What Precautions do You Take When Riding in Remote Locations?

I came across several bears at close range in Alaska/Yukon and a few where I hike near home. All of them seemed very aware of my presence and I was very wary of them. None of them have seemed so potentially harmless as to be described as "hilarious".
DSCF0402.JPG

I try to take along a thinking brain. Sometimes, that can be hard to find.
Yes, especially around the holidays when well stocked liqueur cabinets are easily accessed......

Risk perception is so emotive.

A couple people die each year to bears?
14,000 gun deaths each year in the us? Anyone wearing kevlar cycling vests?
as stated before bear spray isn't just about bears, any mammal including human. Not sure about your cassowary birds though, or crocs, or your infamous "drop bears"
Hey, if you don't have real bears you might as well make one up.

Last edited:
Yes, especially around the holidays when well stocked liqueur cabinets are easily accessed......
Yes, and so many bears are out and active in December...

I know that black bears in Florida and Louisiana do not hibernate, but that is more an exception and you aren't likely to run into one at Key Largo.

I'm sorry, I've had literally hundreds of bear encounters over the last forty years. Many of them were too close for comfort. In only a very few did a bear display any signs of aggression at all. In none of them did a bear attempt to harm me. So one must either conclude that I am exceptionally lucky or that bears typically do not wish any trouble when interacting with humans. I suspect the latter.

Three true stories:
  1. In 1989 I was hiking down Big Beaver Creek (WA) early in the morning. Since the plan was to catch a boat I was in an enormous hurry. After wading a small creek the trail went into a very brushy section. Suddenly I tumbled head over heels over something in the very brushy trail. Whatever that something was was thrashing about in the salmonberry thicket along with me. In a few seconds I found myself face to face at touching range with a small black bear. Both of us basically levitated three feet in the air and jumped backwards. After a few more seconds the bear snorted and turned around and continued on his way. As did I. In the opposite direction.
  2. In August 1992 while camped near Red's Meadow (CA), a bear came into the campground and began to dumpster-dive at about 2am. This bear soon drew a crowd of people, many of whom were banging pots and throwing rocks at the determined bear, who made a great show of snarling at its audience as it continued to feed on trash. I wisely broke camp and moved some considerable distance away.
  3. In July 2010 while hiking near Yaak (MT), I was stopped for lunch near a small waterfall with some friends. While we were talking a female grizzly bear crossed the creek and walked right up to us. Between the sound of the creek and the wind she hadn't heard us, and the wind was blowing towards us so she couldn't smell us. Again this large bear was within touching distance of us when we all realized what a messed up situation it was. The bear backed away a few steps and then turned and warily climbed above and around us and continued on her way. This bear was very skinny because staple bear foods had collapsed all across the northwest and there were lots of starving, desperate bears out there.
I have also made a clear choice to make myself scarce when I encounter a situation where there has obviously been bear-related mayhem (mostly about getting food). Some of the notorious places I have skipped out on include Camp Run-A-Muck (Hyder, AK), Tuolumne Meadows (CA), and along the Bella Coola River (BC).

I'm sorry, I've had literally hundreds of bear encounters over the last forty years. Many of them were too close for comfort. In only a very few did a bear display any signs of aggression at all. In none of them did a bear attempt to harm me. So one must either conclude that I am exceptionally lucky or that bears typically do not wish any trouble when interacting with humans. I suspect the latter.

Three true stories:
  1. In 1989 I was hiking down Big Beaver Creek (WA) early in thSe morning. Since the plan was to catch a boat I was in an enormous hurry. After wading a small creek the trail went into a very brushy section. Suddenly I tumbled head over heels over something in the very brushy trail. Whatever that something was was thrashing about in the salmonberry thicket along with me. In a few seconds I found myself face to face at touching range with a small black bear. Both of us basically levitated three feet in the air and jumped backwards. After a few more seconds the bear snorted and turned around and continued on his way. As did I. In the opposite direction.
  2. In August 1992 while camped near Red's Meadow (CA), a bear came into the campground and began to dumpster-dive at about 2am. This bear soon drew a crowd of people, many of whom were banging pots and throwing rocks at the determined bear, who made a great show of snarling at its audience as it continued to feed on trash. I wisely broke camp and moved some considerable distance away.
  3. In July 2010 while hiking near Yaak (MT), I was stopped for lunch near a small waterfall with some friends. While we were talking a female grizzly bear crossed the creek and walked right up to us. Between the sound of the creek and the wind she hadn't heard us, and the wind was blowing towards us so she couldn't smell us. Again this large bear was within touching distance of us when we all realized what a messed up situation it was. The bear backed away a few steps and then turned and warily climbed above and around us and continued on her way. This bear was very skinny because staple bear foods had collapsed all across the northwest and there were lots of starving, desperate bears out there.
I have also made a clear choice to make myself scarce when I encounter a situation where there has obviously been bear-related mayhem (mostly about getting food). Some of the notorious places I have skipped out on include Camp Run-A-Muck (Hyder, AK), Tuolumne Meadows (CA), and along the Bella Coola River (BC).
Didja get ´Hyderized´ in Hyder. I was told I should get hyderized in the 1st Chance saloon.. They bring you
a dbl. shot of 150 proof rum & what looked like a glass of water for a chaser. The rum hits like a blow torch,
so you down the chaser in one gulp....which happens to be Everclear, 190 proof. This becomes a near
death experience in seconds. The sour toe cocktail in Dawson City was mild by comparison. You get
yur choice of drink with a frost bitten, blackened, amputed toe in it.

Didja get ´Hyderized´ in Hyder. I was told I should get hyderized in the 1st chance. They bring you
a dbl. shot of 150 proof rum & what looked like a glass of water for a chaser. The rum hits like a blow torch,
so you down the chaser in one gulp....which happens to be Everclear, 190 proof. This becomes a near
death experience in seconds. The sour toe cocktail in Dawson City was mild by comparison. You get
yur choice of drink with a frost bitten, blackened, amputed toe in it.
Yep I've been Hyderized. The 190 proof stuff is called "snakebite" and comes in a can that looks like a paint thinner can. Legend has it that the original recipe used antifreeze alcohol for aircraft.

Yep I've been Hyderized. The 190 proof stuff is called "snakebite" and comes in a can that looks like a paint thinner can. Legend has it that the original recipe used antifreeze alcohol for aircraft.
I must wonder why people drink stuff like that today when good whiskey, wine, and beer is easily available, unlike the 1920s.

We came across a large grizzly during a road ride this past summer on the Bow Valley Parkway. Fortunately, he appeared more interested in feeding on the tall grass along the side of the road. For the past couple of years, this mountain corridor is closed to vehicular traffic up to the Castle Mtn Junction throughout the entire summer season. Let it be known that I didn’t stop and take pic but pulled this image from video footage.

View attachment 109969

I've posted these pics here before but it was indeed my "pucker moment":

A few years back, I came across a sow with her two cubs in a field alongside the trail. She didn't notice me at first and I was able to take a few pics.

P1010013a.jpg
P1010020b.jpg

Eventually, she caught my scent, stood up and headed toward me. The pics were taken with a long lens and I wasn't that close. I think she was more curious than aggressive since she could have easily run me down.

P1010010a.jpg
P1010023b.jpg

In any case, I didn't stick around to find out and took off! It was the only time I wished I'd had a class 3 bike!

In terms of real risk to humans:
Insects, particularly mosquitoes, are the deadliest animals worldwide based on their role as infectious disease vectors as well as being a major pest which can make an otherwise fun camping/bikepacking trip or hike into a miserable experience.

Besides treating clothing, shoes and tent/ground cloth with permethrin I use insect repellents, although more judiciously and sparingly than would be necessary without permethrin treated articles. DEET is nasty stuff, smelly and it feels oily, hot and uncomfortable on my skin, it melts plastics and degrades synthetic materials - which is a significant annoyance. Picaridin has been found to be just as effective a repellant as DEET and doesn't possess any of these negative traits. On a motorcycle trip to Alaska I had no problems with mosquitos or other insects using permethrin and picaridin and now have several unused DEET containing repellents that will go in the trash when past expiration.

Last edited:
I've posted these pics here before but it was indeed my "pucker moment":

A few years back, I came across a sow with her two cubs in a field alongside the trail. She didn't notice me at first and I was able to take a few pics.

View attachment 110010 View attachment 110011

Eventually, she caught my scent, stood up and headed toward me. The pics were taken with a long lens and I wasn't that close. I think she was more curious than aggressive since she could have easily run me down.

View attachment 110009 View attachment 110012

In any case, I didn't stick around to find out and took off! It was the only time I wished I'd had a class 3 bike!
For the most, black bears are usually benign except when sick, starving, startled, or challenged,
but they can be lightening fast. I watched a video of a mama griz that chased a black 1/4 mile
& 60 ft. up a tree in a matter of seconds. The griz only climbed about 40 ft. but kept the black
treed for a spell. Obviously, a tree is not a safe haven in a bear encounter.

In terms of real risk to humans:
Insects, particularly mosquitoes, are the deadliest animals worldwide based on their role as infectious disease vectors as well as being a major pest which can make an otherwise fun camping/bikepacking trip or hike into a miserable experience.

Besides treating clothing, shoes and tent/ground cloth with permethrin I use insect repellents, although more judiciously and sparingly than would be necessary without permethrin treated articles. DEET is nasty stuff, smelly and it feels oily, hot and uncomfortable on my skin, it melts plastics and degrades synthetic materials - which is a significant annoyance. Picaridin has been found to be just as effective a repellant as DEET and doesn't possess any of these negative traits. On a motorcycle trip to Alaska I had no problems with mosquitos or other insects using permethrin and picaridin and now have several unused DEET containing repellents that will go in the trash when past expiration.
I use kerosine infused with tobacco juice, repulsive but effective.

Last edited:
For the most, black bears are usually benign except when sick, starving, startled, or challenged,
but they can be lightening fast. I watched a video of a mama griz that chased a black 1/4 mile
& 60 ft. up a tree in a matter of seconds. The griz only climbed about 40 ft. but kept the black
treed for a spell. Obviously, a tree is not a safe haven in a bear encounter.
If you don't know what kind of bear is chasing you, climb a tree.
A black bear will climb right up after you, while a grizzly will just knock the tree down with you in it.

I used to have a Garmin Inreach that I would take on motorcycle/scooter touring including a motorcycle trip to Alaska as well as other remote locations. I never used it and there are ongoing subscription fees for activation. I ended up buying a McMurdo Fast Find satellite personal locator beacon which doesn't have messaging capability but also doesn't have subscription fees. I have taken that on a couple 2-3 day unsupported solo bike tours that I have done in Idaho and eastern Oregon where there is very limited cell coverage.
I also also carry a canister of bear spray, minimum essential tools and spares, appropriate clothing, water filter and camping supplies as appropriate.
View attachment 109654View attachment 109655
Wow thats lovely, If things get anymore stupid and crazy around here I am thinking of heading west( where I would really love to end up is NNW)

Back