What are your cold weather ebike limits?

A friend of mine has a spotting scope set up in his cabin aimed at a nest on the the opposite shore. The nest seemed to be about the size of a large SUV when I saw it from a boat.
Yep, eagles nests are quite big, guestimating about 4 to 6 feet long on that one. Deep, as well. I can only spot the heads of the chicks, they are so deep.

Back on topic sorta. What about an insulated cover for the battery in very cold weather? I think @Stefan Mikes uses one. Anyone other hardy souls or gadget geeks do anything about keeping the battery up?

Thanks so much, Art! That eagle was photographed in what is called the Abbott Marsh, Crosswicks Creek, Bordentown, New Jersey. There is a large eagles nest built on a tree within the marsh, a good ways away from the Delaware and Raritan Canal towpath where I snapped the shot from using my old reliable 6mp Kodak camera. The New Jersey Transit RiverLine light rail tracks are opposite me. The D&R canal splits the towpath and railroad line.

Each winter when the leaves are gone, people will come with their binocs and long distance camera lenses and photograph the goings on within the nest, which has been an active one every year I've been riding this canal towpath. Here are a few more pics. The first shot was taken in Dec of 2017. Second pic is from Nov 2018, showing a close up of the nest. Shots 3 and 4, again, Nov 2018. #5 is from Jan 2019. The last two are from February, 2020. Every winter, they have chicks that I can often spot sticking their heads up out of the nest. The nest is in a great spot, isolated and in an area with enough small wildlife and fish to keep the young ones well fed.
I spent two years trying to document baldies from time to time near the Columbia river in the mid-eighties and that included blinds. I was mostly shooting video and was rarely successful. I was trying to get VERY close for full height shots but didn’t have that long a lens. I had much better luck working with government biologists who were capturing/researching Swainson hawks. Sadly, I was working on a video-only project so couldn’t set up still equipment or I would’ve had more choices in lenses.

I spent two years trying to document baldies from time to time near the Columbia river in the mid-eighties and that included blinds. I was mostly shooting video and was rarely successful. I was trying to get VERY close for full height shots but didn’t have that long a lens. I had much better luck working with government biologists who were capturing/researching Swainson hawks. Sadly, I was working on a video-only project so couldn’t set up still equipment or I would’ve had more choices in lenses.
My old service, the USCG, has their world class motor lifeboat training school out there on the mouth of the Columbia.

In the mid nineties, I was sent to Keokuk, Iowa on the Mississippi River, for a 3 year run on the river buoy tender homeported there. Just above us was Lock and Dam 19, the largest and highest dam on the Mississippi. So, in the dead of winter, when temps got down to 15 below zero, the only real open water path on the now ice-clogged Mississippi was south of the dam and going down a bit futher from where we were moored in our winter berth.

Each winter, those birds were back by the dozens over on the Illinois side of the river, perched in the trees there; always but always looking out towards the river for a meal. The dam had working turbines that made electricity, so between the fish going through the turbines and getting injured and the drop of the dam itself, it was a beautiful thing to have witnessed. On the grounds of our moorings, two trees at the river bank could always be counted on to have a few eagles on them. They'd fly out to the open water, swoop down, catch a fish, then bring it back to the tree and eat it. At the base of the tree were all kinds of fish skeletons. I've got a video I made on VHS of these birds doing their thing, near sunset. At the setting of the sun, they always left those trees and flew off to who knows where. But the next day, they were always back. Ice out on the river, they were gone until the following winter.....

Back on topic sorta. What about an insulated cover for the battery in very cold weather? I think @Stefan Mikes uses one. Anyone other hardy souls or gadget geeks do anything about keeping the battery up?
I just bought two of these.
I’m using them for the openings when transporting the ebikes on a car rack but they can also cover the installed battery.

I took the gloves off to take a photo in windy conditions by the lake and within minutes my fingers were cold. Put them back in the gloves and they were soon fine again. Bring on the snow... it’s coming soon.
Thanks for the reminder. Not sure what type of device you use to take pics but I've actually resumed my search for a pair of thin enough glove liners that are touch screen compatible for moments just like this.

I just bought two of these.
I’m using them for the openings when transporting the ebikes on a car rack but they can also cover the installed battery.
Those are less expensive than I expected, TBH. Worth while just to keep water and crap out of the battery compartment when the bikes are on the hitch rack.

Those are less expensive than I expected, TBH. Worth while just to keep water and crap out of the battery compartment when the bikes are on the hitch rack.
I never leave my battery in place when it's on the hitch rack.
If it's crappy out, I'll do this as outlined in another thread.

But sitting next to me in my office is an old wetsuit with a ripped out neck that I'm going to convert into a winter cover to keep battery warmer when riding.
I will get to it eventually and will post pictures when I'm done.
It's only a Shorty and is likely only a 2mm at that, but it's just going to be an experiment.

I use an Akku Cover to protect my Giant battery that has no skid-plate.
Overall, the idea of using the neoprene mat in the winter is good. Assume your battery was at room temperature at the beginning of the ride and you used the mat. The battery emits heat while you ride; when it is wrapped in the mat, it might still be far warmer than the ambient.

Example: Ride at 5 C, Turbo mode, battery uncovered; final temperature of 23 C after 23 minutes of ride. It might be warmer with the mat but I never tested that.

I was going to do a test ride today with a few adjustments from normal fair weather riding, but the fickle weather has struck! Forecast had been for +7 but current conditions are -4C with freezing fog. Did I mention it snowed again last night? 😕

It's not the temperature or the visibility, but the icy surfaces that will keep me indoors. I'll give it a few hours to improve and if not, I guess it's stationary bike and some TV.

Rode my bike yesterday in about 51°f which isn't too bad, except it was quite windy. Rode about 35 miles and used a lot more of pas then I did on a couple previous rides to get through the wind. Used about 55% of my battery which is about the same I used last week on a 50 mile ride. Would have never even attempted to do the same ride yesterday on my analog bike due to the wind ..

The fog lifted and I got a 19km ride in up on Nose Hill. It fluctuated between -2 and +2C and my layered outfit worked just great. Am going to have to carry more stuff to deal with the inevitable running nose, and I think I'll swap the water bottle for a flask of hot chocolate or tea. I best get to work on the battery wrap too!

The fog lifted and I got a 19km ride in up on Nose Hill. It fluctuated between -2 and +2C and my layered outfit worked just great. Am going to have to carry more stuff to deal with the inevitable running nose, and I think I'll swap the water bottle for a flask of hot chocolate or tea. I best get to work on the battery wrap too!
I use sweat wrist bands like tennis players use - great for a runny nose

Today's ride started out in sunshine and only +1C. Same gear and it was working well.

20201118_114311.jpg

At about the 1:15 mark, a mist came in and the solar heating disapppeared, and it got rather cool. It dropped to about -7C and a wind from the North shall we say, "freshened". I'm guessingthat the windchill was likely around -11C or so. I was carrying a 5th layer and skiingglives so stopped and put the jacket and gloves on.

20201118_122345.jpg

Much better!

Face was cold however, so I need to dig through some storage and see if I can find a balaclava. Also, i think I'll start packing some wind pants that can be thrown on for conditions like that. Goggles maybe in order tooaseven with the wrap around sunglasses, my eyes were starting to blur and that's not the best when trying to focus on terrain and surface conditions.

Hiking boots on feet were OK, but i think its time to upgrade the socks for anything coldr than -4C.

Today's ride started out in sunshine and only +1C. Same gear and it was working well.

View attachment 71752

At about the 1:15 mark, a mist came in and the solar heating disapppeared, and it got rather cool. It dropped to about -7C and a wind from the North shall we say, "freshened". I'm guessingthat the windchill was likely around -11C or so. I was carrying a 5th layer and skiingglives so stopped and put the jacket and gloves on.

View attachment 71751

Much better!

Face was cold however, so I need to dig through some storage and see if I can find a balaclava. Also, i think I'll start packing some wind pants that can be thrown on for conditions like that. Goggles maybe in order tooaseven with the wrap around sunglasses, my eyes were starting to blur and that's not the best when trying to focus on terrain and surface conditions.

Hiking boots on feet were OK, but i think its time to upgrade the socks for anything coldr than -4C.
Brrr.🥶

I think I am finding my "cold weather e-bike limit".
It's me and my arthritic body.
No crashes and nothing super hard, but two days straight of 19km rides and my joints are complaining - especially the shoulders and hands.

With the constant "little bumps" of hardpacked snow, I'm being shaken pretty good.
I've consciously tried to ride "loose" and that's helped but pretty sore this evening. I guess it's that O.L.D. thing again.

Back