What’s your winter ebike-related project you’re working on?

I am gradually building up a collection of bike servicing tools over the fall and winter, mostly Park brand. My Trek dealer is well over an hour away and even more inaccessible with Covid restrictions. Before winter set in, I was averaging about 1000 km per month, so maintenance needs are fairly frequent.
The tools I now have enable tire repair, cassette changing, derailleur hanger straightening, chain wear gauge/repair/replacement, dummy hub, pedal/crank removal, cable cutter/crimpers, torque wrench. Brake capabilities to come.

Last edited:
I am gradually building up a collection of bike servicing tools over the fall and winter, mostly Park brand. My Trek dealer is well over an hour away and even more inaccessible with Covid restrictions. Before winter set in, I was averaging about 1000 km per month, so maintenance needs are fairly frequent.
The tools I now have enable tire repair, cassette changing, derailleur hanger straightening, chain wear gauge/repair/replacement, dummy hub, pedal/crank removal, cable cutter/crimpers, torque wrench. Brake capabilities to come.
So how does one straighten a derailleur hanger? I thought they were basically pot metal so they would break instead of ruining the derailleur.

So how does one straighten a derailleur hanger? I thought they were basically pot metal so they would break instead of ruining the derailleur.
The hangers are designed to me more malleable/easy to bend than the frame and derailleur they are attached to, to help limit damage to other components. As such, they are made so they can usually be bent back into the same plane as the cassette. The tool for this screws into the hole where you mount the derailleur. It references the rim of the rear wheel and allows the user to bend the hanger (within reason) to line up with the rim all the way around at one point, usually the valve.

Attachments

• C21A554B-6B28-4D55-9845-49C4966C24BC.jpeg
    C21A554B-6B28-4D55-9845-49C4966C24BC.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
I use this tool from Park:

71lL7A3LmmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It makes derailleur adjustment easier and in my case, shift smoother when the hanger is in the correct allignment.
Like all Park tools, it isn't cheap. There are other, less expensive options if you do a search.

Ordered Mr. Tuffy tire liners for fat tires. Had good luck with them in bmx bikes and my beach cruisers so I'm hoping the liners combined with the puncture resistant tires on my Rad Runner should do the trick. The Tannus look tempting but at the time I found the Tuffy liners Tannus has yet to do 20" fat tire inserts.

View attachment 77908

It makes derailleur adjustment easier and in my case, shift smoother when the hanger is in the correct allignment.
Like all Park tools, it isn't cheap. There are other, less expensive options if you do a search.
I've looked at those. What happens if rim is not true?

The hangers are designed to me more malleable/easy to bend than the frame and derailleur they are attached to, to help limit damage to other components. As such, they are made so they can usually be bent back into the same plane as the cassette. The tool for this screws into the hole where you mount the derailleur. It references the rim of the rear wheel and allows the user to bend the hanger (within reason) to line up with the rim all the way around at one point, usually the valve.
Very cool. Are you having to use it much?

Very cool. Are you having to use it much?
No, I just got it and there’s no rush with below freezing temps and lots of snow. The bike isn’t shifting smoothly in all gears, and I suspect the hanger got bent when I destroyed the original derailleur with a stick on a trail some time ago. Park has a good video on how to use it.

View attachment 77908

Great tool... here is the video from Park Tool.
Rear Derailleur Hanger Alignment | Park Tool

Last edited:
I've looked at those. What happens if rim is not true?
The rim needs to be true for an accurate adjustment. If it isn't, that's a separate problem that should be addressed. A rim that is out of true should be obvious if you give it a spin. You can always put the front rim on the rear for adjustment purposes.

Bought a 1 lb 2 amp charger to carry with me on 2 day concert excursions (motel) or craigslist merchandise pickup trips of 50-70 miles. My 17.5 ah battery goes to 1/3 charge in 30 miles. My home charger is 12"x6"x5" and weighs 10 lb. I built it out of salvage. New charger came with 3 pin male connector, which I guessed was XLR. So I bought some XLR female connectors in January to hook up the charger to the insulated .250" flag terminals I use on the battery. Also to hook up some microphones for recording piano. 2 connectors from newark arrived without inserts - which I didn't notice until yesterday, so I don't get my money back. 1 US made connector cost $6.50 , didn't fit. Pins too close together. So punt. Do cheap bike chargers come with XLR connectors? Have to order some more XLR, from digikey this time, to even find out. No dial indicator anymore, the burglar sold it. I do have a yardstick, he didn't steal that. I've had trouble with cheap XLR connectors melting the insert as I try to solder them.

EBIKELING 48V 1500W 26" Direct Drive Rear Waterproof eBike Bike Conversion Kit using a UPP Factory (US Warehouse) Triangle Ebike Battery - 48V/52V 20Ah Electric Bike Lithinum Battery Pack for 1800W/1500W/1000W/750W/500W Bafang Voilamart AW Ancheer and other ebikes. Mounted on a

Diamondback Axis XE Mountain Bike all replies, insights, good and bad welcome!​

The battery is 358 kit is 385 and bike is mine.

Do cheap bike chargers come with XLR connectors?
Typically no they do not. I probably have a few of nearly every battery and changer connector.
PM me and maybe I can help sort or make an adapter cord.

I cut the 3/8” plywood that will hold the tie down D ring holders and the two BikeHand YC-96 bike stands. Just need to decide on and apply a finish to the plywood. -30 winds chills through Sunday means no more work til next week.

Attachments

• 7CE7DFAC-2EDF-41DE-97C5-1F8D73313307.jpeg
    7CE7DFAC-2EDF-41DE-97C5-1F8D73313307.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 204
So one side of the project has been put together for a 3 hour test ride. I took it out for a short ride today and all went well. The topper has 2 locks and the tailgate also locks. Additional cable locks can also be used. When finished, both bikes and the ramp will easily fit with room for lots of other travel/camping gear. I’m happy so far!
022CEF5B-51CD-4CEF-9AD0-4B5B3E87E9BB.jpeg
DCCDBFEB-4181-4894-BC27-9F50E324F997.jpeg
1BCBB1F3-0B4A-459F-AEC4-24B73F03412F.jpeg

I just couldn't resist switching the drivetrain on my Specialized Turbo Vado SL. When I bought the bike in the summer I pledged not to spend a lot of money upgrading the components. I definitely broke that promise to myself. First in late fall I added carbon gravel rims and Schwalbe Aerothan tubes. That upgrade provided a noticeable change in performance and ride quality. Then with the last month of frigid weather and snow I got antsy and spent too much time browsing through bicycle supply websites. Which led to swapping the stock Shimano drivetrain for the electronic SRAM AXS - which really cleaned up the cockpit nicely. I hope to test it out tomorrow.

Reverse Osmosis unit for making maple syrup. It should cut boiling(beer drinking) time in half.
LOL..sorry not bike related!
Not bike related but creative and innovative! Good stuff. I made maple syrup in the kitchen. The walls and celling became sticky. I felt like a big dummy. So my next project is to convert a Big Dummy. See photos before and check PedalUma.com for more if you care to see more recent Winter builds since Christmas of 2020.

Attachments

• BigDummy02.JPG
    BigDummy02.JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 203
  • BigDummy03.JPG
    BigDummy03.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 211
Back