UPDATE: GOT IT! $2kish & 36" inseam, 16mile Commute - DECIDED: RIDEAL! -

Yeah I need to slow down and think about it a little more but thanks so much for all your advice and I hope yours ships soon!!

I'm still new to the ebikes world, so I'm still learning. Just watched a video on mid motor vs gear motor and will have to do more research especially on motor/battery warranties.

Look what I walked past today. Going to try it out...

Pretty wacky front gear hub??? Looks like 350w

PXL_20210713_192858284.MP.jpg

PXL_20210713_192940906.jpg

PXL_20210713_192922292.jpg

i wasnt able to ride it, it was about 1 mile outside the "safe zone" to where i could return it and i was working or i would have road it. might try in the next few days.

I am looking at Ariel Rider videos now... seems like a pretty good deal for $1000. I know asking for suspension is too much but i guess seat post would be a good upgrade. Are there any other comparable bikes that have that strong a motor? I see 750w on a rear hub equals about 60nm of torque, i think that is the big number used for climbing hills correct? Seems rather low. Would a 350w mid drive potential have better torque for climbing?

the ariel rider rideal looks too good to be true lol, some really good reviews im seeing. the high step i feel like is too high for me to comfortable step over to get onto. I am leaning towards the mid-step but i'm slightly worried about my 36" inseam being too long. My current bike is semi mid-step design and has step through height of 29" and i can barely make it over comfortably. 33" standover height for the high step vs 24" for the mid-step. The only other difference i can see is the seat tube length is longer on the high-step, 21" vs 18". I think i am leaning towards the mid-step.

Yeah I need to slow down and think about it a little more but thanks so much for all your advice and I hope yours ships soon!!

I'm still new to the ebikes world, so I'm still learning. Just watched a video on mid motor vs gear motor and will have to do more research especially on motor/battery warranties.
No problem.. Me as well. My first ebike was in May. I was originally going to get an electric dirt bike. Decided I wanted to ride on trails and neighborhood w/o hassle. First one malfunctioned( front fork broke). Loved it and wanted another so I researched. Now I know a little haha. Hopefully soon...my old one
the ariel rider rideal looks too good to be true lol, some really good reviews im seeing. the high step i feel like is too high for me to comfortable step over to get onto. I am leaning towards the mid-step but i'm slightly worried about my 36" inseam being too long. My current bike is semi mid-step design and has step through height of 29" and i can barely make it over comfortably. 33" standover height for the high step vs 24" for the mid-step. The only other difference i can see is the seat tube length is longer on the high-step, 21" vs 18". I think i am leaning towards the mid-step.
Seems like the most affordable commuter ebike for a first timer. Ariel is a decent sized well known company, who should stay in business. Figured it might work. Can't beat a bike with 750watt and 14ah battery under 1000.

Attachments

• 20210509_211420.jpg
    20210509_211420.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 20210517_075754.jpg
    20210517_075754.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 20210512_092754.jpg
    20210512_092754.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 195
wow that thing looks pretty sick, having a fork snap sounds pretty terrifying. Yeah i think it's a perfect starter commuter bike, price point is amazing and looks really well. Only thing i dont really like is the no name battery but i dont think the Fat-HD even had a good battery by default. I am waiting to hear from Ariel about the mid-step availability and i will probably order by the end of the week! Thanks again for all your replies here it's been really helpful.

man this thing destroys hills!
oops it was a different
wow that thing looks pretty sick, having a fork snap sounds pretty terrifying. Yeah i think it's a perfect starter commuter bike, price point is amazing and looks really well. Only thing i dont really like is the no name battery but i dont think the Fat-HD even had a good battery by default. I am waiting to hear from Ariel about the mid-step availability and i will probably order by the end of the week! Thanks again for all your replies here it's been really helpful

Still trying to 100% from fork snap but no major injuries. You prob were looking at the Grizzly. Thought about getting it. Didn't like the weight 100lb plus, height 20 inch wheels, and it looked motorcycle esque(police problems on street and trails). I think all the major companies use samsung, panasonic, or LG. Doubt it's anything different but I would order a bigger battery for whatever bike I get. I like to go on long rides and don't want to have to charge up on otw back for the round trip. You can always ask them. Wasn't a deal breaker for me.

i wasnt able to ride it, it was about 1 mile outside the "safe zone" to where i could return it and i was working or i would have road it. might try in the next few days.

I am looking at Ariel Rider videos now... seems like a pretty good deal for $1000. I know asking for suspension is too much but i guess seat post would be a good upgrade. Are there any other comparable bikes that have that strong a motor? I see 750w on a rear hub equals about 60nm of torque, i think that is the big number used for climbing hills correct? Seems rather low. Would a 350w mid drive potential have better torque for climbing?
Yes 350w mid, would be better at climbing hills than a similar set up 750 hub. Battery size, controller, tires, and 52r or 30t chain ring.Alot of variables. If you need more torque get a smaller chain ring. If you need more top end increase the size. My 750 watt got me up almost any hill, I just would be sweating on the big ones. Figured I'd try a mid drive next. An bike torque ratings are funny...they all measure differently so it's hard compare bike v bike or motor v motor torque ratings. You're only going to get so much for $1000 though. Idk of any other 750watt bikes under 1000 from a company. Alibaba if your willing to wait, just make sure you do your due diligence.

I forgot about the 500, that is one of the first one I looked at. Thanks, will look at these and decide. Still loving the ideal of the rideal let's see. The under 1k price is pretty amazing and fits perfectly on my new credit card that has a 1200 limit, which if I hit $3k spending I get $500 cash back so It would be an easy purchase

I forgot about the 500, that is one of the first one I looked at. Thanks, will look at these and decide. Still loving the ideal of the rideal let's see

Still trying to 100% from fork snap but no major injuries. You prob were looking at the Grizzly. Thought about getting it. Didn't like the weight 100lb plus, height 20 inch wheels, and it looked motorcycle esque(police problems on street and trails). I think all the major companies use samsung, panasonic, or LG. Doubt it's anything different but I would order a bigger battery for whatever bike I get. I like to go on long rides and don't want to have to charge up on otw back for the round trip. You can always ask them. Wasn't a deal breaker for me.
i can't find the link anymore, but i think it was the x52 but not sure. It was san Francisco i believe and he went up the hills effortlessly with assist.

Checkout the step through version may work for you.

500 series is the closest bike that i would consider getting, just for the suspension fork but it's probably not worth spending $200 more for a lesser powerful motor and battery setup. Thanks for the idea though, that was for sure the first one i looked at and liked.

You might want to consider the Espin Nero with 750 watt nominal motor, well made rear hub, fat tire, it is easy to mount with step thru design and would fit you. It is a big bike, about 75 lbs. fat tires, suspension fork, but no worries if you will not be carrying it upstairs. Good battery. Good performance. Lots of owners claim it will climb anything. About $1400.00 and you can pay over time if you like. We have one, along with an Espin Sport and a Ride1 up 500. We got the fenders, front and rear rack package. Comes with lights, locking grips also.

Wow i like it. You mention you have the Ride1up 500, how would you compare the 2? I really like that the Espin has Samsung battery and the fork sus. Do you have the ST 500?? They seem like similar bikes and i was looking at that and liked the look of it. Which of the 2 would you prefer for durability (low maintenance ) but heavy usage (average 20 miles a day maybe)?

Back