Ultra programming

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
As a recent purchaser of an Bafang Ultra powered RX Pro, I've wandered into the controller programing after riding 50-60 miles. I thought the OEM/as shipped programing was a little too aggressive for me and my riding style. I won't bore you with all the details, much of which is available elsewhere. Just wanted to touch on some early results - which were not that difficult to achieve. No rocket science involved, honest. I am NOT an electronics giant or computer whiz by any shape of the imagination! Would love to hear about others have done, or would like to do. Can get into specifics if there's any interest.

That initial hit when adding throttle was softened considerably, the amount of assistance available when the torque sensing first engages was reduced, and finally the amount of pedal pressure required to engage the torque sensing was reduced a little. None of the changes affected top speed or high speed performance. That's 100% intact. All of the changes were about low speed handling. Instead of just "ghost pedaling" at lower speeds due to too much available assistance (one of the reasons some consider these battery hogs), I can now contribute some of the power required to go even 6 mph. Power delivery (assistance) while using PAS level 1 through 5 is linear, with no big jumps from one to the next, no big holes, and assistance starts low enough where you can actually provide some assistance of your own. If you want more assistance, go to the next PAS level. Bottom line I'm now happy with the idea this thing is doing what I want it to do. Bonus is I believe my battery range has been increased by quite a bit as compared to what I started with as well. -Al

That is cool Ahicks. I also don't like the iniital 'hit' and power off-the-line and would like to lower this a bit. I might like your adjustments. Did you document your process somewhere, build a video or follow some instructions you can link?
Loving the bike, really getting some good mileage now that the 'thrill' of the throttle has settled down to occasional bursts of speed to cross intersections and keep up with vehicles in between green-ways.

I did sorta document here-
A lot of it is just tossing some ideas around, bouncing them off somebody else. Maybe start on the last page and work your way backwards.

For more specifics just holler. Fair warning though, not real good at documenting my work.... At best I have a few notes..... -Al

Last edited:
I purchased an Ultra motor and frame from WW and want to adjust some of the throttle settings but are not having much luck. I got the upgraded controller but the throttle response is vey weak its almost like having no throttle at all. PAS is great and seems to be adjusted ok so I'm just looking to raise the throttle output. What I want to do is access the throttle settings from my other bike with the BBSHD and change the ultra programing to match up with that. I think the current setting I have is to save a bit of battery life but with the larger battery (34.5ahr) I am using I have power to spare.

I purchased a programing cable from Cal E-Bikes and are using a PC with windows 10 installed. I downloaded the ( what I think is the right program ) from the web and the program won't let me connect up to my USB. You have to manually input your Com Port and it keeps saying "failure" All com ports are good I swapped around the keyboard and mouse plugs to different ports and they all work fine. I even downloaded the "basic ultra programing program" from the Biktrix site and still can't connect up. I also brought the bike inside the house to try and connect up to another PC with Windows 7 and got the same results. I took the shrink tubing off the USB end of my adadpter to see if I could see anything obvious but it looked ok.

Any ideas I'm all ears thanks for listening.
IMG_1139.JPG

I retired with over 20 years spent in IT, and struggled with that darn com port thing until I figured out that it wasn't looking for just the com port number, it wanted the word "com" in front of that number. Eg "com5" rather than just "5". No more issues from the point I figured that out. Fer cryin out load..... simple stuff like that STILL kicking my butt.....

On the "throttle handle" tab, I did 2 things. First was to smooth out the throttle I'm using. I went with the widest settings I thought I could get away with "Start voltage" = 11 and "end voltage" set at 40. This made a noticeable difference with the throttle being noticeably less "nervous" or herky jerky through it's travel.

To control how hard that throttle hits, mine came with a "start current" set to 10, which I thought was too much. I went with 8 after finding 6 too soft. Just right now - but that's a really subjective thing. Set over 10, my understanding is it's not hard to smoke the controller with wide open application in the wrong gear....

Referencing you HD setting a pretty good plan if that's set up to your liking.

I did enter com1, com2 etc all the way to 9 and still no go. My throttle setting is very gradual and slow to engage.
Throttle on my BBSHD is all ON!
Typically when I need or want the throttle I am already moving and need just a little extra boost so "all on" won't be a huge shock to the drivetrain. I find myself riding now and not even using the throttle. That was the main reason I went with the Ultra.

I did enter com1, com2 etc all the way to 9 and still no go. My throttle setting is very gradual and slow to engage.
Throttle on my BBSHD is all ON!
Typically when I need or want the throttle I am already moving and need just a little extra boost so "all on" won't be a huge shock to the drivetrain. I find myself riding now and not even using the throttle. That was the main reason I went with the Ultra.
This sounds like a job for Pushkar. I'm going to buy his up and coming FS bike most likely and I have never used nor do I own a windoz machine. I will give up the warranty if he will do proper settings for me from the shop. Other people are reporting this lacksadaisical throttle response. I get it. He doesn't want to warrantee people ripping their cogs off with poor gear choice and massive throttle response. I will most probably one day also buy a complete motor and harness setup from him for my coming Frey bike. Then send in the Frey motor for conversion. ( good to have spare motor around ) So either Pushkar can accommodate me or I will have to buy a windoz machine which will void my warrantee anyway.

Maybe try downloading Penoff's version of the file used for BBSxx drives. He completely rewrote the program, pretty much debugging it and making it friendlier to use. If I remember right, it goes and looks for the com port. 100% compatible with the original file.

About 2/3's of the way down the first page here:

I purchased an Ultra motor and frame from WW and want to adjust some of the throttle settings but are not having much luck. I got the upgraded controller but the throttle response is vey weak its almost like having no throttle at all. PAS is great and seems to be adjusted ok so I'm just looking to raise the throttle output. What I want to do is access the throttle settings from my other bike with the BBSHD and change the ultra programing to match up with that. I think the current setting I have is to save a bit of battery life but with the larger battery (34.5ahr) I am using I have power to spare.

I purchased a programing cable from Cal E-Bikes and are using a PC with windows 10 installed. I downloaded the ( what I think is the right program ) from the web and the program won't let me connect up to my USB. You have to manually input your Com Port and it keeps saying "failure" All com ports are good I swapped around the keyboard and mouse plugs to different ports and they all work fine. I even downloaded the "basic ultra programing program" from the Biktrix site and still can't connect up. I also brought the bike inside the house to try and connect up to another PC with Windows 7 and got the same results. I took the shrink tubing off the USB end of my adadpter to see if I could see anything obvious but it looked ok.

Any ideas I'm all ears thanks for listening.
View attachment 69737
You installed the driver for the cable? There should be one if windows does not pull it.

Here is an example:
https://edrivenet.com/bafang-programming/

Something should show up in Device Manager is it's not recognized try another USB port or try another cable.

There's a similar thread going on presently with the same problem as yours. Pushkar is on it. No programming cable works on the Archon except the proprietary cable Wattwagons sells. And they are back ordered.

There's a similar thread going on presently with the same problem as yours. Pushkar is on it. No programming cable works on the Archon except the proprietary cable Wattwagons sells. And they are back ordered.
Hi Reed. Do you know if Frey will preprogram my controller if I send them pictures of the values I want? I am a little concerned about what I have read so far about the way the CC comes stock...

Hi Reed. Do you know if Frey will preprogram my controller if I send them pictures of the values I want? I am a little concerned about what I have read so far about the way the CC comes stock...
Sorry Taylor. No idea. If you have a windows machine and get the cable it doesn't sound too difficult to accomplish. It sounds to me that sellers of the Ultra prefer it a bit doggy over warranty concerns and possibly liability.

From the info I just got from Pushkar it seems the "upgraded controller" software is propriatary and has to go through them at least to unlock. Dont know yet if after it is unlocked I will be able to tweak it or not. Posted up on the Wattwagon section. Oh and I did try Penoffs version with the same results.
Pushkar did confirm I will not be able to access controller settings with standard bafang cable and program. Evidently his cable and program is available for a fee to adjust settings as needed as soon as he has them in stock again. I went to the WW site again and reread the controller upgrade info and sure enough it says exactly what he told me. Hey I'm old what can I say. Sorry for the run around.

Last edited:
Sorry Taylor. No idea. If you have a windows machine and get the cable it doesn't sound too difficult to accomplish. It sounds to me that sellers of the Ultra prefer it a bit doggy over warranty concerns and possibly liability.
Thats what I'm starting to understand. Well, I think my son has a laptop that I could borrow and I ordered a programming cable from Frey. NIE (nothin is easy!)

Thats what I'm starting to understand. Well, I think my son has a laptop that I could borrow and I ordered a programming cable from Frey. NIE (nothin is easy!)
Sounds like this is the cat's meow on the programming:

Penoff did it right for sure. He deserves a ton of recognition for his work on that. Just note that software will work great on the BBSxx, and the Ultra based motors (G510 and M620), but it does NOT include the 4th torque assist tab to set up the Ultra torque parameters. Maybe someday he'll get an Ultra and update his software!

Sorry Greeno, you did mention you had the updated controller, but I had no idea it used proprietary software either. That would be a strike against it from where I'm sitting.

Taylor, find something else to worry about.... You'll be fine here!;)

Penoff did it right for sure. He deserves a ton of recognition for his work on that. Just note that software will work great on the BBSxx, and the Ultra based motors (G510 and M620), but it does NOT include the 4th torque assist tab to set up the Ultra torque parameters. Maybe someday he'll get an Ultra and update his software!

Sorry Greeno, you did mention you had the updated controller, but I had no idea it used proprietary software either. That would be a strike against it from where I'm sitting.

Taylor, find something else to worry about.... You'll be fine here!;)

I hear ya Hicks. So I will be fine with the Frey CC or fine with my own laptop and cable to reprogram my controller?

I hear ya Hicks. So I will be fine with the Frey CC or fine with my own laptop and cable to reprogram my controller?
BOTH!
I might have gone Frey, but I don't have the kind of patience required to get one of those. I suffer way too much from "kid with a new toy on order" syndrome..... I wish you all the luck in the world when it comes to having the patience to wait for yours to come in....

I had to wait 2 weeks to get my most recent bike, and that was hell!

The one before that, they said they had shipped it, but UPS never updated to show they had picked it up. That took nearly a week! I'm 99.99% sure that bike was sitting on their dock waiting for enough bikes to make a truckload prior to being picked up.....

BOTH!
I might have gone Frey, but I don't have the kind of patience required to get one of those. I suffer way too much from "kid with a new toy on order" syndrome..... I wish you all the luck in the world when it comes to having the patience to wait for yours to come in....

I had to wait 2 weeks to get my most recent bike, and that was hell!

The one before that, they said they had shipped it, but UPS never updated to show they had picked it up. That took nearly a week! I'm 99.99% sure that bike was sitting on their dock waiting for enough bikes to make a truckload prior to being picked up.....

I have the same syndrome.

Attachments

• patience-my-ass-im-gonna-kill-something.jpg
    patience-my-ass-im-gonna-kill-something.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 319
As a recent purchaser of an Bafang Ultra powered RX Pro, I've wandered into the controller programing after riding 50-60 miles. I thought the OEM/as shipped programing was a little too aggressive for me and my riding style. I won't bore you with all the details, much of which is available elsewhere. Just wanted to touch on some early results - which were not that difficult to achieve. No rocket science involved, honest. I am NOT an electronics giant or computer whiz by any shape of the imagination! Would love to hear about others have done, or would like to do. Can get into specifics if there's any interest.

That initial hit when adding throttle was softened considerably, the amount of assistance available when the torque sensing first engages was reduced, and finally the amount of pedal pressure required to engage the torque sensing was reduced a little. None of the changes affected top speed or high speed performance. That's 100% intact. All of the changes were about low speed handling. Instead of just "ghost pedaling" at lower speeds due to too much available assistance (one of the reasons some consider these battery hogs), I can now contribute some of the power required to go even 6 mph. Power delivery (assistance) while using PAS level 1 through 5 is linear, with no big jumps from one to the next, no big holes, and assistance starts low enough where you can actually provide some assistance of your own. If you want more assistance, go to the next PAS level. Bottom line I'm now happy with the idea this thing is doing what I want it to do. Bonus is I believe my battery range has been increased by quite a bit as compared to what I started with as well. -Al
There is useful summary with some notes and explanations on controller programming Bafang Ultra and probably some other models without torques sensors: http://frey-bafang.patransformers.com/2020/10/09/bafang-ultra-programming/
I tested recommended settings, they are nice and smooth, but only tested PAS as I have throttle removed. Interesting side observation, with smoother out settings my battery range have improved. I think in OEM setings, Ultra set way too aggressive, unless you are in competitive sport.
Did anyone had chance to test those displays? http://www.aptdevelop.com/index.php...8lknuqvmULwXs6JRHZZhrqqMOM4uRR_3a7JiENWXZlFQY
Seem better alternative to DCP18

Back