What Precautions do You Take When Riding in Remote Locations?

I used to have a Garmin Inreach that I would take on motorcycle/scooter touring including a motorcycle trip to Alaska as well as other remote locations. I never used it and there are ongoing subscription fees for activation. I ended up buying a McMurdo Fast Find satellite personal locator beacon which doesn't have messaging capability but also doesn't have subscription fees. I have taken that on a couple 2-3 day unsupported solo bike tours that I have done in Idaho and eastern Oregon where there is very limited cell coverage.
I also also carry a canister of bear spray, minimum essential tools and spares, appropriate clothing, water filter and camping supplies as appropriate.
View attachment 109654View attachment 109655
I'm seriously considering the McMurdo Fast Find 220 satellite locator since it has no subscription fees. It's definitely an economical solution for handling emergencies in remote locations. I haven't done any in depth research yet but since you have the product, maybe you can address some of the issues I have so far.

1 - It's a standalone unit which needs to be carried, yet performs no other function other than it's flashing beacon.
2 - The unit costs roughly the same as as an Inreach equipped GPS which could also be used for navigation.
3 - It has no text ability so you have no way of conveying the details or seriousness of an S.O.S. report. I wouldn't want the EMT's to show up if I just have a breakdown.
4 - It has a hard wired , 6 year battery which costs around $125 to get replaced. Most Inreach devices use AA or rechargeable lithium batteries.

Yes, Inreach costs more with it's one time $35 setup fee plus $144/yr (less if you pay for part year service). This seems reasonable to me considering you get 2 way communication plus detailed weather reports.

Any other information you can offer would be much appreciated!

I'm seriously considering the McMurdo Fast Find 220 satellite locator since it has no subscription fees. It's definitely an economical solution for handling emergencies in remote locations. I haven't done any in depth research yet but since you have the product, maybe you can address some of the issues I have so far.

1 - It's a standalone unit which needs to be carried, yet performs no other function other than it's flashing beacon.
2 - The unit costs roughly the same as as an Inreach equipped GPS which could also be used for navigation.
3 - It has no text ability so you have no way of conveying the details or seriousness of an S.O.S. report. I wouldn't want the EMT's to show up if I just have a breakdown.
4 - It has a hard wired , 6 year battery which costs around $125 to get replaced. Most Inreach devices use AA or rechargeable lithium batteries.

Yes, Inreach costs more with it's one time $35 setup fee plus $144/yr (less if you pay for part year service). This seems reasonable to me considering you get 2 way communication plus detailed weather reports.

Any other information you can offer would be much appreciated!

There are plb's which are better value than mcmurdo because they have longer battery life , eg I have a couple of kti plb's , 10 year battery . NB , theoretically you can replace the battery, but it's the same cost as a new plb. https://kti.com.au/safety-alert-plb/

For anyone interested in an informed discussion about remote rescue / communication devices, take a look here https://advrider.com/f/threads/interesting-interview-about-epirb-simpson-desert.1532366/. There is s video interview about a family who were lucky to only spend a week waiting for rescue in the simpson dessert (australia) . I've crossed the simpson solo on my motorbike in 2007 , which was when I bought my sat phone. Prior to that I just carried a plb ( I'm on my 5 th one now) . I ALWAYS carry a plb when riding, but if I'm travelling remote I also carry my garmin inreach mini if solo / sat phone if in a group.

Buy a plb, then if / when you can afford the subscriptions invest in a tracking device with sat communication ( inreach / spot etc)

ps garmin inreach mini has inbuilt lithium battery charged via micro usb cable - so theoretically can be charged by the bike. I think spot uses aaa , or at least they used to, the early models had issues when batteries got liw, I'm not sure if this has been fixed

Last edited:
There are plb's which are better value than mcmurdo because they have longer battery life , eg I have a couple of kti plb's , 10 year battery . NB , theoretically you can replace the battery, but it's the same cost as a new plb. https://kti.com.au/safety-alert-plb/

For anyone interested in an informed discussion about remote rescue / communication devices, take a look here https://advrider.com/f/threads/interesting-interview-about-epirb-simpson-desert.1532366/. There is s video interview about a family who were lucky to only spend a week waiting for rescue in the simpson dessert (australia) . I've crossed the simpson solo on my motorbike in 2007 , which was when I bought my sat phone. Prior to that I just carried a plb ( I'm on my 5 th one now) . I ALWAYS carry a plb when riding, but if I'm travelling remote I also carry my garmin inreach mini if solo / sat phone if in a group.

Buy a plb, then if / when you can afford the subscriptions invest in a tracking device with sat communication ( inreach / spot etc)

ps garmin inreach mini has inbuilt lithium battery charged via micro usb cable - so theoretically can be charged by the bike. I think spot uses aaa , or at least they used to, the early models had issues when batteries got liw, I'm not sure if this has been fixed
Thanks for the info & links!

The following statement was released from KTi as to their closure of the business and therefore the non production of their EPIRB and PLB product range...

Dear valued Customer,

Following a series of events the decision has been made to wind down the operations of Kinetic Technology International Pty. Ltd.

On behalf of the Directors and staff we would like to warmly thank our customers for their support over many years.

KTI will continue to provide support for warranty related issues for all KTI products sold and delivered prior to February 2021, The easiest way to reach us will be via e-mail: [email protected]

The following statement was released from KTi as to their closure of the business and therefore the non production of their EPIRB and PLB product range...

Dear valued Customer,

Following a series of events the decision has been made to wind down the operations of Kinetic Technology International Pty. Ltd.

On behalf of the Directors and staff we would like to warmly thank our customers for their support over many years.

KTI will continue to provide support for warranty related issues for all KTI products sold and delivered prior to February 2021, The easiest way to reach us will be via e-mail: [email protected]

:eek: Such a shame - they are a compact unit , but I imagine running a factory in Victoria (Australia) would have been extremely difficult at that time - our state had one of the strictest approaches to covid elimination with repeated shut downs of industry.

Too bad about that. It looked like a nice compact PLB and I would have considered buying one when my McMurdo battery expires in a couple more years.

Water, sandwich, lighter, tools, phone, spare tubes, portable foot pump, patch kit, tire liners and Slime in both wheels and some type of weaponry lol, i carry a mace pistol and 2 hunting knives to discourage animals from eating me. We only have black bear where i live, if we had brown bear i would probably carry a .50 lol.

Last edited:
Since we're telling bear stories, my one and only close encounter was at once terrifying and funny.

My brother and I were packing up in the main campground at Katmai NP, Alaska, when a grizzly ambled through and plopped down right on the corner of our tent -- with me inside putting on my underwear. I froze, but the bear could surely smell me. We'd been fastidious about bear precautions, so at least no food or toothpaste inside.

My brother yelled at the bear and banged pots and pans, but the bear just sat there for the longest 5 minutes of my life. Then he got up and ambled away.

When you're a grizzly, you can sit where you damn well please.

Last edited:
Since this thread has been revived, I thought I would mention that I did get a Garmin Inreach subscription. I bought a Montana 750i with Inreach which replaced my old Montana 650t so there is no extra gear to carry. It does have a proprietary battery but it can be recharged via the bike's USB port.

During the first season with the device, I haven't needed it for an emergency but I have tested the 2 way text service. So far, in my travels around the northeastern states, I have not found a spot without coverage.

I pay $144/yr but to me, it's relatively cheap insurance to have the texting capability. I can cut the cost a bit if I suspend the service during the winter months.

we can only get so far on our tandem. we have AAA as a pickup service. but n winter if we are stuck and cant ride we can get really cold. been debating on hauling clothing to put on if we break down. once we stop riding you get cold fast.

I carry a Garmin InReach Mini whenever I am on the bike or in the car. I also carry a cell phone. I routinely travel in areas without cell coverage. For me, it is peace of mind. I have used the Mini two times in five years, both cases, for other people. Both cases involved serious, life threatening, injuries. The device is very small, rugged (3.5oz, IPX7), easily carried in a pocket. Depending on how it is configured by the user, the rechargeable battery (micro USB) can last for weeks on one charge. I typically have it powered off in my pocket, only powered on for emergencies. The monthly cost, $15/mo., can be controlled by the customer. The service can be suspended when it is not needed. The device uses the Iridium Satellite Network that covers the entire earth. I routinely test the device and have only found one location without immediate service (deep canyon). I waited, and within ten minutes had a connection. When the SOS button is pressed, the folks at the IERCC (International Emergency Response Coordination Center, owned and operated by Garmin, open 24/7), will communicate via text to determine the nature of the emergency. They will then contact the appropriate SAR service and stay connected during the emergency. They have experience, 105K SOS calls processed, 16K emergency responses coordinated. For me, this is just another type of insurance, well worth the $15/mo.

InReach.png

Last edited:
I live in (black) bear country. In spring and fall, I wear a whistle around my neck, and carry bear spray in my rack pack. Some of the trails that I ride do not have cell service, so in addition to tools, a medical kit, and a spare tube, I also pack a 12 gauge flare pistol.

In addition to small(er) critters, I have encountered deer, moose, and a mother bear with 2 cubs. In all cases, the tire and motor noise was sufficient to frighten them away.

I always carry my phone, a spare inner tube, tube repair kit, pump and tools, as well as a FIBERFIX Emergency Spoke Replacement Kit. On my person, I always have my wallet, a knife, multitool, flashlight and bandana. On some local rides, I'll take a small pepper gel spray for vicious dogs or persons (not bears). The gel doesn't leave a fog in the air.

On my upcoming cross country ride, I'll add first aid kit and chain repair kit, along with my camping gear.

I'll second the recommendation of Energizer AA lithiums. I've been using them in my EDC flashlight and truck flashlight for many years. They work better in the cold, and have a very long shelf life. For frequent use, rechargeables cost less. My ebike and etrike lights are wired to the main battery.

As for emergency space blankets, look for the ones that are not made of Mylar. One little tear in Mylar, and the whole thing will rip. The poly ones are thicker and slightly larger, but very tear resistant. Long ago, I bought some of the SOL brand, but later found a no-name brand that's just as good, on Amazon. You may never need the space blanket, but when you do... Many years ago, I actually saved someone from hypothermia by getting beneath a space blanket with them. It was some time getting help, so he may not have survived, otherwise.

As mentioned, if you are in unfamiliar territory, a compass is useful. I have a Suunto on a watch band, and when hiking, a larger compass.
The permethrin clothing treatment mentioned is also good. I make a stronger solution than the spray, and soak clothing in a large zipper bag. It lasts much longer than spraying it on. You can buy a quart of 10% permethrin in feed stores. It is used to spray livestock. Just make sure that there are no "petroleum distillates" in it. I dilute it down to about 2% to treat clothing. The US military issues a kit to field treat clothing. It is a large plastic bag and some premixed permethrin.

One new thing is emergency satellite texts from your phone. Apple is using the existing emergency satellites, and it requires a special phone. Also, from what I read, you have to hold the phone "just right", and sending the text can take several steps. T-Mobile and Starlink will begin a text satellite service next year, using the Starlink internet birds. This will work with a standard cellphone, and should have very good coverage in the US. I don't know what this will cost, but since I have T-Mobile, I'm looking forward to when this will be available. I did have an InReach Mini, but didn't use it enough to justify the cost.

Back