What is a good "Multi Tool" for maintaining an XP?

Whatever the XP Step Through comes with. Can I get tools to fix a flat in an XP Step Through without taking the wheel off?

With my previous non electric bikes, I could let the air own. Use a tire tool to slid out the tire and then pull the inner tube out and look for a hole to patch. Is it similar with an XP step Through?

Of course, the only thing different is there is a wire that comes out of the Hub Motor, everything is the same as in an analog bike, so yes you can.

Ive patched 2 holes using the method you said :)

Ah, doh, I forgot you said you were getting an Stepthru, so those inner tubes I linked will not work with our bikes because they dont have em in our size.

Of course, the only thing different is there is a wire that comes out of the Hub Motor, everything is the same as in an analog bike, so yes you can.

Ive patched 2 holes using the method you said :)

Ah, doh, I forgot you said you were getting an Stepthru, so those inner tubes I linked will not work with our bikes because they dont have em in our size.

Yikes you've had 2 flats already?!

I guess I should add a flat tire fixing kit to my list of tools! :oops:

Coming up to 3000km on my Trek Verve + 3, and have had 2 flat tires and a near miss (wire pulled out of the tread). In both cases I was miles from home and my wife doesn’t drive. Fixing the flats was really quite easy. If there is one maintenance skill you should learn, it’s changing a flat.

Yikes you've had 2 flats already?!

I guess I should add a flat tire fixing kit to my list of tools! :oops:
My record is 3 flats - in the same day! I started using thorn strips/tire liners right after that. Much better.

Flats are a fact of life with bicycles. I help teach cycling for a local youth group. Fixing a flat on their bike is a required skill before we go on any rides. Some take longer than others, but they all get it.

I do recommend practicing at home with your flat kit. It's better to learn at home, with your beverage of choice, than on some trail as twilight fades.

Thanks for the advice! My plan was to push the bike to a location where I can get to a road and call a Uber to a LBS but you are right, I should look up how to fix a flat. The electric part intimidates me but perhaps I can fix a flat without taking the wheel off...
I like Uber, but many of their cars won't fit an ebike. Just sayin'.

You all have convinced me. Okay so I'm going to buy a flat tire kit.

If anyone in the Washington DC area has a flat, let me know so I can practice on your bike. 😁

Satisfaction guaranteed or you can pay me more.

PS: You all have also convinced me to just go to the LBS and just ask them for what tools I should buy for the bike. This way I get buy a set of quality tools that exactly match what I need to do along with a flat tire repair kit.

I can also then pick up a pair of gel bike gloves that fit well and if the bike needs any minor adjustments, they can do that as well.

Does the Step Through ship with any tools at all?

What tool would I need to replace the seatpost and seat on a Step Through? That's the one accessory install I'll do before I bike to the LBS.

The Crankbrothers tool is a solid choice for a tool to have with you on your rides. By MTBing sons carry it.

Will you need additional tools? It all depends on how much of your own bike maintenance you want to do. If you start doing more work you'll find the small folding bike tool to be too limiting and hard to use. For me, drivetrain maintenance is top priority. This requires a way clean and lubricate the chain. I use a chain scrubber and brushes for this with a good quality chain lube. I also have T-handle hex wrenches with a ball end for those tight and hard to reach fasteners. A torque wrecnch is a good idea as most tend to over tighten small fasteners and under tighten larger ones, etc, etc. After 20+ years of bike maintenance I've got a whole shop of tools...🤔

As to carrying a 'compact inflator' for flats, I have to agree with @Latitude , it won't get you very far. Some prefer calling AAA, or a friend/spouse. I do agree with @Alaskan re a flat kit. I carry a flat fix it kit with a spare tube, tire levers, patch kit, tire boot, mini-pump, CO2 inflator, and cleanup wipes. Several of my favorite rides are out of cell range, so it's up to me to get my own *s* home! My usual practice is to swap tubes on the trail and use the CO2 inflator to get back to riding ASAP. I patch the tube back home and rotate it onto the flat kit as the next spare. I did have a blowout a few months ago that ruined the tube, no chance for a patch with the long split. Glad I had a spare!

To replace the tube, you have to take the entire wheel out, right? I find that part a bit intimidating withut Quick Release and the hub motor...

To replace the tube, you have to take the entire wheel out, right? I find that part a bit intimidating withut Quick Release and the hub motor...
I do take my wheel off, but I have a mid-drive motor on my current ebike. I did the same for my earlier DIY ebikes that did have hub motors. It was more work, but once I did it, it was OK.

Others have reported good results patching a tube with the wheel still on the bike. The basic technique is to take one tire bead off the rim and pull sections of the tube out checking for the leak. When you find it, apply a patch. While that sets for a few minutes feel in the tire casing for the reason for the flat (thorn, etc) and check the tread for any issues (a piece of wire, etc). Reassemble and pump it up.

Others still have reported good results leaving the wheel on, removing one tire bead, and cutting the tube in half, and pulling it out of the tire. Replace the cut tube with a specialty tube that is sealed on both ends like the Huffy Quick Change Tube. Pump it up and off you go.

Finally, die-hards, like myself I suppose, just practice taking off their hub motor wheel. You'll need an open-end wrench with your mini-tool. I carried an 18mm on my DIY ebike.

PS: You all have also convinced me to just go to the LBS and just ask them for what tools I should buy for the bike. This way I get buy a set of quality tools that exactly match what I need to do along with a flat tire repair kit.

I can also then pick up a pair of gel bike gloves that fit well and if the bike needs any minor adjustments, they can do that as well.

Does the Step Through ship with any tools at all?

What tool would I need to replace the seatpost and seat on a Step Through? That's the one accessory install I'll do before I bike to the LBS.
You might take a look at this thread on Tools for Field Repairs started by @Mr. Coffee. Some good suggestions on what and when to carry various tools on your rides.

Most new bikes don't come with any tools, esp when they are promoted as being fully assembled. It's hard to make out on the web site, but it looks like the seat post clamp uses a hex head fastener. The saddle seems to need an open-end wrench for adjustment/removal.

Don't forget a helmet along with the gloves, etc.! I've cracked 3 in the last 5 years from minor crashes.

You might take a look at this thread on Tools for Field Repairs started by @Mr. Coffee. Some good suggestions on what and when to carry various tools on your rides.

Most new bikes don't come with any tools, esp when they are promoted as being fully assembled. It's hard to make out on the web site, but it looks like the seat post clamp uses a hex head fastener. The saddle seems to need an open-end wrench for adjustment/removal.

Don't forget a helmet along with the gloves, etc.! I've cracked 3 in the last 5 years from minor crashes.

Thanks! Already bought a helmet with MIPS.

I was going to going to buy the Specialized Gemoetry gel gloves but it seems while they are a great design, the current batch is faulty with the gel bunching up inside the glove based on all the bad reviews on the Specialized Web site so I need to find another pair.

So it seems I should just buy a multi tool and and an adjustable bike wrench... (?)

Thanks! Already bought a helmet with MIPS.

I was going to going to buy the Specialized Gemoetry gel gloves but it seems while they are a great design, the current batch is faulty with the gel bunching up inside the glove based on all the bad reviews on the Specialized Web site so I need to find another pair.

So it seems I should just buy a multi tool and and an adjustable bike wrench... (?)
As a minimum, plus the other pieces and parts for a flat kit.

Apparently I have a guardian. My most common road chore is adjusting brakes, tightening the crank bolt, or adjusting my derailleur. Not a single flat in 12 years. I change out tires before they are in trouble. Go figure...

Back