What kind of headlight do you use (or recommend)?

Here’s a flashlight on the other end of the cost spectrum (~$99). This light is the Fenix BC30. They have another model, the BT30R. The difference is the batteries are external, thus the flashlight is shorter. I have the BC30 where the batteries are mounted in the flashlight. You’ll notice the top of the lenses have little bars that go across the lens. This is to help prevent blinding other people. The lens throw in the last picture shows the cut-off along the top of the beam. The lumens on Turbo mode is 1200. You can flash 1800 lumens using the remote thumb switch. Also the light output is neutral white, instead of cool white which most bike flashlights are.

IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0938.JPG IMG_0941.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been looking at the Orfos Flare. They illuminate a sphere of light on the ground around the bike for maximum visibility: http://www.amazon.com/Orfos-Flare-Degree-Headlight-Light/dp/B00SIN4D3G

Another good choice would be the Cyclic Fly6 & Fly12, which include built-in cameras: https://cycliq.com/

I'm probably not going to get the Orfos Flare, as my ST2 already has a headlight and taillight built-in, but will get the Fly6 & Fly12 as I'm looking to add a camera setup to my bike.

Wow, this looks like a GREAT product! A little more than what I want to spend, especially since most of my riding is on a beach bike path and not in traffic, but otherwise I'd probably lean strongly towards this.

I swear by this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E38I3XQ

SecurityIng Waterproof 5600 Lumens 5X T6 LED Bicycle Light 3 Modes Headlight with 8.4V 8000mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack and Charger

It's a 5-LED version of the light that PowerMe posted above. I used to use a $10 LED flashlight with the same LED that powers both of these lights (http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire-WF-502B-Cree-LED-Flashlight/dp/B004L072RE), and it worked really well for a long time, but I found that its beam was too focused and didn't broadly illuminate the road, and I've found that with the 5-LED version, the beam is still relatively focused, but that I can point the beam 40 ft in front of me to illuminate the road and see any potholes or road debris, and the LED array is bright enough that it still illuminates the road closer to the bike really well, whereas with the 1-LED light, you have to sacrifice either the proximity lighting or the far-off lighting. Some may say that this 5-LED headlight is overkill and that bikes only need <1000 lumens, but there are situations (traveling over 20MPH in a zone without streetlights, for instance) when you don't want to be caught without enough lighting, and this light will never let you down in those situations. If I have to choose between having a headlight that offers more than I will need in most situations and having a headlight that won't illuminate potholes/debris until it's too late, I'll choose the overkill-headlamp every time.

I was leaning towards this, but as I read through the reviews, it seems a lot of people are having problems with the mount, and weak velcro for the battery pack :-( Also, people are saying that it is a bit heavy. What say you, Cameron?

I was leaning towards this, but as I read through the reviews, it seems a lot of people are having problems with the mount, and weak velcro for the battery pack :-( Also, people are saying that it is a bit heavy. What say you, Cameron?

The velcro is weak, and the battery is heavy. Many bikes offer 6V auxiliary power to power headlights off of the main battery, so you don't necessarily need the 8400mAh battery at all if you intend to integrate the light like that. The headlight mount is fine, and comes with two different rubber grips to suit different handlebar thicknesses. This headlight is the best option for extreme brightness, but its beam pattern isn't ideal. The Supernova M99 is better in a lot of ways than this 5-LED array, however, the Supernova M99 is 4x the price and offers 1/4th the brightness.

The velcro is weak, and the battery is heavy. Many bikes offer 6V auxiliary power to power headlights off of the main battery, so you don't necessarily need the 8400mAh battery at all if you intend to integrate the light like that. The headlight mount is fine, and comes with two different rubber grips to suit different handlebar thicknesses. This headlight is the best option for extreme brightness, but its beam pattern isn't ideal. The Supernova M99 is better in a lot of ways than this 5-LED array, however, the Supernova M99 is 4x the price and offers 1/4th the brightness.

I'm starting to see that there are a lot of things to consider for a headlight. I definitely get your point in regards to short-distance lighting as well as long-distance lighting. On an ebike, you want to have a decent distance illuminated in front of you; however, if you don't have to sacrifice one for the other, that is ideal. As I consider these issues, this is what I'd like to find in a light (in no particular order):

1) Adjustable settings. It'd be great to have strong light for a good distance in front of you, but to also be able to turn the setting down if you are in a more populated area and don't want to blind pedestrians or others.
2) Light-weight. The Cree light you mentioned is one and a half pounds. That's a significant weight.
3) Reliable mounting. People seem to love that Cree light you mentioned, but many absolutely hated the mount. One person had the battery come off and end up in the front wheel, and allegedly destroyed the bike.
4) Warning sensor for low battery.
5) Ability to see both long distance ahead and shorter, more immediate area, with some light for seeing things to the side.

I'm going to research a lot more, but I like this one for looks and very lightweight: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A3A1TUMP1POVI6

This is the USD version of the Solar Storm that RoyL mentioned, and the reviews say it gives off pretty good light and has versatile settings: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2L411JIUGX01S

One thing I was going to add is that I really like the TinBuk2 bags. I mean they could be better, because while an iPhone does fit in the top (and it's VERY handy to be able to push your phone to get the time or any texts/calls), it doesn't fit as well as it might. But a battery pack could probably be placed inside this bag, and save space on the bike frame.

The 15 lux spanninga that came with the Easy Motion Street bike was held on with 1 small screw that came loose. This light was replaced with an AXA Luxx 70 plus that cost approximately $100, casts a bright beam the width of a bike lane, and has a USB connection that can be used to charge electronic devices, batteries, phones etc. It came with all hardware, installed without cutting any wires and came with 4 mounting brackets, 2 types for suspension forks and 2 types for a fork crown.

There is a detailed review here:
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/koplampen/Axa_luxx_70_plus/index_en.html

It was purchased online at dutchbikekits:
http://www.dutchbikebits.com/axa-luxx-70-plus-headlight-with-usb

This lamp works well as a "low beam," in conjunction with a handlebar mounted "high beam." My commuting setup adds a cygolite turbo 800 on the handlebars, running mostly on a medium setting for increased long range visibility.

In winter, a helmet mounted light set to strobe is added to catch the attention of motorists during the commute. This works well, as the beam direction can be quickly moved by turning one's head.

The turbo 800 and light similar to it can be blinding to oncoming pedestrians and cyclists if pointed at them. However, the AXA seems to be designed to minimize that effect during use.

hopefully the links pop up...but there is company name hybrid light, this is found on amazon for like 25 bucks.

pretty cool...has solar panel built in...has usb so you can charge like a phone.
i believe there is an youtube video of it comparing a 300 lumen cree light for a comparison...obviouslly the 300 lumen cree won but the fact that you have 160 lumen solar charged in indirect sunlight,waterproof,usb chargeable, and it floats. shock resistant and can be stored for seven years without recharge.( don't know about that one?) makes it cool.

but in general, get a light mount for bike and clamp it on.....160 lumen sounds nice....
in the youtube video it puts out a centered light,sorry seems like a 5 or 10 degree angle of light....like a ball of light
very concentrated......30 feet away made a six inch light. very cool.

i have heard that a car light on low has 1200 lumen...so this is cool.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Q841WWXJSEV0RPEJ9X9

Hybrid Solar LED Flashlight & Charger, Powerful 160 Lumens
by HYBRID LIGHT

• Super bright 160 lumens
  • Can charge electronics with its USB port
  • Solar rechargeable even with indirect light
  • Micro USB rechargable
  • Waterproof and it floats, extremely durable
See more product details

4 new from $25.95

+1
The Cree lights outperform much more expensive bike lights.

That is a bold statement to make, but I guess that it depends upon your use. :)

At this time of year, I probably ride anything between 60-90 miles a week off road, and find the more expensive Fenix BT20 to be far superior in every respect. The spread of beam makes fast off road night riding far safer and easier. The spot light effect of the cheapo cree lights works against you.

That's not to say that I don't use the cheap cree lights, and indeed I have two 1 Cree and one 4 cree light. I tend to switch around depending upon where I am riding. I always keep a 1 cree light fitted to the bike though, as a back up for the Fenix BT20 For an evening of riding, you do need the six cell battery pack, and not the four. The one negative of the Fenix, is that it only uses two battery cells as standard, which is pretty poor. I carry spare batteries.
As has already been mentioned, the Cree lights aren't free of problems, but given the quantity produced and the price, you can't go wrong as a general purpose light. Problems include, water ingress behind the lens, mounting screws that work loose, tight or loose connectors, and the Velcro strap on the battery cover breaks off. But as said, given the price of the lights, these problems aren't a worry or concern.

I'm not worried about the rear lights for my riding, and just buy a box of give away money, cheap ones direct from China, which I pretty much throw away after a few months of use.

One cree. These two clips are slightly unfair, as the red rear light is throwing the camera light sensor.

Two single cree lights

Four cree.

Four cree plus one cree

I'll try and film the Fenix being used as a comparison at some stage, but here is the promo clip. The strobe mode is just plain dangerous to other road users. Also the beam is more yellow than bright white as shown. Not sure how they achieved that.

Mounting bracket for the cree lights.

C3_zps6i0gslrh.png

Last edited:
I'm starting to see that there are a lot of things to consider for a headlight. I definitely get your point in regards to short-distance lighting as well as long-distance lighting. On an ebike, you want to have a decent distance illuminated in front of you; however, if you don't have to sacrifice one for the other, that is ideal. As I consider these issues, this is what I'd like to find in a light (in no particular order):

1) Adjustable settings. It'd be great to have strong light for a good distance in front of you, but to also be able to turn the setting down if you are in a more populated area and don't want to blind pedestrians or others.
2) Light-weight. The Cree light you mentioned is one and a half pounds. That's a significant weight.
3) Reliable mounting. People seem to love that Cree light you mentioned, but many absolutely hated the mount. One person had the battery come off and end up in the front wheel, and allegedly destroyed the bike.
4) Warning sensor for low battery.
5) Ability to see both long distance ahead and shorter, more immediate area, with some light for seeing things to the side.

I'm going to research a lot more, but I like this one for looks and very lightweight: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A3A1TUMP1POVI6

This is the USD version of the Solar Storm that RoyL mentioned, and the reviews say it gives off pretty good light and has versatile settings: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2L411JIUGX01S

Some of the Cree lights are heavy and Chinese QC is hit n miss. So, I opted for single Cree XML.
I bought these lights 2 months ago and real happy about the amt of lumens it puts out. Coupled with bike's integrated headlight, it can rival M99.
I don't expect this light to last years because I only paid $14.9 and I could purchase a light every 6 months and still be ahead. Also, if you run the cables down the top tube, it can be pretty stealth like I have it here.

ST2 - lights.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got one of those $45 "Bright Eyes" CREE lights and battery from Amazon, with the diffuser lens. The soldering joint inside the bulb came off, so I got a new one in mail in a couple of days. The $10 version does not include the battery, if I recall it correctly. The light is rated at 1200 lumen, but that might be a stretch. Used with my bike's 60 lux Busch and Mueller dynamo light, things are pretty clear up front. The CREE light seems better for being seen, while the 60 lux light has a brighter patch on its focus area.

My other bike has a 70/90 lux Busch and Mueller light that is clearly better than the CREE for lighting up a larger and wider area. Coupled with a Cygoline 350 lumen light, that bike has a more complete and better pattern for darkness riding.

The CREE was much cheaper, for sure, but is holding up fine in all weather.

Hi guys/gals,

As I'm taking my first steps, I am purchasing accessories for my wants/needs... I know very little about headlight brands and so forth, although it seems common sense that on an ebike, of all things, the headlight is even MORE important, because we are traveling at higher speeds, and need to see farther/better view in front of us. With that in mind, what do you use/recommend?
I like and use CygoLites because they are a good value and self contained where you don't need a separate battery. The Metro line is easy rubber band mount, USB chargeable and goes up to 800 lumens. I recently got the Cygolite 1300 for extra power at night but you can't charge is via USB. Awesome light though. Throws a beam brighter than a car headlight.

Back