What kind of bell do you use?

Operator7

Well I took my brand new ST1 Plat for a very successful test ride yesterday, and one thing became very apparent to me - people do NOT look where they are going!

Another thing became very apparent - the ST1 bell sucks.

Someone had posted a pretty nice traditional style bell on this forum a week or two ago, but I cannot seem to find the thread it was mentioned in. It was just like a regular bike bell, except louder and longer duration. If anyone knows this bell, would you please let me know?

Beyond all of that, curious to know what kind of bell or horn you guys/gals use? As I'm exploring the horns, they are definitely louder and get attention, but the drawback seems to be that they are more obnoxious. I'd hate to be that guy who is constantly blaring a horn all over the place. Traditional bells seem much less obnoxious and pleasant, while still providing an alarm to others. Curious to hear your opinions. I'm posting this thread in this Stromer room, because I think the Stromer is a much faster bike than most. Trying this bike after my Eflow, and this bike definitely is a lot faster, and requires much more of a warning system.

I like my orp horn, only quirky thing is it is a unique warning sound, not really a bell per second, but it works. They have frequent discounts if you buy direct fyi!

From looking at the horns on the web, the Orp seems the most preferable to me. The sound isn't as obnoxious as others, but seems to be a pretty good alert. I'm leaning towards the Mirrcycle bell though, as there are no charging worries, and the sound is a little nicer. I will say though that after yesterday, I'm really wondering about going with something louder like the Orp. I really had no idea how ignorant/oblivious many people are when walking - and not only walking, but walking onto a double-laned bike path, that is clearly marked for bikes, and has high bike traffic... yet people will walk right onto the path without looking, as though they are drunk and deaf. It was pretty amazing to behold.

Damn tho, just realized the Orp is $60! It DOES come with a light, but not sure how useful the light is. Can anyone comment on the usefulness of the light?

There is a "140db" version that is cheaper, but it seems like the sound is not nearly as well-done. Woops, I'm mistaken. The 140db is the Hornit. Here's a good video to demonstrate this one, but to me, the sound is pretty obnoxious:

Last edited:
From looking at the horns on the web, the Orp seems the most preferable to me. The sound isn't as obnoxious as others, but seems to be a pretty good alert. I'm leaning towards the Mirrcycle bell though, as there are no charging worries, and the sound is a little nicer. I will say though that after yesterday, I'm really wondering about going with something louder like the Orp. I really had no idea how ignorant/oblivious many people are when walking - and not only walking, but walking onto a double-laned bike path, that is clearly marked for bikes, and has high bike traffic... yet people will walk right onto the path without looking, as though they are drunk and deaf. It was pretty amazing to behold.

Damn tho, just realized the Orp is $60! It DOES come with a light, but not sure how useful the light is. Can anyone comment on the usefulness of the light?

There is a "140db" version that is cheaper, but it seems like the sound is not nearly as well-done. Woops, I'm mistaken. The 140db is the Hornit. Here's a good video to demonstrate this one, but to me, the sound is pretty obnoxious:

I bought the ORP as I assumed louder was better. However, NO ONE noticed the Orp. The tone is so foreign and disassociated with bicycles that no one paid attention. I shelved and replace with a spur cycle bell. Works much better.

The Spur seems good, but it's definitely not cheap. The Crane seems loudest of the bells, but it's also kinda big, and I'm not sure if I like the look of it on my modern-looking ST1.

I like the sound of the Crane bell. If that doesn't get their attention then they are either deaf or from West Virginia, lol. I will buy one of those soon. Thanks for the post.

The Spur seems good, but it's definitely not cheap. The Crane seems loudest of the bells, but it's also kinda big, and I'm not sure if I like the look of it on my modern-looking ST1.
It comes in mat black, so if your bike is black it will blend right in. Also in silver and brass.

I like the one that came with my St 2. I rang it on a path for passing a walker and I noticed a husband had his wife move over 20 yards in front of the person I rang it for, and this was right next to one of the busiest freeways. The pitch is very high and distinctive.

Apologies, I am mistaken. The mini bell comes in matte black http://www.treefortbikes.com/#navbar=pro___333222406639___139

The Suzu bell comes in hand painted black, in either night or maple http://www.treefortbikes.com/#navbar=pro___333222406658___139

The Origin8 on Amazon looks similar, but is from a different manufacturer.

Damn, why did they put those stupid sunflowers on it?!!! :mad:

I searched Google and saw a couple pics of the Crane Suzu in all black, but can't find it listed for sale anywhere. I also see a Mirrcycle bell that looks similar to this as well... http://www.amazon.com/Mirrycle-Incredibell-Striker-Bike-Bell/dp/B00GUCM1O0

I use the Orp. Got mine on Amazon.com.

I agree that people don't look carefully where they are going. If you're going to ride where there is traffic, you need a bell loud enough to penetrate their hearing when they're in their car.

Lucky for me, I tend to me more on beach bike paths... I like the Orp, but in places where there are pedestrians around, I'd be afraid to use it because it might come off as too obnoxious.

If worse comes to worse, I can just paint over the flowers on the black Crane Suzu, but I'm going to try the Origin8. I wish I could hear or read a review of the E-ne, but there don't seem to be any listed on the web.

Back