What is a good "Multi Tool" for maintaining an XP?

EVBiker

Can someone recommend a good multi tool or tool kit for maintaining an XP?

I plan to replace the seat post so I guess I'll need to loosen and tighten the seatpost and I gather that I should check and tighten the wheel spokes so the tool should be able to handle that as well.

Would the following multi tool work for the seat post and spokes along with other maintenance and service needs for an XP?

Thanks!

I carry the Topeak Alien II bike multi-tool; just about everything you need, including tire levers. I also carry a flat kit with a spare tube, more tire levers, patch kit, tire boot, mini-pump, CO2 inflator, and grease wipe.

One of the biggest reason for you to get stranded is flat tire.

I'd say Bolton E-Bike Multi Tool

This looks good but it does not seem to have anything to adjust the spokes -- right?

from some posts I've read, seems adjusting the spokes to make sure they are tight is important.

Ideally I'd like to buy a took or kit that has everything I need at a reasonable cost.

Do you have a mid drive? :confused:

Lectric is powered by geared hub motor, unlike mid drive, it does not have quick release or thru-axle.

The only way to take off rear wheel is by Bolton E-Bike Multi-Tool, or something similar. (like Knipex pliers)
Hmmm. That's not correct at all, at least regarding my Rad Rover hub motor rear wheel. An 18 mm open end wrench, which may be included on many bike multi-tools, is all that's needed. (Has to be open-ended on the side with the motor wire. A box wrench or socket works fine on the other side. If you have an 18 mm socket.)

But the OP's question had to do with a seat post and spokes, both of which are generally home or shop jobs, for which a multi-tool is okay, if that's all you have, but not preferred if you have a fairly normal collection of shop tools.

I'm not a big fan of multi-tools, although I have some. I know there are some that come with 193 different tools on them, but I think they rarely include spoke wrenches. I could be wrong. The Bolton multi-tool doesn't appear to.

Tangentially, I wonder why anyone would choose an 18 mm nut for a rear axle nut?

TT

Last edited:
This looks good but it does not seem to have anything to adjust the spokes -- right?

from some posts I've read, seems adjusting the spokes to make sure they are tight is important.

Ideally I'd like to buy a took or kit that has everything I need at a reasonable cost.
You posted while I was composing.... You're right, the Bolton tool doesn't have a spoke wrench, but you shouldn't need to carry a spoke wrench around with you. You can, of course, but stop in your LBS nad get a dedicated one that's the right size for your spokes. It's about the size of a silver dollar and doesn't cost much. You might use it twice a year. Even then, unless you have a pretty good idea of what you're doing, tuning spokes is a job often best left to the pros at your LBS.

TT

I did not mention open end wrench on purpose because it's not portable. Whereas Knipex plier is, and it is better than crescent wrench in my opinion.
Interestingly, I carry spoke wrench. The real one. It doesn't take much space at all so I carry it all the time.
Nothing at all wrong with carrying a spoke wrench. You're right, of course, it basically takes up no room and it would certainly be nice to have if you need it, but how often do you use it on the road?

As for an 18 mm open end wrench not being portable, I don't mean to be so contrary, but what are you talking about?!! I have one in the little bag of tools that came with my bike. The whole bag is roughly the size of a small multi-tool. The wrench in question is smaller than a salad fork. The one pictured below looks heftier than mine, but either one will easily fit in an under-the-saddle bag or in your pocket along with a lot of other stuff.
1599901944348.png

TT

Well, Timpo, I see what you mean now about the Bolton tool. It is about the only multi-tool out there with a wrench that opens up to 18 mm, which you do need to remove hub motor rear wheels in case of a flat. The OP didn't ask about wheels, but he did want something that would cover everything. Of course it doesn't deal with spokes. I think a better answer to his post might be that you aren't likely to find one multi-tool that's going to do everything.

On the road, in a pinch, you use what you need and have, but still, for most nuts, I don't like adjustable wrenches or pliers with teeth. A flat, open end wrench is the tool of choice, IMO. A good multi-tool along with a few other select tools will probably be necessary to feel prepared for things that can happen on the road. (I don't see any multi-tools that have tire levers, for example, but I think they are essential -- along with a patch kit, an inflator of some sort, a spare tube, and so on.)

TT

In my opinion the multi tools are often too small and awkward to use and I carry an assortment of small individual tools that don't end up taking much more room than a multitool and are much easier to use.
Though... A small Leatherman is part of my kit.

This Crank Brothers is one I carry (along with a Leatherman...useful for pliers to remove sharp objects from tires). The multi tool does have spoke wrenches on the other side of the chain tool. Everything slides into a sleeve which holds them magnetically.

Attachments

• C2D45366-08C2-43E0-BAD3-E3B8EEF6028B.jpeg
    C2D45366-08C2-43E0-BAD3-E3B8EEF6028B.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 398
this is the best tool kit to pack along on your bike that i have found. Way better than a multi tool IMO. Full range of driver bits plus a chain breaker tool and tire levers.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

So do we have any consensus on a tool kit or multi tool I should buy that would cover spokes, seatpost replacement, and other minor adjustments and handlebar accessory installations I might want to do?

I woudld REALLY prefer to buy this on Amazon because of the super easy return process. A recommendation for a quality and comprehensive Amazon tool kit would be awesome.

I don't trade with Amazon. I don't like their politics and they don't need my money. I vote with my dollars and prefer to support smaller businesses. You have the recommendations for the tools. If you insist on Amazon, go there and search for what you want.

For what you're asking about, the CrankBrothers tool Latitude mentions above will do. It won't help you get a rear tire off in case you have a flat.

TT

I don't trade with Amazon. I don't like their politics and they don't need my money. I vote with my dollars and prefer to support smaller businesses. You have the recommendations for the tools. If you insist on Amazon, go there and search for what you want.

I find the insinuation that I should not ask for advice on a tool kit I can buy on Amazon to be ironic coming from someone who profess to not support "Amazon's politics." Perhaps more people will hear you out if you are not so quick to judge and impose your politics on others. While you are telling me to do my own searching on Amazon, have you considered just going about your life while letting someone who may want to actually help me the opportunity to so so?

I've already supported a "small business" by buying my Lectric XP. Now I want to buy a tool kit from a company with an easy return policy and get on with my life. I've looked on Amazon and there are a hundred tool kits and not all of them are for electric bikes.

So I figured the savvy people on this forum would know of a decent electric bike tool kit I can buy on Amazon for the adjustments and maintenance I may want to do. In turn when another new user comes along and asks for a recommendation, I will be happy to share what I know.

Not everything in life has to be about "politics." Sometimes you just want a good tool kit and be able to send it back without issue if there is a problem :)

Last edited:
[QUOTE="EVBiker, post: 330573, member: 36567"
So I figured the savvy people on this forum would know of a decent electric bike tool kit I can buy on Amazon for the adjustments and maintenance I may want to do. In turn when another new user comes along and asks for a recommendation, I will be happy to share what I know.
[/QUOTE]

I and others have made recommendations as to what tool kits we like. It seemed like you were asking people to take it to the next step and do your searching for those kits on Amazon and provide you a link. If you can navigate this forum, I think it is fair to assume you could find an item on Amazon, once you had suggestions on what to look for.

And yes, I did say that I objected to their politics but I refrained from stating what those were in an effort to avoid any controversy. They are a vendor I like to avoid and won't support and I provided a neutral explanation as to why.

When you asked me do not only suggest a tool (which I gladly did) but also provide you with where to find it on Amazon, I drew a line.

I do also carry a compact tire kit... spare tube, tire levers, c02 and mini pump.
Oh, yeah, me too. I wasn't suggesting you didn't. I meant to emphasize to EVBiker that they aren't going to find an all-in-one solution to every bicycle maintenance issue in any multi-tool. The Crankbrothers tool covers a lot of territory, but if that's all you have you may be walking your bike 6 miles home after a flat.

I mentioned in another thread that I just got a Crankbrothers pump. It's my first Crankbrothers purchase, and I'm very impressed with the quality. It's called a High Volume pump but it is woefully inadequate for my 26x4 tires! It will get the job done if it ever comes to it, I suppose. Anyway, my point is that based on their pump, their multi-tool is surely also high quality and will be a good addition to anyone's kit.

EVBiker wants something with a spoke wrench and Crankbrothers is the only one mentioned. As stated, I'd go with a dedicated spoke wrench and a few other tools. I kinda like Park Tools myself but there are a lot of others out there that look good too though, but multi-tools just seem like a compromise to me. More the kind of thing your aunt, who knows you ride a bike, might give you for Christmas than what you ought to get for yourself. That's just my opinion, of course.

TT

If you’re riding out in the bushes or the woods, or touring, don’t forget a Fiberfix spoke kit. And as mentioned earlier, a Leatherman or similar for the pliers. It can be murder trying to pull a small wire out of a tire without them.

If you’re riding out in the bushes or the woods, or touring, don’t forget a Fiberfix spoke kit. And as mentioned earlier, a Leatherman or similar for the pliers. It can be murder trying to pull a small wire out of a tire without them.

I had never heard of Fiberfix... looked it up. Great idea!

I had never heard of Fiberfix... looked it up. Great idea!
We carry the Fiberfix spoke kits on trips starting right after I broke a spoke on an out of town trip. Something about closing the barn door...

Back