What do people do about tire punctures?

PrimalDoc

Just got my first eBike, with the XP. As a long-time rider, I can't imagine going out on a long ride without the ability to handle a punctured tire. I will often be riding in remote areas without cellular service, so could get stranded with no way to get to a town, if the bike breaks down. I know that there is supposed to be a puncture-resistant barrier under these tires, but punctures can still happen. Are people carrying a spare tube, tire irons, pump, and a wrench to take off the wheels (wish they came with quick release skewers)? Also, I see that the power cable for the motor goes in through the rear nut and gear freewheel, so how to remove the rear wheel?

I believe in the Boy Scouts' motto "Be prepared". I carry four tubes (2 different size wheels), tire irons, pump, CO2 inflator, wrenches. Since switching to Schwalbe Marathon tires I have not had a flat.

Hello again there is a wire that goes into the axle and there is a plug that attaches that you can pull apart within a couple of inches of it. If you have to change the tube or repair the tube do it on the bike...there are videos on you tube on how to do it..

Hello again there is a wire that goes into the axle and there is a plug that attaches that you can pull apart within a couple of inches of it. If you have to change the tube or repair the tube do it on the bike...there are videos on you tube on how to do it..
Thanks, I'll go search for those :)

Just got my first eBike, with the XP. As a long-time rider, I can't imagine going out on a long ride without the ability to handle a punctured tire. I will often be riding in remote areas without cellular service, so could get stranded with no way to get to a town, if the bike breaks down. I know that there is supposed to be a puncture-resistant barrier under these tires, but punctures can still happen. Are people carrying a spare tube, tire irons, pump, and a wrench to take off the wheels (wish they came with quick release skewers)? Also, I see that the power cable for the motor goes in through the rear nut and gear freewheel, so how to remove the rear wheel?
Carry everything necessary to repair any flat. To be sure you know what to do and what to carry, do a trial repair at home. Take wheels off, remove the inner tubes and reinstall. Should take 15 or 20 minutes per tire. It's not difficult and time well spent.

Carry everything necessary to repair any flat. To be sure you know what to do and what to carry, do a trial repair at home. Take wheels off, remove the inner tubes and reinstall. Should take 15 or 20 minutes per tire. It's not difficult and time well spent.
Thanks for the reply. I've done it many times on my road and mountain bikes, but was just a bit confused as to what to do with the electric motor cable. I now see the disconnect port, and realize that the end of that cable stays attached and goes through the axle.

I would suggest not taking the back wheel off unless you absolutely have to including a trial run it's way more difficult than you think and a very tight fit. You're better off learning how to fix a flat tire by repairing the tube. You can do this without removing the wheel and it can be done on the side of the road

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Mr. Tuffy tire liners. I've put many miles on my current bike without a flat. I ordered some for my XP as well. These are for 26-29" tires, but I'm sure they can be trimmed down a bit. They're designed to have some overlap anyway.

Fat Bike Tire Tube Protectors - Mr. Tuffy 3XL (Fits: 26"/29" X 3.1"-4")
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U0FP8ZW/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_uXqIDbZYC6PTK via @amazon
You do not need them the bike comes with them they're very thick liners.one of the other members of this forum ordered liners for some reason and then discovered the ones in our bikes are actually thicker then the ones he had purchased . If you look at the website on the Lectric XP it says puncture-proof tires it's because of the liners..

Last edited:
You do not need them the bike comes with them they're very thick liners.one of the other members of this forum ordered liners for some reason and then discovered the ones in our bikes are actually thicker then the ones he had purchased . If you look at the website on the Lectric XP it says puncture-proof tires it's because of the liners..

Huh...I figured it had something to do with the material or thickness of the tire. I'll be taking the tires off later this week after I get my bike to check it out. I guess I'll see at that point. I wanted to at least check the rim tape to make sure the spokes don't contact the tube.

Huh...I figured it had something to do with the material or thickness of the tire. I'll be taking the tires off later this week after I get my bike to check it out. I guess I'll see at that point. I wanted to at least check the rim tape to make sure the spokes don't contact the tube.
if you look in this forum there's all sorts of info about the people that have discovered how thick the liners are on these bikes. I would suggest that you don't take the tires apart unless you have to you'll also see that it's a very tight fit putting them back on and you will regret it unless you really need to take the tires off. as noted in this forum in more places than one the frame is extremely tight and it takes a lot to spread it to get the rim and tire back on.

Yup, I did see that. I found the info on the tires below.

https://www.csttires.com/us/tire/bft-c1752/
"Exceptional Puncture Safety offers an added layer of proprietary rubberized poly-fiber material between the tread and the casing. The tight weave of this lightweight, puncture-resistant layer prevents foreign objects from penetrating the casing and damaging the tube."

Sounds like it might be easier to simply call a taxi and have the LBS change the flat for you. That is what I plan to do. I carry a small pump but only to lend to roadies with flats that I encounter. Oops I forgot you said you will be in no-cell zones. Never mind.

Last edited:
ahem....POEM: I wish that I shall never see .......a punctured tire owned by me....but if I do I shall scurry ....to call an Uber in a hurry.......for one must try to keep one's cool..... when far from home with no bike tool ..........If Uber fails and taxis too.....just clear your head like I do..... and walk until your legs feel rubbery ....then toss the bike into a shrubbery!

Last edited:
Back