Watt Wagons CrossTour Reviews

RickyBikes

Region
USA
The Watt Wagons CrossTour is a premium hybrid touring eBike starting at $5,599.00 on their website. Based out of Massachusetts, from founder Pushkar Phatak, Watt Wagons is known for their vast customizable options. The stock bikes are expensive as is, and the upgrades are not necessarily cheap, but you can get as personalized a bike as you like with Watt Wagons. The CrossTour is available in three frame sizes (and one custom frame option for an additional fee) and a custom paint job. It utilizes a Bafang mid-drive motor and quality components. Almost every aspect of this bike can be upgraded or customized. From brakes, rotors, lights, seat and handlebars to tires, motor and battery. It really is as personalized as you like. This bike starts as a Class-3 eBike, meaning 750w motor, up to 28mph with pedal assist. With the customizable options (like the 2,300W motor option, for example) this bike quickly falls into a Class-4 legal gray area. Here’s Watt Wagons’ official website http://www.wattwagons.com and I’d love to hear your thoughts below, especially if you own the CrossTour or plan to buy one!

While I haven't reviewed this electric bike myself, I have covered similar E-Bikes and I wanted to provide some insights and open things up for your feedback. I hope providing several sources, with varying perspectives, allows everyone to come to their own conclusions. Sometimes short reviews and those created by shops only cover the good aspects and can come off like a commercial, so I've tried to be neutral and objective with these insights:

Pros – things that stand out as good:

• The flexibility in choosing your parts is awesome. Watt Wagons lets you pick where you want to add accessories and upgrades as you see fit. For some, the almost unlimited upgrade options could feel overwhelming, but the stock parts are solid, so you don’t have to purchase any upgrades.
  • The bike comes with a 1-year warranty, but you can purchase either a 2-year or 3-year warranty. This is a great feature to offer additional years because depending on how you ride the bike you may need more than just one year of coverge. Considering they’re e-commerce retailer, the added warranty options are a nice consolation for not having country-wide dealers and service centers.
  • If you want a bike that is powerful, this is it. It’s got a huge 160Nm of torque, and the motor size goes from 750W up to 2,300W. Considering it’s a mid-drive, that is an enormous size. I’ve only ridden class-1 mid-drives, so to have a class-3 mid-drive sounds unique and powerful.
  • I’m big on safety features for commuters. The stock headlights, taillights, bell, additional battery option, charger, etc. are definitely important if this is going to be a long range commuter. Smaller tires help in traffic, but overall cars should notice you with the quality lights.
  • The upgraded components program is nice when you spend so much on a bike. You pay a small annual fee and when upgraded components become available, you can purchase them at a discounted rate.

Cons – considerations that seem like trade-offs or negatives:

• The stock motor makes this a Class-3 eBike, but if you get any of the upgrades, legally, this is no longer an eBike, rather a low-power scooter or moped. Some folks think that bike components make the bike a bike, but unfortunately that is not the legal qualification for an eBike. If it exceeds 750W motor or exceeds 20mph on the throttle or 28mph with pedal assistance than it’s a Class-4 which is where the legal gray area comes in. Depending on the speed capability and power output on the CrossTour its limited where it can legally be ridden. Some bike trails and paths won’t allow for such powerful machines. This bike can get up to 30-50 mph. Wear a helmet, don't use this where it's not meant to be, be safe.
  • I don’t love the integration of the battery and the frame. I understand why they’ve done it the way they have; it allows for the different batteries to be replaced and this bike is more about function than form. It looks a little DIY. Trek, Riese and Mueller, Cannondale, etc., they charge premium prices and it looks like a premium machine. This does not. It looks like a less expensive bike than it is, but again, components within are good quality, it’s a mid-drive and produces a lot of power, but if I’m spending a lot of money on a bike I’d like it to look stealthier.
  • This is a hybrid bike, but it’s also billed as a commuter. I think it’s a little odd that a commuter bike uses fat tires. The 29” x 3” tires (or 27.5” x 4” upgraded tires) are not as agile as most smaller commuter tires. With a commuter I want agility and efficiency. This bike uses bigger batteries to provide better range, but the bigger the battery the heavier it will be, so added weight which will limit range.
  • Depending on the accessory/upgrade options you select, you could end up spending over $10,000.00 for a CrossTour. Although there are some nice components and some quality parts of this bike, part of the cost of premium bikes is found in the service and support provided. For an online bike, this is steep. Large companies like Trek and Giant have dealers and service centers across the country, so there’s a bit to be desired there.
  • From the drive train to the motor to the mezzer pro suspension fork, this bike does not have easily repairable parts. Considering the lack of service centers, you’ll want to make sure your local shop can work on the various components that will inevitably require maintenance.
  • If you add a throttle you will shred your carbon belt and you'll put a lot of strain on the motor. At that point you may as well just get a motorcycle.
  • The display integration leaves a little to be desired. It's big and clunky, but for a commuter that's not necessarily bad. The display itself is fine, but something smaller like what you'd find on an EMTB would make more sense here depending on your terrain.

As always, I welcome feedback and additions to these pros and cons, especially from people who have tried or own the bike. If you see other great video reviews for the Watt Wagons CrossTour, please share them and I may update this post ongoing so we can get the best perspectives and insights.

I've got a similar bike (full suspension UC Pro titanium commuter) on order. I agree with your comment about how the battery is kinda just stuck on to the frame, but with titanium there isn't much that can be done about that.

This bike uses bigger batteries to provide better range, but the bigger the battery the heavier it will be, so added weight which will limit range.
I think this is a nonsense statement. Of course overall weight will limit range. The amount of added weight for bigger batteries will boost the range considerably more than it will hinder it. Where the weight of the batteries will come into play is if you have to ride without the motor and in handling of the bike.

If you add a throttle you will shred your carbon belt and you'll put a lot of strain on the motor. At that point you may as well just get a motorcycle
Motorcycles have been using carbon belts and throttles for a long time, and their owners don't generally complain about shredded belts.

Cons – considerations that seem like trade-offs or negatives:

• The stock motor makes this a Class-3 eBike, but if you get any of the upgrades, legally, this is no longer an eBike, rather a low-power scooter or moped. Some folks think that bike components make the bike a bike, but unfortunately that is not the legal qualification for an eBike. If it exceeds 750W motor or exceeds 20mph on the throttle or 28mph with pedal assistance than it’s a Class-4 which is where the legal gray area comes in. Depending on the speed capability and power output on the CrossTour its limited where it can legally be ridden. Some bike trails and paths won’t allow for such powerful machines. This bike can get up to 30-50 mph. Wear a helmet, don't use this where it's not meant to be, be safe.
  • I don’t love the integration of the battery and the frame. I understand why they’ve done it the way they have; it allows for the different batteries to be replaced and this bike is more about function than form. It looks a little DIY. Trek, Riese and Mueller, Cannondale, etc., they charge premium prices and it looks like a premium machine. This does not. It looks like a less expensive bike than it is, but again, components within are good quality, it’s a mid-drive and produces a lot of power, but if I’m spending a lot of money on a bike I’d like it to look stealthier.
  • This is a hybrid bike, but it’s also billed as a commuter. I think it’s a little odd that a commuter bike uses fat tires. The 29” x 3” tires (or 27.5” x 4” upgraded tires) are not as agile as most smaller commuter tires. With a commuter I want agility and efficiency. This bike uses bigger batteries to provide better range, but the bigger the battery the heavier it will be, so added weight which will limit range.
  • Depending on the accessory/upgrade options you select, you could end up spending over $10,000.00 for a CrossTour. Although there are some nice components and some quality parts of this bike, part of the cost of premium bikes is found in the service and support provided. For an online bike, this is steep. Large companies like Trek and Giant have dealers and service centers across the country, so there’s a bit to be desired there.
  • From the drive train to the motor to the mezzer pro suspension fork, this bike does not have easily repairable parts. Considering the lack of service centers, you’ll want to make sure your local shop can work on the various components that will inevitably require maintenance.
  • If you add a throttle you will shred your carbon belt and you'll put a lot of strain on the motor. At that point you may as well just get a motorcycle.
  • The display integration leaves a little to be desired. It's big and clunky, but for a commuter that's not necessarily bad. The display itself is fine, but something smaller like what you'd find on an EMTB would make more sense here depending on your terrain.

As always, I welcome feedback and additions to these pros and cons, especially from people who have tried or own the bike. If you see other great video reviews for the Watt Wagons CrossTour, please share them and I may update this post ongoing so we can get the best perspectives and insights.

1. How is having options to upgrade the motor a con? Stock is class 3. So unless not having a class 1 and 2 option is a con, then this shouldn't be here. That's like saying a Corvette should only have an option to have a naturally asperated engine because anything else would be too powerful for the street.

2. The battery certainly stands out, but we're talking about a TI bike. You mention Trek, Riese, Mueller and Cannondale. Which of those manufacturers are using Titanium? I tried looking it up for an apples to apples comparison, but I couldn't find any. Can you help? If there are not, then your issue is with the use of titanium itself since it would be much more difficult to form it like carbon fiber, aluminum or steel.

3. As you said, this is a hybrid bike. Pure commuter bikes typically have thinner tires and a stiffer ride. If you want a pure commuter, then get one. There's another bike (with carbon fiber that has the form you like) for that. Are you reviewing this as a hybrid or as a commuter bike? Additionally, You did make a partially false statement. "This bike uses bigger batteries to provide better range..." The bike also uses an improved controller that helps provide better range. Further, with the amount of power this bike provides, the additional weight is meaningless. The space additional batteries (if desired) require will probably have a larger impact.

4. Please explain to me how having options to upgrade your bicycle is a con? I mean, if you get better than stock parts, you're going to pay more than stock prices. Unless you feel the price is a con. Then just say the bike and it's options are too expensive, if you believe that to be true. Not having service LBS is a separate issue and a legitimate one. Of course, you won't get this bike at this price if there are, but it is certainly a trade off.

5. Please substantiate this claim regarding shredding the belt. I've heard more concern about IGHs than the belts. What's more, throttles are again optional. So I don't understand your complaint here.

6. Display size is personal preference. I tend to agree that smaller displays are better, but not everyone feels that way.

I neither own one of these bikes nor am I a bicycle reviewer, but it sure seems to me that your review needs some work.

Sorry, I don't really like popcorn and I couldn't help myself. 🤣

3. As you said, this is a hybrid bike. Pure commuter bikes typically have thinner tires and a stiffer ride. If you want a pure commuter, then get one. There's another bike (with carbon fiber that has the form you like) for that. Are you reviewing this as a hybrid or as a commuter bike? Additionally, You did make a partially false statement. "This bike uses bigger batteries to provide better range..." The bike also uses an improved controller that helps provide better range. Further, with the amount of power this bike provides, the additional weight is meaningless. The space additional batteries (if desired) require will probably have a larger impact.
For the last four years I've been riding a fat tire (26 x 4) as a commuter bike and I'm not sure I could go back. The beauty of this style ride is I can go off road at any time and do a lot but also use the bike as my main form of transportation in the city.

1. How is having options to upgrade the motor a con? Stock is class 3. So unless not having a class 1 and 2 option is a con, then this shouldn't be here. That's like saying a Corvette should only have an option to have a naturally asperated engine because anything else would be too powerful for the street.

2. The battery certainly stands out, but we're talking about a TI bike. You mention Trek, Riese, Mueller and Cannondale. Which of those manufacturers are using Titanium? I tried looking it up for an apples to apples comparison, but I couldn't find any. Can you help? If there are not, then your issue is with the use of titanium itself since it would be much more difficult to form it like carbon fiber, aluminum or steel.

4. Please explain to me how having options to upgrade your bicycle is a con? I mean, if you get better than stock parts, you're going to pay more than stock prices. Unless you feel the price is a con. Then just say the bike and it's options are too expensive, if you believe that to be true. Not having service LBS is a separate issue and a legitimate one. Of course, you won't get this bike at this price if there are, but it is certainly a trade off.

5. Please substantiate this claim regarding shredding the belt. I've heard more concern about IGHs than the belts. What's more, throttles are again optional. So I don't understand your complaint here.

6. Display size is personal preference. I tend to agree that smaller displays are better, but not everyone feels that way.

I neither own one of these bikes nor am I a bicycle reviewer, but it sure seems to me that your review needs some work.

Sorry, I don't really like popcorn and I couldn't help myself. 🤣
I'm glad you couldn't help yourself and gave such well organized feedback... but, to clarify, this is not a review of the bike. I've rounded up actual reviews and then give considerations and positive notes that stand out. The point of these posts is to start conversations and learn about the bike together. I haven't ridden it. I haven't owned it. I'm not reviewing it.

To clarify, cons aren't complaints, merely considerations. I don't think the price is a con, but the consideration is that other companies selling premium priced bikes have dealerships and service shops across the country that make investing in a bike that price more easily maintainable. That's not a knock on Watt Wagons. That's just something for someone new to eBikes to consider.

Thanks again for your feedback. Though this isn't a review, I'll work to make my posts better.

I'm glad you couldn't help yourself and gave such well organized feedback... but, to clarify, this is not a review of the bike. I've rounded up actual reviews and then give considerations and positive notes that stand out. The point of these posts is to start conversations and learn about the bike together. I haven't ridden it. I haven't owned it. I'm not reviewing it.

To clarify, cons aren't complaints, merely considerations. I don't think the price is a con, but the consideration is that other companies selling premium priced bikes have dealerships and service shops across the country that make investing in a bike that price more easily maintainable. That's not a knock on Watt Wagons. That's just something for someone new to eBikes to consider.

Thanks again for your feedback. Though this isn't a review, I'll work to make my posts better.
I'm glad that you were able to take my feedback in stride. I think we must qualify things a bit differently. Maybe that's a source of confusion. To me, delineating the pros and cons of something is reviewing or reporting on it. Also in my mind, cons refer to the Latin "contra" which literally means: Against. So I hope you can see how I might mistake your "considerations" as being a complaint or viewed as a negative aspect.

Cheers!

I'm glad that you were able to take my feedback in stride. I think we must qualify things a bit differently. Maybe that's a source of confusion. To me, delineating the pros and cons of something is reviewing or reporting on it. Also in my mind, cons refer to the Latin "contra" which literally means: Against. So I hope you can see how I might mistake your "considerations" as being a complaint or viewed as a negative aspect.

Cheers!
Yes that is the traditional definition of "con" so I add the bit about "considerations" to point out that this is a little different. Cheers.

I’ve just about got mine dialed in .. had it a few weeks .. I’ll expound later.. For now just know in nature there are many examples of function over form.. 👍🏽😂
A75CEC0A-B870-4DE0-951A-D8680CB7338B.png

Very much looking forward to you expounding on that.

Reply I used the imagery of a duck billed Platypus because My bike is outfitted with what was available…With the understanding that any parts Pushkar had on hand were quality ..so while I may get 27.5 x 2.4 rather than 3.0 they’d be quality 2.4 s … they are. … I got the available Rohloff when Kindernays were delayed and it works well.. . took a little tinkering and an added belt snubber and some belt tensioning..but again no belly aching about a Rohloff
Overkill upgrades on forks and brakes due to supply and my “commuter” can take a 4” curb with ease and handily toss my big ass over the handle bars if I locked em up at 20 mph..
Much like the platypus some things look like they don’t belong.. my version of the CT is all externally wired and lines don’t match up very well up front .. al least not as well as any CT picture I’ve seen.. .I did get some aftermarket spiral wire organizers for “cock pit” cleanup and it looks ok But kind of like a duck bill on an beaver . i got the Magicshine battery instead of the wired light and much like the Bafang 2300 it’s way overpowered for my needs and adds more wire … again not a deal breaker but it only kinda looks like it “otter?”
Since Helios and I said Adios after a year and my ill fated brief dalliance with Hydra ( as commuter) fizzled , I feel fortunate to have this quality ride and am grateful for the service I received .. to the point of Pushkar remotely accessing my laptop on a Saturday morning to troubleshoot an Innotrace issue.. while wrangling his twins! . Need I say more?
Not perfect… but when they see me coming with the Bafang hum and the GP5s raised up like bull horns in a Magicshine halo ..I’ll ring my dime store bell ( spurcycle are back ordered) and pass on the left… thinking about my friend with the oddly webbed feet.

Last edited:
Back