Update to New Update: Giant's Ride Control App 1.4.5

iskjone

Well before I had any time to check out Giant's RideControl Version 1.4.4 app there's a newer version (1.4.5 ) released. Don't know much but looks like an improved navigation screen. That would be welcome if usable! I'll check it out tomorrow. A summary of the app is on the Play Store where you download it.

Jun 22, 2020

This update contains a firmware update for your bike. Our EnergyPak Plus range extender compatibility will be improved and tuning is again possible with the SyncDrive Pro motor. For older firmware updates from previous versions are also included.

Jun 22, 2020

This update contains a firmware update for your bike. Our EnergyPak Plus range extender compatibility will be improved and tuning is again possible with the SyncDrive Pro motor. For older firmware updates from previous versions are also included.
That is the wording that appears in the notice of the update. The second sentence makes no sense.

has anyone updated yet?

Hope it's a translation glitch. It's a good sign that Giant continues to improve the RideControl app and address firmware fixes but not confident the right group of people are working on software resolutions. They have a worldwide market and must be working on numerous issues with reduced staff. Welcome to the new normal.

I'm downloading today, and will attempt to update my bike. Previous attempts did not work to update bike, so I got an older version of the app to use until it's convenient to send it off to the shop to have the dealer do the update. Will post whether this one is successful, and any changes noticed.

I'm downloading today, and will attempt to update my bike. Previous attempts did not work to update bike, so I got an older version of the app to use until it's convenient to send it off to the shop to have the dealer do the update. Will post whether this one is successful, and any changes noticed.
My 2020 Fathom is running well on 1.4.4. I am fearful of updates crashing my system.

From the Google App store on version 1.4.5
integrated e-bike app

RideControl
e-bike app

The world of connectivity opens up for your Giant E-bike with the launch of our RideControl E-bike App. This new app makes it possible to connect your phone with your E-bike. It differentiates itself from other cycling apps with three core functions including tuning possibilities, fitness interaction and notifications to your RideControl EVO screen. The Giant E-bike app is compatible with all our 2019 Giant E-bikes.

Tuning
With the Giant E-bike App, it is now possible to tune your motor settings and choose a support ratio most suitable for your riding style and terrain. You can choose between stronger, more aggressive performance, or tune it for a more comfortable ride. It’s up to you. The motor comes set with default settings and is adjustable with the App.
Update your bike
With this app update it is possible to update your e-bike to the latest firmware to ensure optimal functionality of the system.

Navigation
Use the RideControl App for turn-by-turn navigation specifically designed for on the bike. If your bike is equipped with a compatible RideControl EVO display it will also show turn-by-turn navigation, so no need to keep your phone at hand.

Fitness
E-bikes offer a whole spectrum of riding possibilities—from making it easier to pedal and ride farther, to riding for fitness. The Giant E-bike App features new fitness functionalities so the rider can maximize their fitness gains and set goals by time, distance, calories or heartrate. By using the smart auto adjust support function, the system measures the amount of effort you have to put in to reach your heartrate goals. Feedback is displayed by the RideControl EVO display or directly on the App. After your ride, the App shows your accomplishments and performance including the human and motor consumption

no_photo.png
ReplyForward

I did the Update to version 1.4.5 on my Explore E+ 4 2020 and after 10 mins I'm feeling a much, much improved Auto mode. (Mainly because ver. 1.4.2 broke it) Also my quick seat of the pants-o-meter feels better response in all five modes with 3rd and 4th power levels feeling noticeably stronger. Could it be possible that it's better? !! Maybe performance gains at the price of battery drain. Time will tell. Your mileage may differ.

Well, this one wouldn't update my La Free, either, so back to version 1.4.2 until I can get it to the dealer :(.

I
How do you go backwards?
Went here:

On the advice of an electrical engineer friend and downloaded the last "good" version. Also had to download the installer. Works great!

This is for Android phone, BTW

You have to uninstall the newer version that came from the Play Store first.

Last edited:
I

Went here:

On the advice of an electrical engineer friend and downloaded the last "good" version. Also had to download the installer. Works great!

This is for Android phone, BTW

You have to uninstall the newer version that came from the Play Store first.
Don't forget to turn off auto updates for the app or else you will be back where you started.:(

Well, this one wouldn't update my La Free, either, so back to version 1.4.2 until I can get it to the dealer :(.
I update the app with the bike OFF...PHONE usually says ‘failed to update.‘ Then I turn ON the bike and the update takes place. Hope this helps.

My update went smoothly. I do not see any difference in performance between 1.4.4 and 1.4.5.
Ditto, except a momentary glitch on battery level during my ride. Went from 60 miles to 31miles remaining for a few minutes then corrected itself. 🤔The ride seemed a little easier on climbs but one ride doesn’t prove that. 🚴‍♀️

I update the app with the bike OFF...PHONE usually says ‘failed to update.‘ Then I turn ON the bike and the update takes place. Hope this helps.
Nope, tried that :(.

Something I am curious about: when Giant says the app update includes a firmware update is this actually a Yamaha firmware update branded as Giant or a change in how the Giant app communicates with the Yamaha motor?

I believe it’s Yamaha hardware, Giant software. The firmware probably has some overlap but it’s mostly mapped and tuned by Giant. That’s common perception, I think.

Back