Where To Vacation With Paved Bicycle Trails, E-Bike Rentals & Nearby Lodging?

I haven't been to Point Lobos since I was a kid....

I did see @smorgasbord's thread on his two Apollos for the first time today and saw they were able to ride into Pebble Beach along the 17-mile drive.
You really need to do something about that Point Lobos problem. Places where granite and water meet tend to be high on the scenic beauty scale. Somebody turned that knob to 11 at Point Lobos.

I can only imagine what the 17 Mile Drive would be like on a bike.

There are numerous places renting e-bike in the SF Bay area and one located in Pacific Grove that rents e-bikes for use in Monterey and riding 17-mile drive in Pebble Beach. The 17-mile drive road and others in Pebble Beach have little or no traffic on any day of the week. Tourist drive slowly to look at the ocean and they only are on 17 mile drive and never on the other roads in Pebble Beach.

As a former icehead from MinDak area, spent lots of time in Bemidji area. Lots of great trails there, almost all paved dedicated to bikes in summer and snowmobile in winter. Here in FL the rail to trails are pretty extensive. OP was correct too, when it gets below 60 here, no one ventures out, you have the place to yourself.

Two places in WA that are good, even though neither technically has "trails":

San Juan Island, WA -- there are multiple locations renting e-bikes, there are multiple places to stay, and the roads are quiet and well-suited to cycling.
Stehekin, WA -- there is at least one venue renting e-bikes (I think Rad Rovers). There are only a few miles of paved road but there is quite a few more miles of accessible unpaved roads. The roads are very quiet as there is no direct vehicle access (all vehicles there have to come up via barge at considerable expense).

At both you can find decent and comfortable lodging or vacation rentals.
I noticed that cars and trucks around Stehekin had license plates dating back to the early 60s. Apparently the state has no interest in wielding its power there. I'm guessing the roads are maintained by the Forest Service or National Park Service.

I noticed that cars and trucks around Stehekin had license plates dating back to the early 60s. Apparently the state has no interest in wielding its power there. I'm guessing the roads are maintained by the Forest Service or National Park Service.
About that.

Every now and then the NPS (the National Park Service is the principal landowner there) would try to haul away abandoned old cars. What they discovered was that because so many of them were not licensed and were out of title (meaning they had no record of who actually owned them) it was an insane nightmare to even figure out how to haul them away legally. So they usually give up but ask residents to please not leave their old junkers at the landing for months on end, as it uses up the very limited parking there.

I don't know what the moral of that story would even be.

There have been a bunch of old car recycling drives there where the pool the money to hire a barge and haul a lot of the old cars away. There used to be a lot more old junkers there.

Stehekin is very weird in a lot of unexpected ways.

Fun related fact: in a lot of counties in Washington, if you have five or more vehicles on your property that do not start you need a junkyard permit.

Check out the Cincinnati Ohio area. Lots of paved trails. That's where I'm heading for next summer myself to do some biking there

I am in the Coastal Wine Country north of San Francisco. There is a lot to do and see and the food is really good. You can do a day trip to San Francisco with bikes on the train and ferry. Or take the train with bikes up to Healdsburg. The coast is 20 miles west and the historic town of Sonoma is ten miles east where you can sip wine legally in the public park. There is a large range of accommodations including a KOA with cabins. In the heart of town you can rent small water craft. This is a very bike friendly area and I know someone who could rent you some classy bikes that do not look or feel like tourist rentals.
Second this one, and a reminder that Napa Valley is great for wine and scenery, but there are a lot of great small towns and small wineries and breweries in Sonoma and Mendocino counties. Plenty of backroads to explore and various artists and artisans of all sorts.

There are plenty of Artists to visit. https://www.sonomacountyarttrails.org/2023-artists
With plenty of small farms doing interesting things. https://www.farmtrails.org/
And breweries. https://www.sonomacounty.com/activities/breweries
From Healdsburg to Jenner there really are a bunch of cute towns to visit. I like the one lane road on Sonoma Mtn. North that drops into Glen Ellen.
1699309395681.jpeg

Back