Watt Wagon direct competitors?

Gee_Whiz

So I came across these bikes in the most roundabout way.. while searching for information on Reddit about ebikes in general, and what a "Rohloff" hub is when someone mentioned them in a particular post lol. The owner of Watt Wagon appears to be a regular reddit poster and some of his comments on ebikes just drew me to this line.. The guy's approach to biking just seems incredibly impassioned, analytical, and open to feedback and constructive criticism. There was a thread on endless sphere, where he handled a forum heckler in the most professional and resolute manner when they launched there last year. How I would want the commuter pro configured is about 1000$ out of my budget right now, but I would really like to pick one up if things align.

My questions for those that picked up a Watt Wagon:

Why this line vs other high-end bikes such as the Riese and Muller?
With no reviews that I could source, even here on EBR.. what drew you to them?
It appears to be a small shop currently; How has the support been thus far on any issues experienced?
How long is an expected delivery of the bike?
Does your bike look as refined in person as they do in images(perspective i know, but im still curious)
How is the ride? harsh, soft?
Any dealbreakers thus far?
Has anyone ridden their top-end 2k+ torque motor?
And does anyone have any pics of the upcoming commuter pro model!

Thanks!

So I came across these bikes in the most roundabout way.. while searching for information on Reddit about ebikes in general, and what a "Rohloff" hub is when someone mentioned them in a particular post lol. The owner of Watt Wagon appears to be a regular reddit poster and some of his comments on ebikes just drew me to this line.. The guy's approach to biking just seems incredibly impassioned, analytical, and open to feedback and constructive criticism. There was a thread on endless sphere, where he handled a forum heckler in the most professional and resolute manner when they launched there last year. How I would want the commuter pro configured is about 1000$ out of my budget right now, but I would really like to pick one up if things align.

With no reviews that I could source, even here on EBR.. what drew you to them?
It appears to be a small shop currently; How has the support been thus far on any issues experienced?
How long is an expected delivery of the bike?
Does your bike look as refined in person as they do in images(perspective i know, but im still curious)
How is the ride? harsh, soft?
Any dealbreakers thus far?
Has anyone ridden their top-end 2k+ torque motor?
And does anyone have any pics of the upcoming commuter pro model!

Thanks!

If you really want to know you should go to the Watt wagon forum and read the whole thing. :)

^ I dont either, but if the post or presence is public-facing, ill check it out. Appreciate the info!

Reactions: Ayl

1. Why this line vs other high-end bikes such as the Riese and Muller?
  2. With no reviews that I could source, even here on EBR.. what drew you to them?
  3. It appears to be a small shop currently; How has the support been thus far on any issues experienced?
  4. How long is an expected delivery of the bike?
  5. Does your bike look as refined in person as they do in images(perspective i know, but im still curious)
  6. How is the ride? harsh, soft?
  7. Any dealbreakers thus far?
  8. Has anyone ridden their top-end 2k+ torque motor?
  9. And does anyone have any pics of the upcoming commuter pro model!

Thanks!

1. For me its motor first. The new controller is a big bonus
2. On the forum there are a lot of real reviews, and feedback. That was huge. The big thing is consistency in feedback - almost always positive. You are right, @pushkar does take constructive feedback and continually improves. That is a big part.
3. I am sure they are amsll shop - i believe one of the videos was from his garage / outdoor! lol. Support has been excellent, and personal. My fear is scaling it as he grows but that is a good problem to have. Fortunately you will notice a lot of other users / riders have started commenting on posts here so that is a great sign that support can scale in some way.
4. I believe the UC Pro has been pushed out due to motor delays. Someone went to pick up their bike a couple of weeks after their order - so that seems reasonable.
5. The bike looks exactly like it is in the pictures atleast for the titanium one. We havent seen the new carbon versions yet.
6. Ride is smooth - i want to get the full suspension he is building eventually but the hard tail is very capable and very smooth so far. I would say it is a little on the softer side for me - I had to re-adjust the front suspension to have less travel (i think it was set to 160, i prefer 140)
7. There are improvements on the titanium version... wiring could be better, rear rack bolts become loose but I read that bikes now now ships bikes with extra tube of blue loctite, and sometimes the DPC 18 display goes wonky (that is a bafang problem, but wish that could be fixed).
8. I have the 2300W motor. Incredible.
9. Check the forum please.. https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ecal-lights-etc-will-be-done-in-boston.36435/ and https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ecal-lights-etc-will-be-done-in-boston.36189/ You will see more stuff there.

Overall, I prefer dealing with someone local - you can call them - email them and text them. Very responsive.... and at that price, it is abreath of fresh air for me.

I know my next ebike will be from them if the support continues to rock.

Oh I do have one other question that I couldn't find elsewhere thus far. Are the tires that come with the commuter Pro deemed best for on and off-road or mainly street? And if so, is it advised to stick with those tires?

Oh I do have one other question that I couldn't find elsewhere thus far. Are the tires that come with the commuter Pro deemed best for on and off-road or mainly street? And if so, is it advised to stick with those tires?
IMO they are more for paved roads / street. You can light (like very very light) off road.

The crosstour has more offroad + fat tire option.

1. For me its motor first. The new controller is a big bonus
2. On the forum there are a lot of real reviews, and feedback. That was huge. The big thing is consistency in feedback - almost always positive. You are right, @pushkar does take constructive feedback and continually improves. That is a big part.
3. I am sure they are amsll shop - i believe one of the videos was from his garage / outdoor! lol. Support has been excellent, and personal. My fear is scaling it as he grows but that is a good problem to have. Fortunately you will notice a lot of other users / riders have started commenting on posts here so that is a great sign that support can scale in some way.
4. I believe the UC Pro has been pushed out due to motor delays. Someone went to pick up their bike a couple of weeks after their order - so that seems reasonable.
5. The bike looks exactly like it is in the pictures atleast for the titanium one. We havent seen the new carbon versions yet.
6. Ride is smooth - i want to get the full suspension he is building eventually but the hard tail is very capable and very smooth so far. I would say it is a little on the softer side for me - I had to re-adjust the front suspension to have less travel (i think it was set to 160, i prefer 140)
7. There are improvements on the titanium version... wiring could be better, rear rack bolts become loose but I read that bikes now now ships bikes with extra tube of blue loctite, and sometimes the DPC 18 display goes wonky (that is a bafang problem, but wish that could be fixed).
8. I have the 2300W motor. Incredible.
9. Check the forum please.. https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ecal-lights-etc-will-be-done-in-boston.36435/ and https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ecal-lights-etc-will-be-done-in-boston.36189/ You will see more stuff there.

Overall, I prefer dealing with someone local - you can call them - email them and text them. Very responsive.... and at that price, it is abreath of fresh air for me.

I know my next ebike will be from them if the support continues to rock.

This was amazingly informative.. thank you so much for taking the time to respond! And I didnt realize he posted here too; this bike fits the exact criteria I posted yesterday on the "help me find a bike" sub, and noone even made the suggestion.. so I'm glad I happened upon it anyway!

This was amazingly informative.. thank you so much for taking the time to respond! And I didnt realize he posted here too; this bike fits the exact criteria I posted yesterday on the "help me find a bike" sub, and noone even made the suggestion.. so I'm glad I happened upon it anyway!

Most folks probably don't think a post like 'help me find a bike' is someone looking for really high end type bike would be my guess.

@Gee_Whiz ,

Titanium frame, and the Bafang Ultra. Also the Riese Muller and other high end bikes tend to not have a throttle and their engines are governed.

With no reviews that I could source, even here on EBR.. what drew you to them? I reached out to Pushkar with a question, and his responsiveness and answers got me to pull the trigger.

It appears to be a small shop currently; How has the support been thus far on any issues experienced? Nothing short of Superior.

How long is an expected delivery of the bike? Please check with Pushkar. My UC took a couple of weeks since my frame was modified.

Does your bike look as refined in person as they do in images(perspective i know, but im still curious). Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder, and my WW Ultimate Commuter is a Sexy Beast.

How is the ride? harsh, soft? Compared to my previous home brew, it's soft and easy.

Any dealbreakers thus far? One word, one syllable, "nope."

Has anyone ridden their top-end 2k+ torque motor? Yes, I've ugraded my motor to 2k watts and new controller. I refuse to go back to anything less.

And does anyone have any pics of the upcoming commuter pro model! I don't. :-(

I think I have the same tires, and they're definitely great for on road. I have taken an occasional detour thru dirt roads, and trails without any problems.

In addition to Ayl's post above ... There are people talking about their experiences with the upgraded motor and controller peppered through the posts on this forum.

Most folks probably don't think a post like 'help me find a bike' is someone looking for really high end type bike would be my guess.

Honestly, I'm not either.. but figuring out a range and finding what you deem value within that range is important and there seems to be care and thoughtfulness put behind this product from everything I'm reading in this Sub. It's just really impressive tbh and I would have no problem supporting a vendor whose values appear to clearly mirror his customer bases.

In addition to Ayl's post above ... There are people talking about their experiences with the upgraded motor and controller peppered through the posts on this forum.

Thanks, yeah reading a ton of threads now; I didnt know there was all this info nestled into the forums here. The way it presents on the phone browser makes it look kinda desolate

Thanks, yeah reading a ton of threads now; I didnt know there was all this info nestled into the forums here. The way it presents on the phone browser makes it look kinda desolate

Yeah. I almost always peruse this site on my Mac. Check out some of the photo and route posts. Some great photography. I browse by 'recent activity' mostly and see just about all that goes on here. This is probably due to my severe jonseing while waiting for my ebike delivery. 😄

Back