UPDATE: GOT IT! $2kish & 36" inseam, 16mile Commute - DECIDED: RIDEAL! -

hoboin

Region
USA
Update: I purchased the Arial rideal. Here's a few photos, look at newest posts for info.
PXL_20210807_122234047.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

PXL_20210807_122519546.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Intro: I am 39, living in Northern Virginia and have access to amazing bike paths near my home and office. Just spent 1 month with a very old early electric bike and i want to purchase a new one as my daily driver to work, 16 miles a day. I want to peddle to lose weight, but throttle assist would be nice when struggling or in pain ( i have chronic back pain but riding bikes has been helping ease the pain).

Person: 220lbs on average.
6 foot, 3 inches tall.
36" inseam.

Price Range: $1500 to $2500

Riding Position: Upright ( i have kyphosis, so my head is kind of always wanting to be looking down towards the ground, so anything other than upright is too much strain on my neck)

Desired Features: Tall Friendly, HILL CLIMBER, bumpy bike path, some light offroading if possible, as little maintance as possible.
750w motor or more is what i would imagine i would need to power my large self up a very steep hill. Weight doesn't really matter, i won't be climbing stairs with it. I can park and charge it inside near front office.

Use: 16 mile Roundtrip Commute to work 5 times a week, all weather
Detailed: 8 mile trip, 2 miles on roads with VERY steep hills, 6 miles on bike trails. Can charge while i am at work and will be kept indoors at all times. Will be used for commuting and grocery store trips. Ocassional trips to store to bring back about 40lbs or so of groceries.

Previous Ebike: 500w (i believe) very early ebike. I have a thread here about reviving an old ebike from early 2000s, i just used that for all of June and biked to work for about 800 miles. Was my primary vehicle, went to stores and doctor visits on it. This old ebike will be used to go to town and stores when working. It worked really well, just strugled going up hills, but i could do them at around 4 or 5mph at my weight and strength. This is where i would want the new bike to be better.

Bikes i am Looking at:

1. Radrunner Plus
$1800
750w, 80 Nm, hub motor
Says inseam up to 34" where i need 36". Would this be a deal breaker???

2. Aventon Level Commuter
$1700
750w, hub motor
fits Riders up to 6'4".

DIY Option: I am willing to consider a DIY kit if i can find a good non electric bike that is tall friendly. I know my really long legs limit my options. I have been working on my older ebike so i am a little comfortable building my own ebike, especially if it could be done relatively cheap (under $1k) and it could be my 3rd ebike after i purchase a new one.

Last edited:
REI’s Co-Op brand ebikes are worth a look, join as an REI member to get 10% back as an annual dividend, use their credit card to get another 5% off. The CTY e2.2 model has a reasonably strong mid-drive (60nm) and a rack welded onto the frame. The Large size fits riders up to 6’3”

Last edited:
I don't think you could stay under a $1000 with a DIY bike. $400-$500 for the donor bike, $400-$500 for the kit, $500-$600 for the battery (don't go cheap on the battery), and another $200 or so for tools and a work stand. Add another $100-$200 for miscellaneous stuff like mirrors, bell, rack, etc.

Here is a IGH candidate if you want to go the DIY route. This is large frames and still might be a little small for you, but you can probably make it work. This doesn't have a front suspension or disc brakes. You would need a mid-drive kit for this bike.

https://charlottesville.craigslist.org/bik/d/montpelier-station-specialized-globe/7343952474.html

This is a hardtail mountain bike. The frame is your size (XL) and it has front suspension and disc brakes. Hardtails are easier to add a rear rack to than full suspension bikes and there is more room in the triangle for a battery. It has a derailleur and not a IGH. You could put either a mid-drive or rear hub kit on it.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/d/manakin-sabot-gary-fisher-piranha-21/7344945415.html

Thanks run for the estimation on the self build. I actually have a bike stand and a lot of the various tools, so i got that covered. It's semi hefty, it is able to hold my Charger bike which is about 60 lbs, but i will double check the weight limit on it.

I will be adding a few bikes to the list today, i am just looking at Ariel bikes now and they have a lot of features that i wanted but was too afraid to even ask for, mainly IHG and 1000 watt motor.

As for the REI bike i would consider it if the motor was a bit stronger. I gotta have 500 minimum i would think. I love the idea of all those savings though, thanks for the suggestion!

Intro: I am 39, living in Northern Virginia and have access to amazing bike paths near my home and office. Just spent 1 month with a very old early electric bike and i want to purchase a new one as my daily driver to work, 16 miles a day. I want to peddle to lose weight, but throttle assist would be nice when struggling or in pain ( i have chronic back pain but riding bikes has been helping ease the pain).

Person: 220lbs on average.
6 foot, 3 inches tall.
36" inseam.

Price Range: $1500 to $2500

Riding Position: Upright ( i have kyphosis, so my head is kind of always wanting to be looking down towards the ground, so anything other than upright is too much strain on my neck)

Desired Features: Tall Friendly, HILL CLIMBER, bumpy bike path, some light offroading if possible, as little maintance as possible.
750w motor or more is what i would imagine i would need to power my large self up a very steep hill. Weight doesn't really matter, i won't be climbing stairs with it. I can park and charge it inside near front office.

Use: 16 mile Roundtrip Commute to work 5 times a week, all weather
Detailed: 8 mile trip, 2 miles on roads with VERY steep hills, 6 miles on bike trails. Can charge while i am at work and will be kept indoors at all times. Will be used for commuting and grocery store trips. Ocassional trips to store to bring back about 40lbs or so of groceries.

Previous Ebike: 500w (i believe) very early ebike. I have a thread here about reviving an old ebike from early 2000s, i just used that for all of June and biked to work for about 800 miles. Was my primary vehicle, went to stores and doctor visits on it. This old ebike will be used to go to town and stores when working. It worked really well, just strugled going up hills, but i could do them at around 4 or 5mph at my weight and strength. This is where i would want the new bike to be better.

Bikes i am Looking at:

1. Radrunner Plus
$1800
750w, 80 Nm, hub motor
Says inseam up to 34" where i need 36". Would this be a deal breaker???

2. Aventon Level Commuter
$1700
750w, hub motor
fits Riders up to 6'4".

DIY Option: I am willing to consider a DIY kit if i can find a good non electric bike that is tall friendly. I know my really long legs limit my options. I have been working on my older ebike so i am a little comfortable building my own ebike, especially if it could be done relatively cheap (under $1k) and it could be my 3rd ebike after i purchase a new one.
You said you would be going up very steep hills, I would look for a mid drive. Less likely to overheat on hills, give you full use of motor power with gears. I'm waiting on one of these now had a 750 watt hub. I spent $2221 got bike in camo with light front and back, rack, pannier bag, U lock with cable, alarm, and phone holderGot mine from electricbikepros.com. Many sites offer different packages, official one below.

Last edited:
Thanks, I figured mid drive motor would be better, as that is what my current one is. Will add this to the list for sure, I like the style of that one

Last edited:
Thanks, I figured mid drive motor would be better, as that is what my current one is. Will add this to the list for sure, I like the style of that one
Yes, and try to go for the bafang bbshd(m615) or the Ultra(which will likely be out of the price range) over the bbs02. The bbs02 is known to overheat quicker, bc it doesn't cooling fans like bbshd. Also more programming options if you like that for bbshd. It is a more solid motor. Look at previous thread for some mid drive ideas. You can always change stem and handlebar to fit your ride position.

BBS02 is fine for commuting, don’t take my word for it, I trust the testing Justin LeMire Elmore did comparing the two motors https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100461
Agreed, yes it is a fine motor. When you can get the upgrade that has better design and can take more wattage,better internal gears, and has the benefit of using Luna programming if you want...why not. Wasn't trying to say you were wrong, I just like to get the most bang for my bucks.

Hey El banco thanks for your thread, I read it all and wish you luck getting your bike, it was very helpful seeing all your questions and interactions with stores and replies here

Hey El banco thanks for your thread, I read it all and wish you luck getting your bike, it was very helpful seeing all your questions and interactions with stores and replies here
You welcome, that's what these forums are all about. Ebikers helping each other and spreading knowledge.

I just found out my current ebike, the Charger from around 2000, had the wrong batteries installed. They originally came with lead acid and those were dead, and i too quickly replaced the batteries with Lithium ones and they were not correct. The bike worked, but would shut off at random times, so i am ordering new lithium batteries from the original seller, with an updated charger, and i will test out the bike to see if the performance changes.

I also found out that the motor is 350 watts , or 1.5 hp. I might be able to get away with a 500w mid drive motor. I am looking at the reviews for the 1000w fat tire bike and i really love it, but i feel like it might be over kill. I really loved that it had suspension in the front though.

I just found out my current ebike, the Charger from around 2000, had the wrong batteries installed. They originally came with lead acid and those were dead, and i too quickly replaced the batteries with Lithium ones and they were not correct. The bike worked, but would shut off at random times, so i am ordering new lithium batteries from the original seller, with an updated charger, and i will test out the bike to see if the performance changes.

I also found out that the motor is 350 watts , or 1.5 hp. I might be able to get away with a 500w mid drive motor. I am looking at the reviews for the 1000w fat tire bike and i really love it, but i feel like it might be over kill. I really loved that it had suspension in the front though.

I always say better to have too much than not enough. If the 1000w is too much turn the assist level down. I'm 6ft 185 and going on long steep uphill climbs with the 750w hub-drive was a chore. With a 70 lb bike, plus you and whatever you're toting I would welcome the power. All that said to say get what you're comfortable with but you can turn too much down, but you can't turn too little up. Hopefully the bike you has performs better and you will have two bikes you ride.

Last edited:
I dont see how i can pass up on the EUNORAU FAT-HD as of now, it's at the top of the list. I am watching some of Bolton's videos on the Biktrix Ultra. Seems very similar and i remember reading about them in your own thread, Binco. Most are out of stock on Bolton (which i believe is pretty common now) and i'm starting to feel your pain. Eunorau is an awesome bike for the price, the only thing that i wish were a little different is the frame. 19" frame seems to be a little on the small size for me based on the "average" frame size suggestion, they say 19" is for about 6 foot tall and i'm 6 foot 3" with freakishly long legs with the 36" inseam. I would prefer a step through frame because of my back problems, but i think i can probably get away without having step through. My current charger is 27" high to step over the top tube, which is slightly downward. When stepping off of that, with some pain in my lower legs it's slightly difficult to get on and off but that pain goes away quickly. Just slightly concerned about having to step higher.

I don't think the need for easy mounting is worth waiting 6 months for. Am i wrong when i have such huge inseam?

I dont see how i can pass up on the EUNORAU FAT-HD as of now, it's at the top of the list. I am watching some of Bolton's videos on the Biktrix Ultra. Seems very similar and i remember reading about them in your own thread, Binco. Most are out of stock on Bolton (which i believe is pretty common now) and i'm starting to feel your pain. Eunorau is an awesome bike for the price, the only thing that i wish were a little different is the frame. 19" frame seems to be a little on the small size for me based on the "average" frame size suggestion, they say 19" is for about 6 foot tall and i'm 6 foot 3" with freakishly long legs with the 36" inseam. I would prefer a step through frame because of my back problems, but i think i can probably get away without having step through. My current charger is 27" high to step over the top tube, which is slightly downward. When stepping off of that, with some pain in my lower legs it's slightly difficult to get on and off but that pain goes away quickly. Just slightly concerned about having to step higher.

I don't think the need for easy mounting is worth waiting 6 months for. Am i wrong when i have such huge inseam?
Yes the Juggernaut and fat hd are essentially the same bike. As far as the wait I think that's personal preference I wouldn't, but for you comfort may be key. The stand over height for the fat hd is 30" I think. Add a suspension seat post and handlebar you want high rise prob to help with the upright riding position and I think you can make a comfortable cockpit for your size with that frame. Yes the wait time for you want seems to be standard now. Ready for mine now.Look at recommended mountain bike height for your size.

Also would've loved the Juggernaut Ultra it's the same bike with bigger battery and the new motor the bafang ultra instead of bbshd with better customer service. Boltons review for fat hd is the foxbat. Couldn't wait and it's about $1000 more. Eunorau sells a 48v21ah battery which I'll be purchasing after I test range.

Last edited:
I am feeling like 19" will probably do me fine. I see the foxbat available early 2022 and is $2800, only difference i can see is the battery maybe? Everything else seems pretty much the same? Any other sites similar to Bolton that sells good mid-drive motors? Also where can the tires be purchased, i think i saw that they were around $240 for the set, seems pretty high but hopefully fat tires are more sturdy?

Back