What a arrogant jerk

From Day 1, you can tell the guy felt like a second-class citizen for having to leave the comfort of his automobile to try out an ebike: "Already, I can see three key e-bike demographics: seekers of low-cost transportation, would-be cyclists who don't have the required lung capacity and car drivers who have lost their licences to the breathalyzer."
Let's hope his viewpoint is not widely accepted.

From Day 1, you can tell the guy felt like a second-class citizen for having to leave the comfort of his automobile to try out an ebike: "Already, I can see three key e-bike demographics: seekers of low-cost transportation, would-be cyclists who don't have the required lung capacity and car drivers who have lost their licences to the breathalyzer."
Let's hope his viewpoint is not widely accepted.

@PCDoctorUSA the more I read the reder my face got.

...."I'm amazed at how many e-bikes there are on the road. My friend, Craig Offman, has done some research on the rise of e-bikes and has learned that e-bikes are most popular with people in the 50-64 age bracket. This corresponds with my observations. Many of the riders look like they belong to an older, less-than-affluent demographic. "

What a complete tosser. Plus during day 7, it's clear he's also a snowflake.

Crappy thread title.

I don't see anything objectionable here. He's not calling ebikers low status, he's saying thats how society sees them.

Except that It's not an ebike.

Ebikes are cheap. That's a good thing. I don't care if people know I spend 10x less than they do. I'll gladly tell them :).

Crappy thread title.

I don't see anything objectionable here. He's not calling ebikers low status, he's saying thats how society sees them.

I'm not sure how he could be any clearer that these are his views and his "observations". I guess we're all just financially bankrupt, overweight, out of DUI rehab ebikers. Seems to be me that there would be few, if any, of that demographic, buying ebikes.

I think at times he was just trying to be witty without having any skill in that area.

I'm not sure how he could be any clearer that these are his views and his "observations". I guess we're all just financially bankrupt, overweight, out of DUI rehab ebikers. Seems to be me that there would be few, if any, of that demographic, buying ebikes.

I think at times he was just trying to be witty without having any skill in that area.

Well he is being optimistic. Have to give him that.

There's also the entry "UPDATED MAY 12, 2018", but I don't see an "Update" section to the article. Were any updates made to the article itself? What am I missing? I did enjoy reading the single user comment left a year ago.

I liked the writing. Metro Toronto in the summer is a fine place to be, and I was impressed by the biking infrastructure when I was there exactly a year ago. I suspect there's a lot of bike theft. When he says ebikes are banned from bike paths, I hope he means the e-scooters.

I'm surprised about one detail in that article. He claims that you can get around DUI laws by operating an e-scooter. I don't know about Ontario but in most states and provinces the DUI laws are written in such a way that if you are operating any vehicle on a public roadway while intoxicated it is the same crime. It doesn't matter if it is a semi-truck, SUV, Tesla, bicycle, golf cart, skateboard, snowmobile, or a I guess roller skates.

If he was riding a scooter with a contraption that looked like this,

1527856047829.png

then it made sense.

Not only is this guy an arrogant twit, he was completely wrong. People have been arrested and charged for DWI in Ontario for driving a Zamboni and a motorized Lay-Z-Boy chair. I would presume then that you could be charged for driving an electric scooter as well.

Last edited:
Regarding "getting around the DUI laws": A lot of guys around here buy those cheap gas-powered mopeds after their driver's license was taken for DUI. They have to be registered and insured, but you don't need an operator's license to ride it on the road. Maybe that's what he meant by "getting around the DUI laws." But who knows.

Those mopeds are so common for that purpose here in NC that many of us refer to them as "drunk-cycles." Ha ha.

There's also the entry "UPDATED MAY 12, 2018", but I don't see an "Update" section to the article. Were any updates made to the article itself?
I think - this: "There are two types of e-bikes in the showroom – lightweight, bicycle-style machines and large "e-scooters" that look like Vespas made in a Chinese knock-off factory".
In 2016 the entire sentence was "They look like Vespas made in a Chinese knock-off factory". There was no mention of "lightweight bicycle-style machines" or "e-scooters" because he never saw any e-bike.

The store was selling only e-scooters. "The most expensive e-bike in the store costs $2,000". This is CAD$, so make it US$1,500. In 2014 MAXIMUM $1,500 was way to cheap for an e-bike even in the US, not to mention Canada.

He didn't know anything about ebikes - not a big deal, and he put his ignorance in print for everybody to see - which isn't a big deal, either. But his remarks on old, poor and drunk as the key e-bike demographics apparently caused hundreds of people to lose patience and email him, explaining him his ignorance. So he edited the article.

Back