What Precautions do You Take When Riding in Remote Locations?

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I realize this thread won't apply to most young riders, roadies or members with a casual riding style but if you're one that likes to get "out there", read on.

Over the years, I've spent a good percentage of my riding In "off the map" locations away from roads, houses, businesses and most other forms of civilization. Much of the time, these areas have no cellphone coverage. In my younger years, I've had to walk my bike as far as 5 miles to get out of a jam and consider myself lucky it wasn't much further. These days, I would be hard pressed to make such a walk in a reasonable period of time, with or without the bike.

Now that I'm riding an e-bike, I find myself getting even farther afield than I did on my old Trek MTB. I fully realize the older I get, the more risk I'm assuming by continuing to ride in remote locations. These are the precautions I currently take:

1 - Ride with a friend or in a group when possible. Unfortunately, most of my riding partners are of a similar age and are leery of riding this way.

2 - Carry tools & spares. I won't get into what I carry, I'll leave that for another thread. Suffice to say I'm prepared for most common failures. As others have wisely pointed out though, you can't be prepared for everything. One item many trail riders overlook is a hand saw. On one occasion, I hacked my way out of multiple fallen trees from a sudden squall.

3 - Carry a cell phone. Unfortunately, coverage is non existent in more than half the places I ride.

4 - Let friends & relatives know your schedule and where you plan to ride.

5 - Stay apprised of weather and trail conditions. I usually research this before deciding where and when to ride. I use weather apps during a ride when I'm in an area with cell service.

6 - Know your surroundings. Be aware of distances to the nearest shelter, main road or town where help may be available. I use a GPS which I preload with this information. Among other things, it will tell me what direction to head in an emergency. Do I back track, keep going or leave the trail?

7 - Dress appropriately. I usually dress in layers which I can add or remove with temperature changes or if I get wet. Brightly colored outerwear is also a must during hunting season.

7 - Give up riding in remote locations. This is the best precaution of all but it's one I'm loathe to do right now. I suppose it's inevitable but I'd like to keep going for as long as reasonably possible.

Much of this is basic and just common sense but in the interest of completeness, I've listed it anyway.

Lately, I've been looking at Iridium Satellite communicators which boast global coverage. Text subscription service is reasonably priced now and the equipment is built in to many GPS receivers which I carry anyway. Garmin currently offers their "In Reach" Iridium service on several of their GPS models:

Does anyone have any experience with this service or have any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I have the inReach Explorer+ with optional services for aviation. They have a mini version which is cheaper. The mini version would be plenty enough for a bicyclist or hiker and there are quite economical plans to be had. It works pretty much globally by the way except parts of the Southern Hemisphere - The weak link is how responsive your local emergency services are should they get a call to relay your alert. Here in Japan they’re very responsive.

I think it’s actually useful for a number of situations besides mountain biking. For example I have a friend who routinely does loner 150km runs through the mountain roads to the west of Tokyo. 2 lane tightly curved stuff you’d expect to see in the French Alps. As I’ve told him before should he be hit by a car or crash at 45kmh it’s likely he’ll fall into the thick brush and never be seen again. I think it would be torture to lay there with a broken leg while being attacked by the numerous feral pigs or Japanese macaques (similar to a baboon) that freely roam in those reaches. Or dying of thirst etc. … with an inReach you can send a message or activate an SOS with a button.

I always have it with me when I go to a dark site (mountains) with my telescope as well. Many parts of Japan are cellular barren.

The good thing about a Garmin and its services - you ride on the same network and ecosystem as commercial aviation and maritime emergency services do, so you can expect reliability and response.

I have the inReach Explorer+ with optional services for aviation. They have a mini version which is cheaper. The mini version would be plenty enough for a bicyclist or hiker and there are quite economical plans to be had. It works pretty much globally by the way except parts of the Southern Hemisphere - The weak link is how responsive your local emergency services are should they get a call to relay your alert. Here in Japan they’re very responsive.

I think it’s actually useful for a number of situations besides mountain biking. For example I have a friend who routinely does loner 150km runs through the mountain roads to the west of Tokyo. 2 lane tightly curved stuff you’d expect to see in the French Alps. As I’ve told him before should he be hit by a car or crash at 45kmh it’s likely he’ll fall into the thick brush and never be seen again. I think it would be torture to lay there with a broken leg while being attacked by the numerous feral pigs or Japanese macaques (similar to a baboon) that freely roam in those reaches. Or dying of thirst etc. … with an inReach you can send a message or activate an SOS with a button.

I always have it with me when I go to a dark site (mountains) with my telescope as well. Many parts of Japan are cellular barren.

The good thing about a Garmin and its services - you ride on the same network and ecosystem as commercial aviation and maritime emergency services do, so you can expect reliability and response.
Thanks for your response.

I would rather not carry another device like the mini since it's just another battery to charge. The Montana 700i is a more practical, albeit much more expensive option. I carry a GPS anyway wherever I go and it would replace my current Montana 650t.

2 - Carry tools & spares. I won't get into what I carry, I'll leave that for another thread. Suffice to say I'm prepared for most common failures. As others have wisely pointed out though, you can't be prepared for everything. One item many trail riders overlook is a hand saw. On one occasion, I hacked my way out of multiple fallen trees from a sudden squall.
I ride on road so I'll omit the hand saw. But I'm off the edge of cell phone coverage frequently, and waving a $50 bill at pickups doesn't convince them to pick me up. I've pushed the bike 7 miles with a blown rear tire & 40 lb groceries. I've pushed the bike 1 mile when a stick on the sidewalk destroyed the derailleur takeup. I'm adding both of those to my kit for next year, bringing the tools spares clothing water up to 18 lb. The derailleur is obvious, a duplicate of the one I bought. The tire, my experience is that the Schwinn roll up tires fall off the rim & blow the tube. The Panaracer FIre XC Pro tubeless 26x2.1" I bought when kenda knobbies weren't available, shipped flat, which shocked me. However, it may work. I've got 180 miles on it because the motor+controller harness burned up in the rain that far from installation. $40, $14 more than a kenda.
Base ride home plan is a geared hub motor that doesn't drag unpowered, and a motor+battery+throttle that will drag me home if the chain derailleur pedal crank or leg fails. (I'm 71 have, Viet Nam era Army knees). Crank failed on a previous bike, a Pacific that had plastic crank arms. My pedals have ~8000 miles, are holding up, but have weird 15 mm axles that don't match anything I've found for sale. I've pedaled home unpowered 27 miles several times when rain took out the throttle or harness, and out and back once when the gears in the hub motor wore out on the way out.
I don't carry GPS, Expensive ****ese **** that wears out the patented battery every 3-4 years. (My bike lights use AAA's). I do carry a map sometimes especially in Louisville. Construction detours can throw me way off my pre-planned route. Something that is useful with a map is a compass. I walked 2 miles around the outside of Kensington Park in London UK once because I turned 3 times coming up out of the Underground, there was fog over the sun, no moss on trees, and I saw no street signs until I was down in front of the Russian Embassy. Compass is $2 ****ese **** and doesn't have patented batteries.
BTW I carry a stupid phone, a flip model that should be in my pocket if I get knocked off the bike by a car and wake up in the ditch later. Smart phones mounted on the handlebar strike me as utterly useless. A car ran a stop sign & missed me by a foot yesterday.

Last edited:
I realize this thread won't apply to most young riders, roadies or members with a casual riding style but if you're one that likes to get "out there", read on.

Over the years, I've spent a good percentage of my riding In "off the map" locations away from roads, houses, businesses and most other forms of civilization. Much of the time, these areas have no cellphone coverage. In my younger years, I've had to walk my bike as far as 5 miles to get out of a jam and consider myself lucky it wasn't much further. These days, I would be hard pressed to make such a walk in a reasonable period of time, with or without the bike.

Now that I'm riding an e-bike, I find myself getting even farther afield than I did on my old Trek MTB. I fully realize the older I get, the more risk I'm assuming by continuing to ride in remote locations. These are the precautions I currently take:

1 - Ride with a friend or in a group when possible. Unfortunately, most of my riding partners are of a similar age and are leery of riding this way.

3 - Carry a cell phone. Unfortunately, coverage is non existent in more than half the places I ride.

5 - Stay apprised of weather and trail conditions. I usually research this before deciding where and when to ride. I use weather apps during a ride when I'm in an area with cell service.

6 - Know your surroundings. Be aware of distances to the nearest shelter, main road or town where help may be available. I use a GPS which I preload with this information. Among other things, it will tell me what direction to head in an emergency. Do I back track, keep going or leave the trail?

7 - Dress appropriately. I usually dress in layers which I can add or remove with temperature changes or if I get wet. Brightly colored outerwear is also a must during hunting season.

7 - Give up riding in remote locations. This is the best precaution of all but it's one I'm loathe to do right now. I suppose it's inevitable but I'd like to keep going for as long as reasonably possible.

Much of this is basic and just common sense but in the interest of completeness, I've listed it anyway.

Lately, I've been looking at Iridium Satellite communicators which boast global coverage. Text subscription service is reasonably priced now and the equipment is built in to many GPS receivers which I carry anyway. Garmin currently offers their "In Reach" Iridium service on several of their GPS models:

Does anyone have any experience with this service or have any other suggestions?
I used to have a Garmin Inreach that I would take on motorcycle/scooter touring including a motorcycle trip to Alaska as well as other remote locations. I never used it and there are ongoing subscription fees for activation. I ended up buying a McMurdo Fast Find satellite personal locator beacon which doesn't have messaging capability but also doesn't have subscription fees. I have taken that on a couple 2-3 day unsupported solo bike tours that I have done in Idaho and eastern Oregon where there is very limited cell coverage.
I also also carry a canister of bear spray, minimum essential tools and spares, appropriate clothing, water filter and camping supplies as appropriate.
DSCF0748.JPG
DSCF0557.JPG

I don't carry GPS, Expensive ****ese **** that wears out the patented battery every 3-4 years. (My bike lights use AAA's). I do carry a map sometimes especially in Louisville. Construction detours can throw me way off my pre-planned route. Something that is useful with a map is a compass. I walked 2 miles around the outside of Kensington Park in London UK once because I turned 3 times coming up out of the Underground, there was fog over the sun, no moss on trees, and I saw no street signs until I was down in front of the Russian Embassy. Compass is $2 ****ese **** and doesn't have patented batteries.
BTW I carry a stupid phone, a flip model that should be in my pocket if I get knocked off the bike by a car and wake up in the ditch later. Smart phones mounted on the handlebar strike me as utterly useless. A car ran a stop sign & missed me by a foot yesterday.
I hear you about the proprietary batteries. I make it a point to buy only electronics that use AA or AAA batteries. This includes my GPS. I use rechargeables and carry spares. The only exception is my smartphone and that can be recharged via the USB port on my bike's display if necessary.

I hear you about the proprietary batteries. I make it a point to buy only electronics that use AA or AAA batteries. This includes my GPS. I use rechargeables and carry spares. The only exception is my smartphone and that can be recharged via the USB port on my bike's display if necessary.
Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries are something to consider. I used to use Duracell batteries in my Garmin Oregon GPS, they would last only several hours while the Energizer Ultimate batteries have lasted several times longer.

I would add, always carry a 1st aid kit, & a course in 1st aid is a plus. Be prepared to self rescue
should the need arise,(as it has for me a number of times). Carry a mylar space blanket.

Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries are something to consider. I used to use Duracell batteries in my Garmin Oregon GPS, they would last only several hours while the Energizer Ultimate batteries have lasted several times longer.
I use rechargeable AA and AAA Eneloop batteries. They usually last 8 or more hours in my GPS units, almost as long as standard alkaline AA's. They're good enough for a long days ride. The Energizer lithium's do last longer but they're quite expensive. I do carry a set though as an emergency backup.

I used to have a Garmin Inreach that I would take on motorcycle/scooter touring including a motorcycle trip to Alaska as well as other remote locations. I never used it and there are ongoing subscription fees for activation. I ended up buying a McMurdo Fast Find satellite personal locator beacon which doesn't have messaging capability but also doesn't have subscription fees. I have taken that on a couple 2-3 day unsupported solo bike tours that I have done in Idaho and eastern Oregon where there is very limited cell coverage.
I also also carry a canister of bear spray, minimum essential tools and spares, appropriate clothing, water filter and camping supplies as appropriate.
View attachment 109654View attachment 109655
No services fees, but I¨ve had a Magellan for 10 years I´ve never used. I take it out occasionally & charge it.
Is that a lake or just a Columbia backwater?

I have an inreach mini , old iridium sat phone, and plb - they all serve different purposes and to some extent cross over in function.

The plb always lives in my back pack , plus there is one on the pfd I wear when sailing. Cheap , compact insurance with a 15 year battery life.

The inreach mini is a luxury - crazy expensive monthly and tracking fees, unreliable tracking, but ifI'm going to be doing remote solo rides for more than a few days each month I reactivate the plan and pay. I love having 2 way text communication , an emergency beacon, plus theoretically someone who cares can follow the tracks and find what's left of me. I say theoretically because more times than not it fails to send a ping then doesn't send subsequent pings. Or I leave it turned on and tracking ....grrrr!

The sat phone is for extreme remote trips. Awesome tool when you need it. Nothing beats that feeling when you can chat to the RFDS and negotiate retrieval of someone with a broken neck thousands of k's from civilisation. They might be a day away, but at least you know they are bringing appropriate equipment! Better yet - negotiating a helicopter lift rather than waiting for a 4x4 ambulance to crawl up that hill.

Nice theory, but only time I've personally needed helimed was in my own back yard! Ironic, really - I've struggled out of the simpson dessert on a motorbike after destroying my ankle, ridden half a day on a motorbike with a broken knee so I could stumble into the nearest hospital.....yet the time I had to call for help was when the Italian mistress jumped on top as I was putting her to bed. Bloody moto guzzis.

I think it depends on where you are going. I do mountain rides - no trails - in the Lower Sierras once or twice a year, and remote beach riding with no inland access weekly. In the case of the mountain stuff, because I have such a strong rear cluster with a relatively small big cog (32T) I'm not bringing a spare, and just focus on my usual tools which - for a mid drive - include a chain, quiklinks and chain pliers. But for the remote beach stuff, I am using a BIG rear cluster that gets near-constant redline power and which is not so sturdy up at its 42-46T cogs. Taco'ing it is a real possibility. So I add a spare cluster, chain whip and cluster removal tool.

PXL_20211216_230846291.jpg

Note the seaweed near the front tire. Not much beach left at high tide, and absolute zero in a storm or even high tide and winds. So I also bring a wool sweater, plus a raincoat and long rain pants. Similar in the mountains. Goal is to survive a night out if I get stranded.

Great thread-- and yeah, I've got to cram that space blanket into my under-saddle bag!

My situation is really strange, because I'm in a dense urban area, but I go places that few people know about, and that I only discover via satellite map or hiking or mtb websites. I could have an accident only one to five miles (at the most) from civilization, but still have no one find me for days if I were knocked unconscious in exactly the wrong spot, or forgot my mobile, or if it got lost or shattered, or if I happen to be in a dead zone, all of which are quite possible.

This does creep me out sometimes. I rarely forget my phone, but it happens. I was on a power line access road yesterday just outside Griffith Park in the Cahuenga pass... only 1.5 miles from the nearest house at most, helicopters are flying around, I can see the freeway... but if I fell in certain spots, I would be invisible. I could scream for hours, no one would hear me.

And I've never seen a soul on that trail, ever. On Brand Park Motorway, it might be hours before someone else comes by, but unless I'm the last person coming down the mountain (possible, but not likely) I'm going to run into someone. I also occasionally detour briefly through alleys, abandoned bike paths, and short but creepy little trails in Atwater Park... places where I really don't have a sense of what the crime situation is-- if someone mugged me and I was unconscious under a bush or behind a dumpster, someone would probably find me sooner, but maybe not soon enough.

So what I consider 'remote' is a bit different! And my precautions wouldn't be right for everyone.

* I'm almost always alone, I have only one friend my age who sometimes rides with me on my second bike, and he's only around 4 months of the year.
* Tire sealant kit.
* Some tools, even if it's just a bunch of hex keys and a leatherman knock-off.
* Warmer clothes-- extra turtleneck in the under-seat bag, microfiber surf/rash-guard shirt stuffed into a jacket pocket for a little more thermal protection or lightweight UV protection. If possibility of rain is greater than 10%, substitute a packable poncho for one of garments in summer, when I'm not already wearing a water-repellent jacket.
* 12 oz. water bottle in cage for rides < 20 miles. Rides > 20 miles, I'm adding a second 12 oz. water bottle in a cross-body sling.
* Mobile phone, fully charged.
* Front light and helmet rear lights, always fully charged if I'm off road for more than 1/4 mile. (I always get home later than I planned!)
* Body armor every ride-- motocross mesh outer jacket (2 pounds) in the summer, armored lined jacket (4 pounds) in winter. (This is because of the blood thinners.)
* Gloves-- may seem obvious, but again, every ride, even if it's 90 degrees out. Usually fingerless except when it's really cold, winter gloves are armored as well.
* Wallet with at least one credit card + ID and health insurance card.
* Whenever I'm more than 1/2 mile or so off road, I let my wife know exactly where I'm going, and give her a vague idea when I plan to return.
* ALWAYS check weather.
* A new thing: I am now checking the grade of trails I am riding (if possible) on hikingproject.com or mtbproject.com, though it's taking me a while to learn what they mean. For me, it means I can manage up to 23% if it's a really short segment, or mixed 10-20% for a quarter mile segment unless the trail is so primitive that it's not even really a trail. Because I'm very inexperienced at MTB, I also try to have a sense of where the steep sections are, particularly if they might be hard to see ahead of time. If those are the numbers, my worst case scenario is I'll have to push the bike a bit.
* When mobile service is in doubt, and when I'm someplace where there are a lot of forks in the trail, I take screenshots of satellite or map images for what I anticipate would be the hardest sections of the trail to navigate in case GPS fails. (I learned that taking the back roads to ski resorts, saved my ass more than once.)
* Always a spring-assisted knife, gotta be able to open it with one hand, usually not an OTF or switchblade, both for legal reasons and because they're a bit less reliable.
* Only illegal carry I would consider would be something like an asp baton, though they are too damn heavy! I am considering a goose neck mic stand-- still probably illegal, but far lighter, mainly for a dire situation w/ coyotes, (very unlikely to be dangerous unless I were badly injured an unable to haze them properly) or off-leash/stray dogs and mountain lions, but potentially for humans. I should take a gooseneck into the back yard, wear some oven mitts, and try it on a cinderblock or something, this might be a stupid idea. There really are no good weapons for mountain lions except guns, and I don't want to carry firearms (maybe someday, but we're not there yet, and I hope we never will be.)

I'm not carrying bear spray-- it would find a way to go off in my pocket. I know a guy that happened to-- his GUIDE in Alaska had bear spray in a back pack in the overhead rack, it fell out of the pack after a short stop, and my buddy was right in the line of fire.

Great thread-- and yeah, I've got to cram that space blanket into my under-saddle bag!

My situation is really strange, because I'm in a dense urban area, but I go places that few people know about, and that I only discover via satellite map or hiking or mtb websites. I could have an accident only one to five miles (at the most) from civilization, but still have no one find me for days if I were knocked unconscious in exactly the wrong spot, or forgot my mobile, or if it got lost or shattered, or if I happen to be in a dead zone, all of which are quite possible.

This does creep me out sometimes. I rarely forget my phone, but it happens. I was on a power line access road yesterday just outside Griffith Park in the Cahuenga pass... only 1.5 miles from the nearest house at most, helicopters are flying around, I can see the freeway... but if I fell in certain spots, I would be invisible. I could scream for hours, no one would hear me.

And I've never seen a soul on that trail, ever. On Brand Park Motorway, it might be hours before someone else comes by, but unless I'm the last person coming down the mountain (possible, but not likely) I'm going to run into someone. I also occasionally detour briefly through alleys, abandoned bike paths, and short but creepy little trails in Atwater Park... places where I really don't have a sense of what the crime situation is-- if someone mugged me and I was unconscious under a bush or behind a dumpster, someone would probably find me sooner, but maybe not soon enough.

So what I consider 'remote' is a bit different! And my precautions wouldn't be right for everyone.

* I'm almost always alone, I have only one friend my age who sometimes rides with me on my second bike, and he's only around 4 months of the year.
* Tire sealant kit.
* Some tools, even if it's just a bunch of hex keys and a leatherman knock-off.
* Warmer clothes-- extra turtleneck in the under-seat bag, microfiber surf/rash-guard shirt stuffed into a jacket pocket for a little more thermal protection or lightweight UV protection. If possibility of rain is greater than 10%, substitute a packable poncho for one of garments in summer, when I'm not already wearing a water-repellent jacket.
* 12 oz. water bottle in cage for rides < 20 miles. Rides > 20 miles, I'm adding a second 12 oz. water bottle in a cross-body sling.
* Mobile phone, fully charged.
* Front light and helmet rear lights, always fully charged if I'm off road for more than 1/4 mile. (I always get home later than I planned!)
* Body armor every ride-- motocross mesh outer jacket (2 pounds) in the summer, armored lined jacket (4 pounds) in winter. (This is because of the blood thinners.)
* Gloves-- may seem obvious, but again, every ride, even if it's 90 degrees out. Usually fingerless except when it's really cold, winter gloves are armored as well.
* Wallet with at least one credit card + ID and health insurance card.
* Whenever I'm more than 1/2 mile or so off road, I let my wife know exactly where I'm going, and give her a vague idea when I plan to return.
* ALWAYS check weather.
* A new thing: I am now checking the grade of trails I am riding (if possible) on hikingproject.com or mtbproject.com, though it's taking me a while to learn what they mean. For me, it means I can manage up to 23% if it's a really short segment, or mixed 10-20% for a quarter mile segment unless the trail is so primitive that it's not even really a trail. Because I'm very inexperienced at MTB, I also try to have a sense of where the steep sections are, particularly if they might be hard to see ahead of time. If those are the numbers, my worst case scenario is I'll have to push the bike a bit.
* When mobile service is in doubt, and when I'm someplace where there are a lot of forks in the trail, I take screenshots of satellite or map images for what I anticipate would be the hardest sections of the trail to navigate in case GPS fails. (I learned that taking the back roads to ski resorts, saved my ass more than once.)
* Always a spring-assisted knife, gotta be able to open it with one hand, usually not an OTF or switchblade, both for legal reasons and because they're a bit less reliable.
* Only illegal carry I would consider would be something like an asp baton, though they are too damn heavy! I am considering a goose neck mic stand-- still probably illegal, but far lighter, mainly for a dire situation w/ coyotes, (very unlikely to be dangerous unless I were badly injured an unable to haze them properly) or off-leash/stray dogs and mountain lions, but potentially for humans. I should take a gooseneck into the back yard, wear some oven mitts, and try it on a cinderblock or something, this might be a stupid idea. There really are no good weapons for mountain lions except guns, and I don't want to carry firearms (maybe someday, but we're not there yet, and I hope we never will be.)

I'm not carrying bear spray-- it would find a way to go off in my pocket. I know a guy that happened to-- his GUIDE in Alaska had bear spray in a back pack in the overhead rack, it fell out of the pack after a short stop, and my buddy was right in the line of fire.
You make some very good points:

1 - The definition of "remote" varies considerably and does not necessarily mean out in the boonies. It seems as we age, our world gets smaller.
2 - Carry your phone on your person, not on the bike. That way, you have it on you if you should be thrown clear of the bike & injured.
3 - Carry an insulating or "space" blanket. I carry one mainly for weather protection in a downpour but it can be a lifesaver if you're pinned down for an extended period of time.
4 - Carry money & ID. I always carry my wallet with credit and AAA card. My AAA membership covers transportation for bike and rider in many places I ride.
5 - Carry animal repellent. I carry dog spray but it's useless on bear. The black bear I run across are usually not aggressive. I suppose it could be used on humans if necessary.
6 - Grade. I consider this as being aware of the surroundings. Ride uphill on the way out if possible. That way, the return trip will be easier if you're hurt or the battery runs low.

Thanks for posting!

I have used inReach and it basically works. One should be cognizant that it won't work in all conditions or locations, in particular if you are in a narrow valley bottom with limited view of the sky or in heavy timber it won't work as well, or sometimes at all.

Earlier on I used a satellite phone, but it was expensive and heavy. On the other hand it was kind of awesome at times. It also had pretty severe limitations on where it could work effectively.

I'm personally very skeptical of bear spray, in particular in a cycling situation. Bear encounters that go bad happen very fast and it isn't super likely to me that you'll have time to effectively deploy the bear spray before things get really bad. That combined with the very short range of bear spray (in my opinion you need to work hard to never, ever get that close to a bear) makes me question the logic. Also my direct experience with bears over the years has been that bears are best described as hilariously nonaggressive (I typically encounter three or four bears a year, sometimes more) and fun and interesting to observe at a safe distance. They are to be respected, but not feared.

Back