Ultra hill climbing comparison

I only skimmed the video but it seems they just put it in Sport PAS 5 and compared quick they got up the hill which is kind of silly. While the Hydra and Archon can do 2300W I'm not sure it really matters all that much beyond 1000W, it's more about how gracefully and smooth you can pedal up without the annoying fade in/out of the stock controller at sensible PAS and that's where the Archon will shine.

Tom, you keep referring to a controller issue that's easily dealt with ("annoying fade in/out") as though it were a permanent controller feature that can't be dealt with. Why is that? I agree that it's annoying as all get out, but people need to know that you don't have to spend the big money for Archon to be rid of that "feature". It was dealt with and dialed out by anyone willing to do some programming. Not that difficult....

I didn't say anyone had to spend big money for the Archon above. I was simply pointing out where the Arcon would shine (below 2300W), not necessarily how much power it could deliver. At 2300 watts I'm not sure finesse of the controller matters that much, just try not to kill yourself.

FWIW, I have a buddy who ordered a Hydra with Archon a while back. He also has a FLX Blade. When he gets his Hydra I hope to swing by and upgrade his FLX to smooth tune and compare to the Archon. In terms of fade, I would think the sampling frequency of the controller plays a role here, so this is one area where I will be very curious to compare.

Tom, you keep referring to a controller issue that's easily dealt with ("annoying fade in/out") as though it were a permanent controller feature that can't be dealt with. Why is that? I agree that it's annoying as all get out, but people need to know that you don't have to spend the big money for Archon to be rid of that "feature". It was dealt with and dialed out by anyone willing to do some programming. Not that difficult....
For the time being thats true but they are starting to ship CANBUS now making it more of a pain in the butt! Thanks bafang!
I was also shocked to hear you could buy an Ultra direct from Bafang for 410 euro! Im sure shipping is very pricey!

Last edited:
I just finished watching a youtube video featuring a mountain bike with the Ultra motor.
It destroyed all the competition.
I left a comment that they should also look at the Hydra, with its optional 2300W.

I was just saying in another thread that i have no idea how guys can handle those 2300watt Hydras lol, stock Ultras are just monsters!

I just finished watching a youtube video featuring a mountain bike with the Ultra motor.
I left a comment that they should also look at the Hydra, with its optional 2300W.

I won´t pretend that my 500w bike could climb that hill in 45 seconds. but thereś an almost identical
grade I climb regularly without a great deal of exertion. The only limit to it´ś climbing is loss of traction.
I am considering a motor like this, but for a different reason, that being the ability to haul a
greater load & it´s potential for agricultural use on a trike. Most trikes out there are front whl. drive
which limits traction & maneuverability.. A mid-drive could solve that. Tadpoles are limited in
a different way, still having power to only one whl.

For the time being thats true but they are starting to ship CANBUS now making it more of a pain in the butt! Thanks bafang!
I was also shocked to hear you could buy an Ultra direct from Bafang for 410 euro! Im sure shipping is very pricey!
Interesting concept...I guess, keeps cargo dry while you get soaked trying to see where you´re
going thru a wet windshield?

I only skimmed the video but it seems they just put it in Sport PAS 5 and compared quick they got up the hill which is kind of silly. While the Hydra and Archon can do 2300W I'm not sure it really matters all that much beyond 1000W, it's more about how gracefully and smooth you can pedal up without the annoying fade in/out of the stock controller at sensible PAS and that's where the Archon will shine.
Looks like the guy throttled all the way up but given his breathing at finish he must have been seriously pedaling as well. I agree this is silly. Are these guys the latest to try and market Bafang in Britain? Would not it be the case that such could only be ridden on private land? IDK

EDIT: Oh, they are in Australia. Never mind.

I have a Frey cc with stock Bafang tune in to Hydra’s with the Innotrace. I rarely touch the Frey anymore. I am selling it to one of my employees and buying a third Hydra. Frame and suspension improvements aside I think the Innotrace is the most amazing improvement for the Ultra you could buy for $700.
I wanted to mention to everyone at Eurobike they had the new Valeo Motor and gearbox combo which weighs in at about 14 pounds and can put out up to 2000 W. in cargo bike form. And I hope to have it out by 2023. Definitely new things coming.

Cool channel! Its nice to see they test all motors and are not against testing Bafang products, the Ultra is a very special motor with tons of potential.
I just hope Bafang does not keep moving in the wrong direction.

The Bafang Ultra destroyed all the competition in the video because the Cyclone motor was not not in the competition, nor was the Optibike R15C motor.

About time. Wonder why these reviewer took so long to look at Bafang's 1000w motor...and that's just stock.

The Bafang Ultra destroyed all the competition in the video because the Cyclone motor was not not in the competition, nor was the Optibike R15C motor.
I'd be interested to see how the Bafang with X1 compares with those. The stock is going to pale just like Brose, Bosh, Shimano and all the other brands pale to Bafang because of the difference in watts.

Those motors are not production bike motors so i doubt they will ever be tested on that channel, The Cyclone is a 3000watt aftermarket kit motor and the Optibike is a 2500watt proprietary motor for Optibke. Even still i think some of these Ultras with after market controllers like Wattwagon would do just fine against the 2 motors above.

Back