What's a good suspension seatpost plus seat option?

EVBiker

I'm so excited to join this forum! I placed my order on September 2nd and eagerly waiting for news about delivery. In the meantime I've started researching and purchasing accessories.

Would any 31.6mm post work?

I'm thinking about purchasing a Cane Creek 3G Thudbuster Long Travel Seatpost, 31.6 as it offers 1.3 inches of travel. Is that a good option? Will this seatpost fit the XP Step Through without modification?

I'm planning to pair the new seatpost with a Cloud-9 Cruiser Select Saddle, 10.5" x 10.75". If I should consider a different seat, please let me know.

I've never bought a seat before so would the Cloud 9 saddle fit the Thudbuster seatpost without issue? Are saddles and seatposts generally standard?

Look forward to receiving the bike, hopefully soon and getting the accessories installed.

Last edited:
I'm so excited to join this forum! I placed my order on September 2nd and eagerly waiting for news about delivery. In the meantime I've started researching and purchasing accessories.

I'm thinking about purchasing a Cane Creek 3G Thudbuster Long Travel Seatpost, 31.6 as it offers 1.3 inches of travel. Is that a good option? Will this seatpost fit the XP Step Through without modification?

I'm planning to pair the new seatpost with a Cloud-9 Cruiser Select Saddle, 10.5" x 10.75". If I should consider a different seat, please let me know.

I've never bought a seat before so would the Cloud 9 saddle fit the Thudbuster seatpost without issue? Are saddles and seatposts generally standard?

Look forward to receiving the bike, hopefully soon and getting the accessories installed.
Buy the suntour suspension seat post. There's tons of info on this forum about it. 31.6 fits fine. It's a huge improvement. Buy on AliExpress. It's about$65 to $75

Has anyone tried the Cane Creek 3G Thudbuster Long Travel Seatpost? Just curious if it is worth the extra cost.

Has anyone tried the Cane Creek 3G Thudbuster Long Travel Seatpost? Just curious if it is worth the extra cost.

I have/had both Suntour and Thudbuster. It's about the same as the Suntour in movement, just the quality is much less and seems to bottom out easier. Suntour is a much better post. My thudbuster didn't come with a cover either.. Suntour did..

I paid $175 for the Thudbuster and $70 each for my Suntours. Returned the Thudbuster to Amazon last week at 30 day mark..

Skip the headache.. Buy the Suntour..

Reactions: BET
I had the Sun tour seat post on my old ebike and was happy with its performance. I thought it was a great product for the price.
I can't tell you how well it will hold up over time, as I sold the bike six months after installing the Sun tour post.

My wife and I also use the Suntour suspension seat post. They're a good economical solution. We've had ours for ~18 months with no complaints. They come with their 'medium' spring. Depending on rider weight you may need to also buy the their 'light' or 'heavy' spring. Others speak highly of the more expensive Kinect seat post. The Search function can pull these up for you.

Saddles are a highly personal choice. Like many here I have an 'inventory' of saddles that I've tried and replaced. This thread has 128 posts on this topic. Makes a good read, if you've got the time...😎

Manufacturers are now offering saddle 'fit tools' to help select a saddle that matches your 'sit bones' for proper support. WTB's Right Fit System is easy to use and doesn't require a trip to your LBS. Disclosure: one of my sons is and engineer for WTB.

I prefer a saddle with a narrow nose, a bit of padding at the seat bones, and a medium wide seat bone support spacing. Still, trying new saddles is almost a hobby...🤣

Last edited:

In my XP I went with Suntour with a Giddy Up seat. Suntour is great and the Giddy Up is close to the stock seat but it has a flashing light on the back.

I had a sore butt for a couple of weeks after I got my new bike- Haden’t been riding for years. So I switched the saddle that came with my bike out for a more plush one like a Cloud 9, until my tailbone stopped hurting. In the process, I did some research and found my seat and handlebars needed some adjusting. Once I got that sorted out, I put the original seat back on. Then added a Redshift seat post. Point is, you may find you don’t need as soft a seat eventually, once you get acclimatized. Especially if you add a suspension post- they’re great.

I had a sore butt for a couple of weeks after I got my new bike- Haden’t been riding for years. So I switched the saddle that came with my bike out for a more plush one like a Cloud 9, until my tailbone stopped hurting. In the process, I did some research and found my seat and handlebars needed some adjusting. Once I got that sorted out, I put the original seat back on. Then added a Redshift seat post. Point is, you may find you don’t need as soft a seat eventually, once you get acclimatized. Especially if you add a suspension post- they’re great.
Yep, takes your butt a couple of weeks to adjust.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

So I guess I should buy the Suntour in the 31.6mm size? Would the 400mm long version work with an XP Step Through? This is what I plan on buying:

Been on this forum for just a coupe of days and already saved me $75 over the cost of the Thudbuster I was planning to buy. What a great forum :)

Also, take a look at the Satori Animaris suspension seat post... excellent quality and a great value.

The 31.6 mm is back-ordered... you could use the 30.9 mm with an adapter sleeve. Good luck! ;)

1599933102366.png

Last edited:
Also, take a look at the Satori Animaris suspension seat post... excellent quality and a great value.

The 31.6 mm is back-ordered... you could use the 30.9 mm with an adapter sleeve. Good luck. ;)

View attachment 65173
I've had the Animaris for about 3 weeks and like it a lot. For my 210lbs, it works fine on my front-only suspension eMTB. I had to use a Cane Creek 30.2 shim with the 27.2 size Satori--fit my eAhora XC100 perfectly. At $59, a real bargain compared to the expensive Redshift, etc., suspension seat posts.

The seat is have is a Selle Royal Touring--about 11 inches wide to accomodate my wide sit bones.

Do you have this in your bike? Any reason this would be better over the Suntour?

My guess is they would be comparable. I ordered the Satori that was more like an up and down shock absorber and it was garbage. Glorified pogo stick that did not offer any comfort. Stick with the suspension posts that work more horizontally as opposed to vertically if that makes sense...

My guess is they would be comparable. I ordered the Satori that was more like an up and down shock absorber and it was garbage. Glorified pogo stick that did not offer any comfort. Stick with the suspension posts that work more horizontally as opposed to vertically if that makes sense...

Yeah it seems the best ones are engineered to move a bit diagonally and not just up and down.

My guess is they would be comparable. I ordered the Satori that was more like an up and down shock absorber and it was garbage.
Glorified pogo stick that did not offer any comfort. Stick with the suspension posts that work more horizontally as opposed to vertically if that makes sense...

I think you may be confusing the vertical spring post design with the better horizontal four-bar link parallelogram design. ;)

I think you may be confusing the vertical spring post design with the better horizontal four-bar link parallelogram design. ;)

Yes, I don't think I'm confusing it, but instead I purchased the Satori shock style-not the model you have, and it was horrible. My Suntour is similar to yours there in the picture. I tried to get away spending 35 bucks and got a rock hard pogo stick. I think my current Suntour moves similar to your Satori...

Yes, I don't think I'm confusing it, but instead I purchased the Satori shock style-not the model you have, and it was horrible.
My Suntour is similar to yours there in the picture. I tried to get away spending 35 bucks and got a rock hard pogo stick. I think my current Suntour moves similar to your Satori...

To clarify, we are in agreement that the pogo stick style shocks are garbage and should be avoided. ;)

I'm recommending the superior four-bar link parallelogram design... the Satori Animaris is better quality and half the price of the Suntour. I have tried both.

To clarify, we are in agreement that the pogo stick style shocks are garbage and should be avoided. ;)

I'm recommending the superior four-bar link parallelogram design... the Satori Animaris is better quality and half the price of the Suntour. I have tried both.

Then I buy Animaris next. I only paid 75 bucks including shipping for my last Suntour from Aliexpress...

Back