What are your cold weather ebike limits?

I have been winter biking in colorado for over 20 years so I have all the gear from multiple winter sports including goggles and balaclavas. I have ridden down to 10F. I have skied down to -10F in blizzards and still have frostbite marks/scars on my face where I left just a sliver of skin uncovered.

That being said, these days my lower limit is 20F. Anything lower requires covering my face and fogging of glasses then becomes a problem. Goggles just dont work for me(for cycling) and I dont like the feeling of balaclavas (I have several) while cycling. Its all doable but in the end, there are just some days where you should do something else 😁

I do question anything lower than 32F these days, luckily out here if the wind picks up from the mountains (chinook winds) which is common in the winter, the temperature can and does rise sometimes dramatically. Last year, one one instance it was 20F all day and then about 11pm, the chinooks kicked in and it was in the 50s so I suited up and went for a ride.

There might be a stretch in the heart of winter where I dont ride for a week or two. Other than that usually 5+ days per week.

Last edited:
Today's ride started out in sunshine and only +1C. Same gear and it was working well.

View attachment 71752

At about the 1:15 mark, a mist came in and the solar heating disapppeared, and it got rather cool. It dropped to about -7C and a wind from the North shall we say, "freshened". I'm guessingthat the windchill was likely around -11C or so. I was carrying a 5th layer and skiingglives so stopped and put the jacket and gloves on.

View attachment 71751

Much better!

Face was cold however, so I need to dig through some storage and see if I can find a balaclava. Also, i think I'll start packing some wind pants that can be thrown on for conditions like that. Goggles maybe in order tooaseven with the wrap around sunglasses, my eyes were starting to blur and that's not the best when trying to focus on terrain and surface conditions.

Hiking boots on feet were OK, but i think its time to upgrade the socks for anything coldr than -4C.
I am a wimp, but there are some hardy souls here. See @J.R. 's thread..
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/what-was-the-coldest-ride-of-your-life.26692/

Looks like we are under a snowfall warning tonight with some areas receiving 10-15 cm (4"-6"). Expecting a high tomorrow of -11C. I can deal with the cold but the snow makes it hard to get around on a bike. :mad:
Screenshot_2020-11-18 Red Deer, Alberta 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network.jpgScreenshot_2020-11-18 Alerts Red Deer, Alberta City of Red Deer - The Weather Network.jpg

I’m planning a ride tomorrow as we’re going to be in the 60s and hopefully the wind will be under 20 mph!

i think -8 celsius is the coldest i have ridden, im sure i could do colder, you can always buy more gear to handle the cold but ice and snow are a different story

I have 10" tires on my highly modified URB-E. I will ride down to 15 degrees fahrenheit, and 4 inches of snow or less :)

Looks like we are under a snowfall warning tonight with some areas receiving 10-15 cm (4"-6"). Expecting a high tomorrow of -11C. I can deal with the cold but the snow makes it hard to get around on a bike. :mad:
View attachment 71799View attachment 71798
The forecast for next Tuesday is +9 and Sunday and Monday look ok too. We'll see, but it would be nice if it's warm for a bit. @LouLouLePew has a bike that should be ready by then he hopes. We've ridden together in nicer weather (beer patio weather) and with his new Giant Explore E+1 Pro, he'll be itching to get some rides in when the weather permits.

quick question guys,
does any of u wear a full face helmet like bell bullitt kind of lids???
cause i m thinking of getting one,
my last ride on my scoot was so cold i had to retreat half way, and i was wearing my tripple8 lid plus my series magne mask and my glasses.
i usually ride late night,
temps on my last ride was around mid 30's.

Why don't our ebikes come with USB ports for electric vests, socks, and gloves anyway? Or heated seats? 🥶
Or heated handlebars, as are available on most snowmobiles and many motorcycles?

Up here in the mountains, it made it down to single digits Fahrenheit last night and its still below freezing. We've had snow showers and freezing rain for three days, so I've been missing my exercise, in part because my ebike is leaning against my stationary bike in the basement and in part because I won't ride if there is even a slight chance of slipping and sliding on ice or snow. I've gone down hard on my bike and motor cycle and don't ever want to experience that again, particularly as I'm older and more fragile. From my many years of snowshoeing, winter mountaineering, and xc skiing I've got the warm cloths and the love of winter recreation. So if it makes it above freezing this afternoon, I'm going to give it a try.

Last edited:
The forecast for next Tuesday is +9 and Sunday and Monday look ok too. We'll see, but it would be nice if it's warm for a bit. @LouLouLePew has a bike that should be ready by then he hopes. We've ridden together in nicer weather (beer patio weather) and with his new Giant Explore E+1 Pro, he'll be itching to get some rides in when the weather permits.
Another -20C windchill morning and woke up to this. VVV Think that I’ll skip today’s ride and clean the bike instead after another round of shoveling naturally. Next week looks more encouraging with clear skies. What’s the situation like down there?
IMG_20201119_1034197.jpg

Got any pictures??
i use a cheapo Zuhumi!
when its freezing i dont care how cool i look lol,when its below 35 ill ad an additional smaller tummy burner to cover the area that the
Zuhuni misses, my bikes use reention dorado packs, they are huge so depending on your bike you may only need one. you can also stretch one to cover the whole battery but you get less wraps this way

Another -20C windchill morning and woke up to this. VVV Think that I’ll skip today’s ride and clean the bike instead after another round of shoveling naturally. Next week looks more encouraging with clear skies. What’s the situation like down there?
View attachment 71850
Snowy and cold at -12. Went shopping instead and picked up a balaclava and goggles ala Stefan. Also picked up another saddle to tryout. A WTB Koda - I'd tried a Volt in medium and it was close, so am trying a wide Koda.

Back