Using 1Up Super Duty with Turbo Como (or Vado) with Wheel Stop accessory, or other options

Now that I've gotten my Wheel Stop I can see why the 46" limitation even tho the tray is 9" longer. In the Wheel Stop storage position they designed it so the spool will fit nicely between the folded down rack arms. This forces the front wheel to be located further away from the tray edge than if the bike were centered. This is an issue even for my <46in wheelbase medium size Vado EQ. First picture shows how the bike is center mounted when not using a wheel stop. 2nd pic shows how the Wheel Stop moves the bike towards the rear wheel tray edge. In the case of the EQ fenders, it means the 1up clamp arm will not fit over the fender taillight. While the clamp arm can be adjusted to clamp onto the tire at the 9 o'clock position, this puts the end of the control arm quite a bit outside the width of the car and I'd be uncomforable driving around like that. 3rd pic shows foam added to move the wheel forward. Rear rack arm will clear fender light and can be snugged down closer to where the fender/rack support strut will help support.

4th pic shows Large Tero with 650B wheels when not using a wheel stop. 5th picture shows using a large piece of foam to move the wheel forward. 6th picture shows foam rotated to smaller dimension when used with a 29er wheel. I'd probably add a cinch strap around the wheel stop, foam and wheel for longer drives just for the additional securement.

Other bikes I've tried <46 in wheel base and no fenders fit fine - no issues. Wheel Stop will be great for those to help stabilize the bike.

Attachments

• medium Vado SL.jpg
    medium Vado SL.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 194
  • medium Vado SL wheel stop.jpg
    medium Vado SL wheel stop.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 211
  • medium Vado SL wheel stop foam.jpg
    medium Vado SL wheel stop foam.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 200
  • large Tero 650B.jpg
    large Tero 650B.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 193
  • large Tero 650B foam.jpg
    large Tero 650B foam.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 190
  • large Tero 29er foam.jpg
    large Tero 29er foam.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 198
I have two Vado 5.0 one standard on one step through. I carry those on my Kuat NV 2.0 with zero issues. The back tires are strapped down the the front tire clamp is positioned just ahead of the front fender. Also just installed the new ramp and it all works great.

@KirkTx yes, the Kuat NV 2.0 is nice -- if it works for the individual's situation.

We had one for my wife's car but ended up returning it. Couldn't get her Trek Verve+ and my hybrid to not interfere with one another (seat/brake-lever), and she couldn't open the rear door of her compact SUV even with the empty rack tilted down. No such issues with the 1UP rack.

Now that I've gotten my Wheel Stop I can see why the 46" limitation even tho the tray is 9" longer. In the Wheel Stop storage position they designed it so the spool will fit nicely between the folded down rack arms. This forces the front wheel to be located further away from the tray edge than if the bike were centered.

Yup, same experience here. Wheel stop is nice with my sub-46" wheelbase analog bikes, but not really workable for my Vado.

Another thought I had just now given @KirkTx 's mention of the NV 2.0 is how it might work with the rear 1Up arm left in the down position and the rear wheel cinch-strapped to the tray? I may have to experiment with that a bit, strapping both wheels down and the front arm steadying the front wheel.

Why I (we) try to make 1UP-USA work rather than go with other options is the modularity of the rack. My wife can easily install or remove her single-tray 1UP-usa rack by herself since it's 28lb as compared to the 52lb Kuat. With my truck the Super Duty Single works well as an everyday rack, and it take just a couple minutes to add the AddOn to either her or my rack to carry two bikes.

Why I (we) try to make 1UP-USA work rather than go with other options is the modularity of the rack. My wife can easily install or remove her single-tray 1UP-usa rack by herself since it's 28lb as compared to the 52lb Kuat. With my truck the Super Duty Single works well as an everyday rack, and it take just a couple minutes to add the AddOn to either her or my rack to carry two bikes.
Exactly. The single at 28 lbs and folding design in a platform rack make it small enough to fit in my cars sub trunk. At the same time it is easy to attach to the car and very easy to load a bike onto it. And the 75lb load rating makes it more than adequate for any ebike I'm likely to have.

Since ebikes are heavily weighted toward mid/rear, I found that using the wheel stop on the rear wheel actually works better for me. The Vado SL fits perfectly this way, while the Tero with 650B wheels would require less foam/towel spacer to engage the wheel.

Exactly. The single at 28 lbs and folding design in a platform rack make it small enough to fit in my cars sub trunk. At the same time it is easy to attach to the car and very easy to load a bike onto it. And the 75lb load rating makes it more than adequate for any ebike I'm likely to have.
I mentioned above that I returned the Kuat NV 2.0 partly because we couldn't get my wife's ebike and my hybrid to not interfere with one another. Reason is the Kuat has a fixed front wheel spot with only a small amount of adjustability. Bikes are where they are.

With the 1UP-USA racks there's flexibility in placement. Just carrying one bike? Center it like I show above in post #17. Two bikes and interference between handlebars or brake levers and seats? Shift them one way or the other to clear everything. Here's an example with my Vado and my road bike. (used a bit of pipe insulation for the Vado rear fender and also cinch-strapped the front spool to the front wheel)

tempImage59rn9g.pngtempImage1UyQap.png

Back