What mirror do you use?

tpcollins

I’ve been riding around town and my head is continually on a swivel so I’m thinking I need a mirror to see what’s behind me.

I don’t really want one mounted on the handlebars but the kind that clip on your hat or glasses might work. (I always thought those looked goofy).

Just wirdering what works best.

https://takealookactive.com/product/original-mirror/

1592401645454.png

I was just looking at those - trying to decide sidewise on the compact versus the original.

This sight has 6 different frame lengths - +/- .5”, .1”, 1.5”. The only store near me is REI and they just carry the original.

Nothing is ever easy.

When I got back into riding earlier this year (sold our 10 year old Pedegos and bought some newer e-bikes), I went down on my first hard ride during a 'momentary lapse of concentration' while looking over my shoulder before making a left turn. Things happen fast at 20+mph! Right then, in a fair amount of pain, I determined that I was going to start using rear view mirrors!

I tested the Takealook brand mirror, both in the standard and smaller sizes. Would have been the least expensive solution since we have multiple bikes and would otherwise have to buy a bunch of bar-end mirrors.

In the end neither I nor my wife could get the good rear view desired with the eyeglass mounted Takealook mirrors. We ultimately 'standardized' on the Hafny HF-MR083 for our little fleet of e-bikes and now feel 'naked' and uncomfortable if we don't have one on the bike we are riding. More expensive option than the eyeglass or helmet mounted mirror, but gives us the information we need to safely be out on the road.

I've never tried a helmet mounted mirror, so can't comment on their effectiveness. But the bar end mirrors work, and work very well.

In the end neither I nor my wife could get the good rear view desired with the eyeglass mounted Takealook mirrors. We ultimately 'standardized' on the Hafny HF-MR083 for our little fleet of e-bikes and now feel 'naked' and uncomfortable if we don't have one on the bike we are riding. More expensive option than the eyeglass or helmet mounted mirror, but gives us the information we need to safely be out on the road.

I just ordered the Hafnny HF-MR083. I have a tube I can slip the grip on and chuck it in my lathe to cut a clean hole on the end of it. Thanks.

For bikes that I ride only on trails (or at most a short ride to the trail via roads) I have not needed a mirror for them.

Just one ride on open highway last year got me ordering a mirror. I have since put this left mirror (only) on my road bikes:

I have one bike that I plan to dedicate for when I ride in large cities (rack and panniers already installed on it) and will add the right side mirror as well for in city use.

My experience being less than a year of using mirrors is once you have that left side mirror for usual city riding and highway rides - becomes very natural feeling, like the side mirrors in your car - glance quick and return eyes to the road. I suppose I like this shape of a mirror because it reminds me of an automobiles side mirror as well.

Now if I'm on one of my mirror-less trail bikes and happen to be on the road/street for a short ride, I really miss the mirror and feel it instantly.

Fully understand your preference not to have a handlebar mounted mirror - I was somewhat the same thinking last year when I started - but now thankful I tried it out and made it work for me.

I was just looking at those - trying to decide sidewise on the compact versus the original.

This sight has 6 different frame lengths - +/- .5”, .1”, 1.5”. The only store near me is REI and they just carry the original.

Nothing is ever easy.
Original size works very well for me . I may try that Hafny though ; thanks .

The helmet ones are too jiggly. You want a bar-mount one. All the shops carry Mirrycle. Kind of the de-facto mirror for bikes. 👍
Or get one online for half the price. It's a cheap date.

The helmet ones are too jiggly. You want a bar-mount one. All the shops carry Mirrycle. Kind of the de-facto mirror for bikes. 👍
Or get one online for half the price. It's a cheap date.
I like them but they stick out so far they get bmuped a lot. the one i posted is almsot as good but it does not get knocked around.

I use the original Take a Look mirror attached to my helmet and am very happy with it. It took a bit of adjustment to get my preferred field of vision but only about 5 minutes. One trick I found is to focus on the view in the mirror not the mirror its self.

I have a few bikes I only ride occasionally so I need to remember to move a mirricycle over. It only take a minute or two, one allen screw, but I usually forget. That's where a helmet mirror would work better, but last night I forgot both the mirror and my helmet.

Even riding on a quiet residential street, I want to know who is coming up behind me.

When I got back into riding earlier this year (sold our 10 year old Pedegos and bought some newer e-bikes), I went down on my first hard ride during a 'momentary lapse of concentration' while looking over my shoulder before making a left turn. Things happen fast at 20+mph! Right then, in a fair amount of pain, I determined that I was going to start using rear view mirrors!

I tested the Takealook brand mirror, both in the standard and smaller sizes. Would have been the least expensive solution since we have multiple bikes and would otherwise have to buy a bunch of bar-end mirrors.

I've never tried a helmet mounted mirror, so can't comment on their effectiveness. But the bar end mirrors work, and work very well.

So true TMH.
Mirrors make a huge difference while cycling. Once you have one you can’t imagine cycling without it.
Hope you weren’t hurt in your crash.

I second the Mirrcycles as being very good mirrors especially if mounted on the bar ends. I also use a Zefal spy mirror which mounts with a strap but is very small and I don't tend to hit it when going through tight spaces such as doorways etc.
IMG_0325.jpg

What mirror is best really depends on personal preference. You need to try a variety of types to decide what works best for you.

I've used a dozen or more different mirrors during my riding years. In my case, I prefer the helmet or eyeglass mounted models. They allow adjusting the field of view with a slight head movement which you can't with a bar mount. I have 3 bikes so I would have to put bar mounts on all 3. Since I always wear a helmet, I've tried several helmet types. Unlike eyeglass mounts, the mirror comes off with the helmet and is one less thing to fool with. Some helmet mounts do shift easily as others have said. I eventually found this one from EVT:

41fZ4nFmh5L._AC_.jpg

It uses Velcro and / or zip ties to fasten to the helmet and is rock solid. It takes a significant jolt to knock it out of alignment. At $40, it's a bit pricey but worth the expense IMO.

I tried and lost my Mirracycle mirror on my first and only fall on an ebike.
Haibike Xduro Urban3.jpg

I wanted something more compact and adjustable so I purchased a different mirror and I like it much better than the Mirracycle.

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

Back