Want to mount downtube battery to rear rack...

mohammed

Region
United Kingdom
Something like below but without the wood... any ideas on how I can do this?
There is the Grin bracket (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09BH3ZJJK) that I suppose I can use? But want something somewhat clean.

1674913417082.png

If you could provide a picture of the actual rack you plan to use you might get a better response?

Since there is very little stress, you could mount the battery "install plate" directly to the rear rack in most cases with two or three bolts.

platre.jpg

The battery is fixed to the plate. If your rack wiggles sideways, then you need a better rack, I carry 6 pound batteries routinely on bike racks.

The battery is fixed to the plate. If your rack wiggles sideways, then you need a better rack, I carry 6 pound batteries routinely on bike racks.
Yes my rack is tight so hopefully it will be ok, thanks Harry!

Do you think the battery will be stable? My worry is that it may rock side to side, not the actual plate but the battery itself.
If the lateral g-forces are strong enough to dislodge a properly secured rack, mounting plate, or battery, you probably won't be able to hang onto the bike anyways.
:)

It’s exactly the same one in the picture 👍
If you can mount the plate directly to the rack and still be able to slide it on and off easily then that is all you need. Just fasten it down as well as possible using loctite or zylock nuts because vibration will loosen the fasteners pretty much guaranteed if you don't.

Something like below but without the wood... any ideas on how I can do this?
There is the Grin bracket (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09BH3ZJJK) that I suppose I can use? But want something somewhat clean.

View attachment 145715
Grin also makes these mounting parts which might work on your rack. They attach the double (and triple) bobs you mention above without using the hose clamps:

I've experimented with rack mounted batteries and found the battery weight mounted that high adversely affects bike handling due to the higher center of gravity.
I did just the opposite and moved the battery from the rear rack to a lower position on the down tube. This distributes the weight lower and farther forward which, in my case, greatly improves handling. I now carry my spare batteries in panniers which are lower to the ground and don't cause center of gravity issues.

Every bike & rider are different though, so try it and see how it works out.

E

6zfshdb, that's a good point. I've carried my extra battery in one of my panniers, but haven't carried in on my rear rack yet, to see if I can feel a difference.

I think I'ma do this:

Just waiting for my battery to arrive from UPP, fingers crossed!

Are both batteries connected electrically to the system?
How did you connect them? Parallel? or did you use a specific connection device designed for that purpose?

Are both batteries connected electrically to the system?
How did you connect them? Parallel? or did you use a specific connection device designed for that purpose?
Hi Tom. I actually got my LBS to this is.

I was thinking about using a balancer but decided against it as I will probably use one battery at a time anyway. Below is a picture of the external wiring (not sure how he done it internally), it isn't pretty (will definately tidy it up), I need to switch plugs to change batteries. The cable in yellow goes to the controller.

If I'm on a long journey, I'll take both batteries if not, I can just leave one at home.

unnamed.jpg

Back