Vado 2.0 or Como 2.0

leonardopipek

Hey everyone,

Im buying my first e-bike and im in doubt between the Vado 2.0 and Como 2.0.

What do you think? Any big difference?

Is it worth spending a little more and buying the 3.0 instead of 2.0?

Thank you!

Hey everyone,

Im buying my first e-bike and im in doubt between the Vado 2.0 and Como 2.0.

What do you think? Any big difference?

Is it worth spending a little more and buying the 3.0 instead of 2.0?

Thank you!
I have only ridden the Vado but...
I’d say there is big difference between Vado and Como when it comes to frame geometry and seating position.
The Como offers a noticeably more upright seating position.
You get wider tires (on smaller rims) that should offer a more comfortable ride. The Vado has a suspension fork though.

The difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is in gearing and brakes and maybe also fenders, rack and lighting.
I really can’t say how much better the 10 speed Deore is vs the 9 speed Alivio but you get a ”lower lowest gear” with a 10 speed 11-42 compared to the 9 speed 11-36. Most modern gear shifts work fine as long as they are well adjusted.
I must admit though that I choose my Vado 4.0 ( 11 speed) over the 2.0 because of equipment level.

In the US the Vado and Como 3.0 are sometimes sold as 28mph bikes but I don!t think they were really meant for that initially. ( the 40 teeth crank is a bit small for 28mph)
There may be a slightly larger battery on the 3.0 (504Wh vs 460Wh) but I’m not sure about that.

Last edited:
A few days after I wrote my post I found out that the Como line is changing for 2019.
Check with your Specialized dealer.

I just picked up a 2019 Vado 1.0. I want 10 as opposed to 8 speed. It’s an affordable bike and appears to be upgradable. The 8 is ok . I’m looking for a little more at the top. It seems like pedaling has little effect over twenty mph in turbo on level road. Low gears on this bike are nice and it’s well balanced .

I just picked up a 2019 Vado 1.0. I want 10 as opposed to 8 speed. It’s an affordable bike and appears to be upgradable. The 8 is ok . I’m looking for a little more at the top. It seems like pedaling has little effect over twenty mph in turbo on level road. Low gears on this bike are nice and it’s well balanced .
Maybe your fellow-countrymen should answer as they may have better knowledge about e-bike classes and different Vados sold in the US.
Anyway I think the Vado 1.0 is restricted to 20mph, i. e. no motorsupport over 20mph.

Yeah I have tested this bike and don’t tell anybody but it sports a class 3 . With frantic pedaling 28 can be achieved. I prefer a slower cadence and I coast a lot. It’s nice to have the power when you want. If I were to change it to 10 speed, better use of the motor at the top end could be achieved. Someone correct me please

A 10 speed casette is not going to give you a higher gearing / more speed.
What could perhaps do it is changing the crank wheel to 48 tooth but I am definitely not recommending this because I think the Vado 1.0 was never meant to be speed pedelec.
Others might have different opinions about this.

Edit
Your 8 speed cassette has an 11 tooth as smallest chain wheel. That’s your present highest/fastest gear. Very few cassettes have smaller chain wheels than that.
You will most likely have to get a new derailleur and shifter and chain if you increase the number of chain wheels in the rear cassette.

Last edited:
I just picked up the Como yesterday. It's the Como 3 and I think they refer to it as 2020 year. Haven't ridden far yet but have learned that I love the upright position - the main difference from the Vado. The components are slightly different, but nothing major. I have also learned that mine has a brand new computer system on it. The shop wasn't aware that it was a different system and had to play with it a bit to set it up. Works great except I can't for the life of me figure out how to clear the trip distance. This is the same system the Vado will have.

Back