What’s your winter ebike-related project you’re working on?

I just couldn't resist switching the drivetrain on my Specialized Turbo Vado SL. When I bought the bike in the summer I pledged not to spend a lot of money upgrading the components. I definitely broke that promise to myself. First in late fall I added carbon gravel rims and Schwalbe Aerothan tubes. That upgrade provided a noticeable change in performance and ride quality. Then with the last month of frigid weather and snow I got antsy and spent too much time browsing through bicycle supply websites. Which led to swapping the stock Shimano drivetrain for the electronic SRAM AXS - which really cleaned up the cockpit nicely. I hope to test it out tomorrow.
Pictures!

I’m looking forward to your take on the SRAM etap upgrade... my trigger finger has been twitching badly over that of late.

I just couldn't resist switching the drivetrain on my Specialized Turbo Vado SL. When I bought the bike in the summer I pledged not to spend a lot of money upgrading the components. I definitely broke that promise to myself. First in late fall I added carbon gravel rims and Schwalbe Aerothan tubes. That upgrade provided a noticeable change in performance and ride quality. Then with the last month of frigid weather and snow I got antsy and spent too much time browsing through bicycle supply websites. Which led to swapping the stock Shimano drivetrain for the electronic SRAM AXS - which really cleaned up the cockpit nicely. I hope to test it out tomorrow.
Did the Shimano to SRAM AXS conversion require replacing the OEM crankset? If so, how did it affect the torque sensor?

This has been a forever project. A year of health issues has kept me from doing any wrenching. This too shall pass, I need the bike this spring. It's a scratch build on a Marin Hybrid stepthrough. Mac 10T, Grin Baserunner, and DIY shop built battery. This will be near the last full build. Been there done that...
1614446022861.png

So took the UnderTopper system on a 400 mile trip and it’s very easy to load/connect and is totally solid! now I just need to update the truck w/new tires, shocks, etc., and it’s cross-country time! Anyone got a proven/cheap way to make a 5.3 Silverado get 30 mpg?

Attachments

• 9A143DFE-F92E-4796-82A9-5B4744760519.jpeg
    9A143DFE-F92E-4796-82A9-5B4744760519.jpeg
    494.2 KB · Views: 196
So took the UnderTopper system on a 400 mile trip and it’s very easy to load/connect and is totally solid! now I just need to update the truck w/new tires, shocks, etc., and it’s cross-country time! Anyone got a proven/cheap way to make a 5.3 Silverado get 30 mpg?
That's a great setup you made!
I wish I could do something similar with my GMC Sierra which is pretty much equivalent to your Silverado. With the stem riser on my bike, I couldn't locate a topper high enough to clear the bars.
Instead, I replaced my low side tool boxes with full the rise type. The bars still extend above the top of the boxes but I'm looking into a soft top of some sort.

Pic 1.JPG Pic 6.jpg P1080727b.jpg P1080725b.jpg

The high side boxes also offer more than twice the storage space. They allow me to better organize, and have easy access to my riding gear.

I'm hoping something like this, stretched over the top of the tool boxes, will stay together at highway speeds. At the very least, it would keep the bikes dry when parked.

71ndRhPWemL._AC_SL1500_ (1).jpg

I hear you about getting 30 mpg. I log on average 10K miles per season travelling to notable riding locations. On a good day, I average 18 mpg. I'm eyeing the Katy Trail in MO for a trip this spring and that one will burn a lot of gas.

001.JPG

I´ve decided to turn this into an ebike. It´s an ´84 Univega mixte, tange pro tubing. The frameset weighs
just 3 1/2 pds. The top tube is a piece of alu sail spar added to support my inframe pannier, but also
adds structural support. I put a 700 wheel in back which barely clears the brake mount. I have a 48v 1000w
28¨ x 1.75¨ motored wheel, but the most that will clear is 1.50¨. This means I have to cut the upper stay
spreader & mount a new one 3/8¨ higher or I could put a 1. 50 on the wheel which may not be enough
for the extra weight. I have everything else for the kit, & a choice of 13ah or 8ah batteries to mount under
the dbl. tubes. I originally used the wheel to replace the one on the CCS motor with damaged spoke bores.
(now a parts bike). It is a much better whl will 12g spokes. The conversion kit is meant to turn a road bike
into a 40 pd., 40 mph bike. With the 8ah bat., I think I can bring it in a 35 pd. The the 8ah charges in 2 hrs.
I bought this bike pristine on CL for $60 from someone without a clue what it was, a race-bilt at 22 pds.
(tacoed the original whls)🙄.

Last edited:
View attachment 80354
I´ve decided to turn this into an ebike. It´s an ´84 Univega mixte, tange pro tubing. The frameset weighs
just 3 1/2 pds. The top tube is a piece of alu sail spar added to support my inframe pannier, but also
adds structural support. I put a 700 wheel in back which barely clears the brake mount. I have a 48v 1000w
28¨ x 1.75¨ motored wheel, but the most that will clear is 1.50¨. This means I have to cut the upper stay
spreader & mount a new one 3/8¨ higher or I could put a 1. 50 on the wheel which may not be enough
for the extra weight. I have everything else for the kit, & a choice of 13ah or 8ah batteries to mount under
the dbl. tubes. I originally used the wheel to replace the one on the CCS motor with damaged spoke bores.
(now a parts bike). It is a much better whl will 12g spokes. The conversion kit is meant to turn a road bike
into a 40 pd., 40 mph bike. With the 8ah bat., I think I can bring it in a 35 pd. The the 8ah charges in 2 hrs.
I bought this bike pristine on CL for $60 from someone without a clue what it was, a race-bilt at 22 pds.
You must have very long legs!👍

That's a great setup you made!
I wish I could do something similar with my GMC Sierra which is pretty much equivalent to your Silverado. With the stem riser on my bike, I couldn't locate a topper high enough to clear the bars.
Instead, I replaced my low side tool boxes with full the rise type. The bars still extend above the top of the boxes but I'm looking into a soft top of some sort.

View attachment 80337 View attachment 80338 View attachment 80336 View attachment 80335

The high side boxes also offer more than twice the storage space. They allow me to better organize, and have easy access to my riding gear.

I'm hoping something like this, stretched over the top of the tool boxes, will stay together at highway speeds. At the very least, it would keep the bikes dry when parked.

View attachment 80339

I hear you about getting 30 mpg. I log on average 10K miles per season travelling to notable riding locations. On a good day, I average 18 mpg. I'm eyeing the Katy Trail in MO for a trip this spring and that one will burn a lot of gas.
18mpg would be on a good day for mine too. I can tell you that my topper was one of the few used ones that I found (on Craigslist) that would fit my ‘03. It’s a ‘11 Jason Force, which I’d never heard of before.

View attachment 80354

You must have very long legs!👍
Yup. Ran into some snags, but shouldn´t be too hard to fix. I can move brake down to middle stays
& use a 700/38 instead of cutting the spreader. That gains the 3/8¨ I need. Front & rear derailleurs are
shot, I have a new rear. Can´t find a triple the will fit the skinny down tube, so going back to a 50/34 compact.
I need to ditch the disc on the motor wheel to get a fit, also racks to keep down weight. A better brake set
would be nice. If I didn´t have horizontal dropouts, I could a 700/47 on. Should end up with an ebike I can
load on a bus rack no sweat.

Last edited:
I just finished the Surly Big Dummy an took it on a test ride. It is a Class 1 torque sensor mid drive with 80Nm. With one 10.5Ah battery it weighs 25.1Kg or 55.3Lbs. It has a second battery that is 8.7Ah for longer excursions or just to quickly swap. I have included a before picture.

Attachments

• BigDummy06.JPG
    BigDummy06.JPG
    803.5 KB · Views: 180
  • BigDummy07.JPG
    BigDummy07.JPG
    376.4 KB · Views: 180
  • BigDummy03.JPG
    BigDummy03.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 176
Did the Shimano to SRAM AXS conversion require replacing the OEM crankset? If so, how did it affect the torque sensor?
No. Stock crankset still on the bike. No impact to torque sensor. I've had a couple of 15-20 mile rides and the SRAM is very smooth.

I finished my second winter project just in time to take advantage of the warm early spring weather. The first project was to replace the low side truck storage boxes with the full size version which was shown in post #46. The second project was to add an electric winch to the slide out bike rack to make it easier to load.
P1080796b.jpg P1080817b.jpg

I added a boat trailer winch to an unused storage container mounted on the rack. I put the winch on the rack instead of mounting it in the truck. That way, the truck bed is completely empty when the rack is removed.
P1080803b.jpg P1080804b.jpg P1080805b.jpg

Now, I walk behind the rack and guide it while operating the controls as the winch pulls the rack into the bed. No lifting or pushing is required.
P1080799b.jpg P1080808b.jpg P1080812b.jpg P1080813b.jpg P1080816b.jpg

So one side of the project has been put together for a 3 hour test ride. I took it out for a short ride today and all went well. The topper has 2 locks and the tailgate also locks. Additional cable locks can also be used. When finished, both bikes and the ramp will easily fit with room for lots of other travel/camping gear. I’m happy so far!
View attachment 80145View attachment 80146View attachment 80147
Still happy with this solution? I'm looking for an easy solution for carrying 2 on a slideout tray in my Sprinter.

I'm sewing a 4" tall bike seat cushion out of a leather purse. Who needs *****? With this and the new 40 ah battery I might be able to ride to Cincinnati (70 mi) & Amtrak station without stopping at a motel.
PAS up switch failed on 2018 ebikeling controller. I have industrial .2" pushbutton switches, Am replacing the switch panel, and the plastic cover I destroyed getting the old switch panel out. Apparently all new controllers require a display to change the PAS level. Displays keep one from changing a tube on the road by turning bike upside down. ***** them. Useless as new cars. Wife's 2018 car locks us in when we put it in drive. Couldn't buy a 2018 Cruze, it shut the engine off at stop signs.
The new grin controller TJ keeps puffing is potted. Preserve those eterna-leak capacitors for the rest if the controller's short life. I replaced the *****y leaky capacitors in the 2018 ebikeling controller in 2019. No more spark the 2nd time I plug it to the battery.

The new grin controller TJ keeps puffing is potted.
You’re the most creative fellow here. Amazing to me. I’m also amazed by some of the just plain incorrect comments. LOTS of electronics in our eBike world are potted and extremely reliable.

you do know there are capacitors that are very small and don’t leak?

1649267748234.jpeg

Back