Using Ebikes As Tools For Meeting a Health Challenge

OLD is something you both fight and embrace. Getting OLD ain't easy but the alternative is far worse, at least it is right now. Getting OLD is not a choice, acting OLD is.
Nancy and I raise three boys who have all grown into fine young men. Two still live in our town and until covid were still at our dinner table at least twice a week (I married a world class chef which is quite a lure for them). All of us ride together regularly as well.

View attachment 69367
Good looking family... they must get it from their Mother. ;)

OLD is something you both fight and embrace. Getting OLD ain't easy but the alternative is far worse, at least it is right now. Getting OLD is not a choice, acting OLD is. Nancy and I raise three boys who have all grown into fine young men. Two still live in our town and until covid were still at our dinner table at least twice a week (I married a world class chef which is quite a lure for them). All of us ride together regularly as well.

View attachment 69367
You’re lucky to have them both so close!

Good looking family... they must get it from their Mother. ;)
DSCF0248.jpg

Those who know me are aware that I have been using my ebikes to rebuild my heart and general fitness after having had a major heart attack three years ago. It has worked incredibly well. However this winter I got a cancer diagnosis, ironically in one of my legs, the engines of my heart's recovery.

I have been fighting a cancerous tumor (soft tissue sarcoma) in my left thigh since February. After chemo and radiation, I had to have surgery on my leg ten days ago which will keep me off my bike for a month or more.

What a blessing to have a good ebike to encourage and facilitate my recovery and rehab. It is the perfect tool as it is so much fun, encouraging me to ride whenever the weather allows and adjustable for my changing needs.

I started chemotherapy in mid February. I kept riding although as the chemo progressed my energy level declined and there were days I just didn't have the energy to ride. My rides got shorter and I started using more assist. That lasted until the end of April. Keeping my body moving, getting out into the fresh air, watching life return with the blooming spring, really helped keep a good attitude during a difficult time.

In mid May, I moved on to the next phase of treatment, daily radiation therapy and the University of Washington Med Center. It was an 85 mile drive back and forth. I would leave the house at 8:15 and get back home by noon. The weather was warming and the chemo was working its way out of my system. I rode just about every afternoon when it wasn't raining. I rode almost every day with almost 30 mile daily average distance, racking up over 800 miles in July and over 600 miles in August prior to the surgery on the 24th. I focussed on reducing the electric assist and putting out as high wattage from my legs as I could, wanting to to into surgery in the best possible condition.

Riding on a daily basis and getting outdoors despite what was going on was so helpful in keeping my mental state and attitude on the positive side. It was an embrace of life made possible by my ebike. I wanted to go in to surgery strong and fit. My doctors encouraged this saying that having good muscle tone and vigorous circulation would facilitate and speed up healing and recovery.

Post surgically they are encouraging me to get back riding as soon as I can. When I get back on my bike I will have to use much higher assist until I can retrain my left leg to overcome a 50% loss in the quadriceps. Hopefully I can get close to my prior riding power.

The prognosis is good, radiation had left no living cancer cells, but they had to take out some muscle from my quadriceps and I have a long road of rehab and PT ahead. Hopefully, I get back on my bike by October

My goal for recovery is by next summer, repeat the Mount Baker climb I did last month, 48 miles with 5,000 feet of elevation gain.

Ebikes have been the perfect tool, adapting to my changing needs, keeping me fit, keeping me smiling, helping me fight cancer and heal.

Life is better on an ebike!

Last Month at Artist Point - Mount Baker
View attachment 64374
Hello,
I cannot believe I missed this post. A huge loss for me. I wish I had the words to properly express the emotional support I've drawn from your
experience and the marvelous way you shared your story. You've made a big difference in my life. Thank you.
John

Last edited:
A sudden thought.
It has happened to me to ride up with my e-bike to Warsaw and her surroundings to meet friends and family. None of them has ever ridden up with their bikes to my place. How strange; is it too far for them to come up here if it is not too far for me to ride to see them? :)

Perhaps the "e-bike" is the keyword here. It is not about the distance. E-bike gives one confidence the destination point would be reached (as long as we have mastered the aspect of battery range).

A sudden thought.
It has happened to me to ride up with my e-bike to Warsaw and her surroundings to meet friends and family. None of them has ever ridden up with their bikes to my place. How strange; is it too far for them to come up here if it is not too far for me to ride to see them? :)

Perhaps the "e-bike" is the keyword here. It is not about the distance. E-bike gives one confidence the destination point would be reached (as long as we have mastered the aspect of battery range).
Don't know if you can credit that to your ebike @Stefan Mikes ... I always have to drive to see family, they rarely drive to see us, but they always seem happy to see us. I have mentioned that the road runs both directions. Maybe you are just the designated driver...

I can really relate to this story. I had both legs badly broken in an accident, along with my spine, arm and sternum. Two years later I am finally back on a bike thanks to a Bafang conversion kit. I live in the mountains and I'll need the extra boost from the bike motor until I am back to full strength. Being on the bike for the first time was almost as much of a thrill as the first time I stood up and took a step in recovery.

I can’t believe I never saw this post. Alaskan it looks like you have recovered nicely and the ebike was part of your journey to recovery. Your an inspiration to all of us here on EBR. We are an older bunch for sure and on the whole represent an active subset of seniors who refuse to grow old.
I learned to ride a bike as a kid and developed a love for getting around on two wheels. I rode motorcycles for many years and traveled across Canada on one.
By the age of forty I was carrying a few too many extra pounds and decided I needed to do something about it so I bought a bike and starting pedalling again. I eventually got up to 160km/week. I lost weight, I gained energy and felt good.
At the age of 57 I started to lose energy and was always tired.
I ended up in hospital and almost died with no diagnosis of my illness. I was put into an induced coma and flown by helicopter to a major Toronto hospital.
During this time my kidneys failed and the drug cocktail I was given to keep me alive damaged my heart. Over the next two years I lived in a hospital. I was diagnosed with Waldenstroms Macroglobnia a rare form of Lymphoma that attacks your bone marrow and reduces your ability to make red blood cells.
Each time I was given chemotherapy I ended up in ICU because I was so weak I couldn’t handle it.My odds of surviving were not good and twice my family was told that I probably wouldn’t make it.
Slowly I worked my self to a point where I could get out of bed and walk around. I was not ready to get old and fade away. I could only walk a hundred feet or so and had to sit down.
but I kept at it and eventually went back to work. I tried riding my manual bike but it was difficult. I trained like crazy to ride a 25k charity event, I used to ride the 100k without training, the 25 k was brutal.
after that I bought my first ebike. That bike got me outside and active as I rebuilt my body. Two years later I bought a Vado 4. I ride that bike everywhere and I have gotten stronger. My doctors (and I have many) cannot believe my progress. They ask me how I stay motivated and I can’t explain it I just like to be active.
I turned 65 this year and just signed a 3 year part time contract at work. They asked me for 5 but I didn’t want to commit for that long.
Ebikes may not have saved my life but they were certainly involved with my recovery. The joy of getting out and riding give me something to look forward to.

I want to encourage any newbies wanting (or needing) to come back from illness (or procrastination) to just do it, get an ebike and have fun/get to work. Lots of stories on this forum (my triple bypass/valve repair included) of folks who’ve come back and lived longer/fuller lives by just doing it! Biking/ebiking has been a godsend for so many of us here and it can be for you and yours! Do it!
6976B3C7-46B0-418D-9489-3261709081C5.jpeg

I build what I call health bikes. They are all cadenced sensed bikes, not torque sensed bikes because torque sensed bikes require you to put in energy you may not have or you might run dry in energy quickly while still out. A cadence sensed bike also acts as a therapy bike and can be used to loosen up before regular biking. You can trace through the pedal stroke with zero resistance and loosen joints and warm things up before adding some resistance.
You take someone whom is recovering and put them on the right bike build around their handicaps and you get nothing but tears of joy. I have the talent to build any machine I can dream up so I can tailor build to suit the situation. I do so without charge.
I have considered starting a 501C to build recovery bikes even though it opens a whole new can of worms.

You can imagine my response to people whom look at it and say its cheating and really mean it. By their standards, they are hypocrites every time they get into their cars.

I love that this thread has been revived and that new stories of survival, recovery and hope like those of @Bafangalang @Dallant and @CyclingFANatic are being added the list of journeys from injury and illness back to health and vitality. What I find curious is how many of the ebike companies ignore our sector in their marketing and still persist in touting their products to the 25-40 crowd. I think they are overlooking an an important market segment. Oh well, their loss ;)

UPDATE:

By late November my leg was fully rehabilitated after the surgery, with nearly equal strength in both legs. I was back riding strong and hard and decided to reward myself for my efforts with a new lightweight and fast ebike, a Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 3 with Bosch speed class 3 motor and a 500 watt battery. The lighter weight (39 lbs) and more aero, drop bar ride position means much greater range and a way faster ride.

Then, in December, a routine CT scan found 5 metastasized nodules in my lungs from the Sarcoma. I have been on chemotherapy, once every fourteen days since early December. In fact I go in today for yet another infusion. Thus far the scans I have gotten at the end of January and again in March have shown no new nodules and shrinkage in the ones found back in December. My leg remains clear. This is encouraging but the chemo really impacts my energy level and appetite. I get knocked off the bike for five or six days of every two week period.

I still ride whenever the weather allows and I feel up to it. Being able to adjust the assist level to control my exertion level has been critical as the chemo can induce slight anemia and/or elevated heart rate beyond what the exercise level would be ordinarily. There are days when I am on the edge, tired and lacking energy. If it is not raining on those days, I ride anyway. It starts out difficult but after 5 miles or so, the endorphins kick in, my strength returns, I ratchet down the assist and I know I am smiling. I always get home from the ride feeling so much better. Nancy is astounded at the transformation between the guy the left the house and the one who came home. Last month (April) I rode 425 miles and have already put on 173 miles thus far in May.

I am still riding with my roady friends two or three times a week. Four of them are now riding e-road bikes, two Turbo Creo and Two Trek Domain +. We are all age 60-80. Riding in a pace line, averaging 16-17 mph over 30-40 mile rides, with these awesome athletes is such a blessing. They are all concerned, supportive and encouraging. These guys who looked at me with disdain and called me "cheater" three years ago are now good friends who really care. I am so blessed and grateful for every day I can ride.

Geez, I can't believe I hadn't seen this earlier. I hope things are going well now.

I'll read through the rest of the thread, but I was a little shocked to see this.

Geez, I can't believe I hadn't seen this earlier. I hope things are going well now.

I'll read through the rest of the thread, but I was a little shocked to see this.
I hope no one feels sorry for me. I have had a most fortunate and blessed life, full of love, adventure, a career that allowed me to build a good business doing what I enjoyed most, an amazing partner in Nancy, three great sons, and an abundance of truly good friends.

Life owes me nothing. Yes I want to stick around for more and am pedaling as hard as I can to make it so. If this thing beats me sooner rather than later, I will endeavor to walk (or ride) that path with grace and humor, knowing that no one could reasonably ask more from a life than I have been given.

That's a fantastic attitude. I really hope the pandemic lifts and I can come down to Bellingham to ride with you.
That is yet another thing that both of us can look forward to when this pandemic eases up. It will be a blast, I'm sure.

I hope no one feels sorry for me. I have had a most fortunate and blessed life, full of love, adventure, a career that allowed me to build a good business doing what I enjoyed most, an amazing partner in Nancy, three great sons, and an abundance of truly good friends.

Life owes me nothing. Yes I want to stick around for more and am pedaling as hard as I can to make it so. If this thing beats me sooner rather than later, I will endeavor to walk (or ride) that path with grace and humor, knowing that no one could reasonably ask more from a life than I have been given.
I have friends in Bellingham and hope to get there this year somehow..possibly with our ebikes. Would really enjoy meeting you if that happens.

Back