic that got some good responses ... search for rail trails across the USA.
Good luck and a great question.

Pacific Grove / Monterey California

Stay at the Clement near the Aquarium, rent Rad Power bikes across the street, and take the MUP to Lovers Point and then Ocean View Blvd to 17 Mile Drive in Pebble Beach.

Quite a lot of paved paths and rentals in Colorado. It also gets rather warm down here on the Front Range in the Summer. You can stay in downtown Denver, rent from REI, etc and go a different direction each day. You'll find a lot of company that way though. MUPs are everywhere though so you can stay in the burbs if downtown isn't your bag.

Two places in WA that are good, even though neither technically has "trails":

San Juan Island, WA -- there are multiple locations renting e-bikes, there are multiple places to stay, and the roads are quiet and well-suited to cycling.
Stehekin, WA -- there is at least one venue renting e-bikes (I think Rad Rovers). There are only a few miles of paved road but there is quite a few more miles of accessible unpaved roads. The roads are very quiet as there is no direct vehicle access (all vehicles there have to come up via barge at considerable expense).

At both you can find decent and comfortable lodging or vacation rentals.

Quite a lot of paved paths and rentals in Colorado. It also gets rather warm down here on the Front Range in the Summer. You can stay in downtown Denver, rent from REI, etc and go a different direction each day. You'll find a lot of company that way though. MUPs are everywhere though so you can stay in the burbs if downtown isn't your bag.
I biked around Denver a little in December... good paved paths, warm, but it rained most of the week ... maybe the PA weather followed me. It never rains like that there according to the locals.

A lot depends on the distance you're willing to drive, the length of your stay, the time of year and how much riding you like to do in a day. Concentrations of good quality trails near a single hotel or campground are hard to find. I've been travelling all over the eastern US in search of places like this and have found precious few.

If you plan to stay a week or more in the same location, and want to ride a variety of nice trails, I'm afraid you will be hard pressed to find an ideal location. This is especially true if you seek a warm weather climate. Some of the more enjoyable trails however, are worth riding several times during the same stay. Long length trails are also attractive since you can choose a hotel or camp mid way on the trail and ride in two directions. I frequently do this and sometimes change hotel locations 2 or 3 times on a 7-10 day trip.

I've ridden several of the trails mentioned in your link and all are indeed worth a trip, albeit a short one. It should be noted that some however involve riding on public roads with vehicle traffic. To me anyway, that negates a lot of the scenic pleasure since you need to be cautious of vehicles around you.

The best approach I've found is to take frequent 4 to 5 day trips instead of longer ones and ride 3 or 4 nice trails while staying in a single location. Also, don't discount trails that aren't paved. Many of the best trails I've found have well maintained packed gravel surfaces. I posted this list of my favorite trails a few years ago and many can be combined into a single trip. Depending on conditions, most are rideable April thru November. Unfortunately for you, they are mostly in the eastern US:

For example, I frequently combine #1, #2, #4 and #20 in a 5 day trip to Cumberland MD. I can recommend others if you're ever out this way.

Good luck in your quest and please post what you find!

Two places that are sort of close to you. The Quad Cities of Iowa and Illinois has trails. The Illinois side has a long one that goes north a very long ways. I’ve personally ridden this one, it’s all paved and a lot of it runs along the Mississippi River. We stayed at an area called “The Bend”. There is a Hyatt hotel there but we rented a VRBO place in an apartment building next to the Hyatt. It sits right on the bike trail.

Another one is near Des Moines Iowa. Goggle “cool bike bridge in Iowa“ and you will find info on the trail. It has a very interesting bridge. I haven’t ridden this one but will try to get there this year.

Pacific Grove / Monterey California

Stay at the Clement near the Aquarium, rent Rad Power bikes across the street, and take the MUP to Lovers Point and then Ocean View Blvd to 17 Mile Drive in Pebble Beach.
I live here and concur. Also there is Big Sur Adventures - a second rental shop - over at Asilomar just up the hill a few yards from the Fishwife, which in turn is located at the Beachcomber Inn just off the beach. That MUP can be taken for several miles down the coast, thru Fort Ord Dunes Park. There are all sorts of touristy things to do all over the place here. Most of them are bike-accessible. Streets seldom have speed limits over 25 mph. But if you are here during tourist season... stick to the paths. I'll be taking that Ocean View Blvd route today for giggles... need to get a ride in before the rains hit again tonight.

20230210_130640.jpg
PXL_20220827_232205195.jpg

You might look at coastal San Diego County — especially Del Mar through Oceanside. Great scenery and bike infrastructure, plenty of bike rentals and places to stay. But nothing here's cheap — especially the lodging.

20230309_172225.jpg

Oceanside tends to be less expensive, and the biking there's great — perhaps the best bet for your purposes. (Look up the San Luis River MUP.) Less gentrified than parts south, it retains a fun old SoCal beach/surfing town vibe.

20230302_103618.jpg

I normally avoid immersive experiences in public bathrooms, but this mural in the Beach Break Cafe men's room in south Oceanside really puts you in that wave.

Have to admit, I suggest this with some reluctance. Oblivious tourists on ebikes have become a scourge here, but I'm sure you'll ride responsibly.

Last edited:
The Quad Cities of Iowa and Illinois has trails. The Illinois side has a long one that goes north a very long ways.
Agree with that. We live in QC and that trail is main ride area for us. Although we haven't had time to do it yet QC to Savahana area and B&B overnight seems nice

In the summer and fall, people like me think about going to Minnesota to ride your bike trails. In the winter, we really enjoyed Florida's bike trails. In January., they are uncrowded when it's below 60F. and deserted when it's under 50F. We brought our ebikes, but I saw lots or rental shops. We have ridden most of the major FL trails in the lower SW half of the state.
. P1100222.jpgP1100207.jpg
However, since Covid, we haven't gone anywhere, but hope to change that. West Coast is too far for us. I;d like to spend some winter time in Arizona.

I am in the Coastal Wine Country north of San Francisco. There is a lot to do and see and the food is really good. You can do a day trip to San Francisco with bikes on the train and ferry. Or take the train with bikes up to Healdsburg. The coast is 20 miles west and the historic town of Sonoma is ten miles east where you can sip wine legally in the public park. There is a large range of accommodations including a KOA with cabins. In the heart of town you can rent small water craft. This is a very bike friendly area and I know someone who could rent you some classy bikes that do not look or feel like tourist rentals.
1678744840996.jpeg

1678745035636.jpeg
1678745124011.jpeg
1678745148108.jpeg
1678745235796.jpeg
1678745303972.jpeg
1678745365557.jpeg

1678745897488.jpeg

Jim, If you want to see more go here. My town is called Petaluma. It is not too touristy and does not get overrun. But it does have many great places to eat from Swedish, Peruvian, to Puerto Rican. My favorite is a French place overlooking the water that serves breakfast and lunch.
1678750779692.jpeg
1678750790337.jpeg
1678750801542.jpeg

I live here and concur. Also there is Big Sur Adventures - a second rental shop - over at Asilomar just up the hill a few yards from the Fishwife, which in turn is located at the Beachcomber Inn just off the beach. That MUP can be taken for several miles down the coast, thru Fort Ord Dunes Park. There are all sorts of touristy things to do all over the place here. Most of them are bike-accessible. Streets seldom have speed limits over 25 mph. But if you are here during tourist season... stick to the paths. I'll be taking that Ocean View Blvd route today for giggles... need to get a ride in before the rains hit again tonight.

View attachment 149201View attachment 149202
My wife and I rented and rode our first ebikes there, while staying at the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa in Aug 2020. Rode down the coast to pebble beach. Came home and purchased two ebikes. Now I have five bikes. "Somebody Stop Me!"

View attachment 149201View attachment 149202
Big thumbs up on the area around Asilomar State Beach. Ditto for Carmel State Beach and the exquisite Point Lobos. Check on ebike rules in advance.

Big thumbs up on the area around Asilomar State Beach. Ditto for Carmel State Beach and the exquisite Point Lobos. Check on ebike rules in advance.
I am more of an urban rider using the bike to get around town and run errands, so I don't usually go into Carmel by bike. I haven't been to Point Lobos since I was a kid but I remember it as a real eye-opener. I used to carry a zero gee recliner out onto the rocks Just off to the side of Spanish Bay there, park it near the water and read a book , but nowadays with the constructed path thats there, much else is roped off and you really can't do that anymore.

I did see @smorgasbord's thread on his two Apollos for the first time today and saw they were able to ride into Pebble Beach along the 17-mile drive. Last time I tried riding past one of the gates (I was in college so mid 1980's) I was tossed out because I wasn't a resident. Things must have changed, which is for the better. In prior years I rode my road bike in there and it was great.

Does REI rent E bikes??

Back