What's a good suspension seatpost plus seat option?

Thanks everyone for the replies!
So I guess I should buy the Suntour in the 31.6mm size? Would the 400mm long version work with an XP Step Through? This is what I plan on buying:
The stock seat post on the Step-Thru is 400mm. For average ht. riders, the seat with the flex mechanism added should still give adequate ht. adjustment. The diameter is 31.8 Not sure whether this small difference in diameter is an issue.

The stock seat post on the Step-Thru is 400mm. For average ht. riders, the seat with the flex mechanism added should still give adequate ht. adjustment. The diameter is 31.8 Not sure whether this small difference in diameter is an issue.

Thanks! That's helpful to know.

So many different prices on Amazon for this model but only one is fulfilled by Amazon and in stock so I'll go with this one, so if there is an issue I can return it easily. Thanks everyone for all the advise! I guess Aliexpress might be a bit cheaper but I'm a bit afraid to go through return hassles of there is an issue.

I think I'm the only one here who uses the cheap Gannoper spring posts ($20-$30 on Amazon).

Seems to work for me and I have it on two of my bikes.

I think I'm the only one here who uses the cheap Gannoper spring posts ($20-$30 on Amazon).

Seems to work for me and I have it on two of my bikes.
My bike came with a spring seat post... better than a hard post. But the suspension post I replaced it with really transformed the ride!

Maybe one day I will splurge on one of those parallax suspension posts.

Right now, the spring post with a well cushioned suspension seat seem to be doing the trick.

Brand/model?
My bike is a Trek Verve + 3 low step. I have replaced its sprung seat post with a Redshift ShockStop one... it’s not cheap, but works remarkably well and blends in subtly. I also have their suspension stem.

Attachments

• 36FD5176-9EA9-43A0-8230-D64DF81D0A8D.jpeg
    36FD5176-9EA9-43A0-8230-D64DF81D0A8D.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 477
  • 3AC21289-BFA5-4288-8FD8-9A76AEDD6032.jpeg
    3AC21289-BFA5-4288-8FD8-9A76AEDD6032.jpeg
    608 KB · Views: 508
  • 3B48F1C9-E66B-4A6B-91D9-D2449F29DB84.jpeg
    3B48F1C9-E66B-4A6B-91D9-D2449F29DB84.jpeg
    734.4 KB · Views: 484
My bike is a Trek Verve + 3 low step. I have replaced its sprung seat post with a Redshift ShockStop one... it’s not cheap, but works remarkably well and blends in subtly. I also have their suspension stem.
Thanks!...been thinking about the ShokStop stem.Opinion vs suspension forks?

Thanks!...been thinking about the ShokStop stem.Opinion vs suspension forks?
I didn’t have the option of adding suspension forks; Trek says it can’t be done on my bike (although I think they do that in Europe). I have owned a conventional hardtail bike that I added front suspension forks to, and I have owned a dual suspension bike. For the kind of riding I do (pavement, relatively flat gravel and grassy trails) I found the dual suspension bike absorbed too much pedal energy... but it was around 2000 vintage. The front suspension bike worked great... it was a steel frame with a spring seat post added and the forks. I liked it.
But overall, I find the ShockStop stem to be very satisfying. It certainly won’t absorb the big bumps the way suspension forks do, at all. So you have to ride with your hands in control of the bars. But the stem adds real shock absorbing and vibration reduction. I wouldn’t go back, as most reviewers (many skeptical ones) have stated. And I don’t feel the need for suspension forks now, for the kind of riding I do. These two additions (seat post and stem) have turned a good commuter bike into a great trail rider as well for me.

Last edited:
I didn’t have the option of adding suspension forks; Trek says it can’t be done on my bike (although I think they do that in Europe). I have owned a conventional hardtail bike that I added front suspension forks to, and I have owned a dual suspension bike. For the kind of riding I do (pavement, relatively flat gravel and grassy trails) I found the dual suspension bike absorbed too much pedal energy... but it was around 2000 vintage. The front suspension bike worked great... it was a steel frame with a spring seat post added and the forks. I liked it.
But overall, I find the ShockStop stem to be very satisfying. It certainly won’t absorb the big bumps the way suspension forks do, at all. So you have to ride with your hands in control of the bars. But the stem adds real shock absorbing and vibration reduction. I wouldn’t go back, as most reviewers (many skeptical ones) have stated. And I don’t feel the need for suspension forks now, for the kind of riding I do.

Thanks again Latitude,
I will look into how they would fit on our Step-Thrus. My riding expectations seem close to yours(Old guy, reasonably conservative these days;-)

Just curious...I ordered the flex seat post from Lectric. Is there a reason why no one suggested this post?

Just curious...I ordered the flex seat post from Lectric. Is there a reason why no one suggested this post?

I opted not to get it because everyone is commenting about not getting a pogo stick.

Apparently a 4 link suspension is better.

Here's a great video showing how a 4 link suspension provides a much more "stabilized" suspension experience allowing for diagonal movement.

I'm so excited to join this forum! I placed my order on September 2nd and eagerly waiting for news about delivery. In the meantime I've started researching and purchasing accessories.

What's a good suspension seatpost plus seat option?

Would any 31.6mm post work?

I'm thinking about purchasing a Cane Creek 3G Thudbuster Long Travel Seatpost, 31.6 as it offers 1.3 inches of travel. Is that a good option? Will this seatpost fit the XP Step Through without modification?

I'm planning to pair the new seatpost with a Cloud-9 Cruiser Select Saddle, 10.5" x 10.75". If I should consider a different seat, please let me know.

I've never bought a seat before so would the Cloud 9 saddle fit the Thudbuster seatpost without issue? Are saddles and seatposts generally standard?

Look forward to receiving the bike, hopefully soon and getting the accessories installed.
Buy a zoom seat post and the cloud 9 with the air vent in the middle of the seat it's sooooo comfy

Just curious, any options for short people? I have my saddle all the way down so I probably can't do a suspension seatpost. Just thought it was worth asking.

Just curious, any options for short people? I have my saddle all the way down so I probably can't do a suspension seatpost. Just thought it was worth asking.
I am only 5’2” and the Redshift works well for me… but on a different bike admittedly. It’s 2 or 3” from bottomed out. Doesn’t help though if your seat is already fully lowered I guess.

I am only 5’2” and the Redshift works well for me… but on a different bike admittedly. It’s 2 or 3” from bottomed out. Doesn’t help though if your seat is already fully lowered I guess.
I'm also 5'2 :) . It's good to meet someone that knows what it's like, so to speak. Just finding a small-sized frame was a challenge for me. I will try the redshift too, i think. I really needed more height - im just going to have to practice mounting and dismounting a bit before hitting the trails. Thanks for the advice @Latitude!

Edit: @Latitude , did you have to buy a shim for yours? I looked those up online and they are 27" I think mine requires a 31.6".

Last edited:
Back