Class 2 receiver racks for pickup trucks - what are you using?

rob feature

Region
USA
City
Greenwood Village, Colorado
It's time for a new rack for my truck. I think I want one that holds wheels, but might even work with fenders. Not against a downtube grabber either as long as it will work with the fat downtube on an ebike and not mess with the battery. Needs to hold 2 bikes. Something that swings out of the way might be nice too so I can get in the back of the truck with bikes on (truck has a camper shell).

Whatcha using? Bonus points for pictures :)

I just upgraded to QuikrStuff Quik Rack Mach2 for my 6 passenger SUV (company based in Grand Junction, CO). I upgraded from a +8 years old Saris SuperClamp4 Freedom hitch rack with 4" fat tire trays. Quik Rack was invented by the same person that worked on the 1UP rack. I like the Quik Rack because of all the improvements over the 1UP rack with ease of use, no tools needed for install/adjustments, 120lbs weight limit for each of the two racks (240lbs total), take up to a 5" fat tire w/ or w/o long wheelbases, ramp option, easy 5 min on/off, folds for easy storage at home/vehicle, extremely secure at 75-85 mph. and light weight (4"11" 130lbs, 58 year old wife can install and use ramp to mount her 65lbs ebike).

Downsides:
- cost, very expensive compared to other brands
- up to 2 months ship time
- charge CC at time of purchase
- no lights option (I added Curt 53201 4-way Aux light and used velcro strips to move as needed in up/down rack position).

4" Radrover installed, then installed 22lbs second rack, and used ramp for wife's Radcity:
Rack with bike ramp.jpg

4" Radrover, 2.3" Radcity Step Thru, and bike ramp. I didn't install 4-way lights or used the license plate holder option.
Rack with both bikes rear.jpg

Cool - thanks for that. Especially like that they're a local shop to me!

Yeah, racks don't seem to be getting any cheaper, do they? I've had quite a few over the years - mostly Yakima roof racks, but not sure I wanna put an ebike on top of anything. Never thought I'd see the day I was paying 4 figures for one, but the cheaper ones just aren't getting it done anymore. Too easy to tear up your bikes.

I added a mid-drive full suspension Himiway Cobra Pro recently and it came in at 90lbs, 4.8" fat tire, and very long wheelbase. My 8 year old 65lbs max per ebike Saris rack wasn't up to the tasks anymore. Add it the spouse and I getting older and it was getting harder to man-handle the +70lbs Saris rack and dead lift two 65lbs ebikes. The Quik Mack2 Rack solved a few current issues and help with some future ones down the road as be get older.

It's time for a new rack for my truck. I think I want one that holds wheels, but might even work with fenders. Not against a downtube grabber either as long as it will work with the fat downtube on an ebike and not mess with the battery. Needs to hold 2 bikes. Something that swings out of the way might be nice too so I can get in the back of the truck with bikes on (truck has a camper shell).

Whatcha using? Bonus points for pictures :)
I’m quite happy with the 1Up Superduty but likely would have opted instead for the QS rack if it wasn’t for the longish delivery time for one. We transport everything on the 1Up from ultra light carbon road bikes to emtbs to a fat bike and it’s never disappointed. I recently added a zippered bike jacket to the Norco Bigfoot to protect the wheels and drive train components from ice and grime that get kicked up on winter road trips.

PXL_20240210_185551444.jpg

1Up does offer an accessory called the Rack Attach which swings out 100 degrees from the rear of the vehicle for easier access though it is pricey and does add significant weight to the hitch. Here’s a member’s pic of it which appears to be hooked up to a Subaru. I don't have one myself so I can't offer any relative feedback. A good quality/purposeful rack will likely set you back some coin but I feel that it's well worth the investment. What I admire about 1Up and QuikrStuff are the racks are so easy and quick to install and remove on a vehicle and take up very little storage space. FWIW, if you're ebikes aren't really that heavy, I wouldn't bother with a ramp as I've never used mine and likely never will. My fat bike tips the scales at almost 60lbs and I'm able to lift it up on to the rack quite easily.

20220131_104040.jpg

20220131_104056.jpg

I have a Rocky Mounts Backstage. It will hold two e-bikes and swings all the way around to the side of your vehicle. I bought mine from Rack Attack. They have a video demonstrating the rack.

I got this type of bike hauler, very HD, can remove any of the 1/2" bolts to make pockets for the wheels to sit into,
3' "No hook" ratchet straps around and thru the spokes and over the steel carrier,
Motorcycle soft wrap straps around the seat stem with 2- 4' ratchet straps to suck the bike down and hold into the carrier pockets and down the road I go.

I have over 900+ miles most all rough 4x4 roads hauling my 100# Warthog MD 750 bike and never a worry or problem.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018SCMIR4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_22?smid=A2OSE6G7MS58ZO&psc=1,
and also got this longer folding ramp for easier loading,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MFTCI2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A1MYXA6TLEW6O1&psc=1

This type of carrier also comes in 2 place and in steel & alum construction, just make sure you get the style that has several 1/2" bolts for wheel pocket spacing.

Now, that I have a new jugg4 step thru bike enroute, I'll have to get the 2 place carrier for both bikes, which will be similar to this style with 1/2" bolts and made of steel.

Back