Ultra hill climbing comparison

I can’t figure out how to copy this from Facebook so you will have to look it up but this is pretty close to what it feels like riding with standard euro spec bikes. The video just shows how much more power the Ultra has. However when it comes to tight technical sections or bombing downhill I would rather have the lighter more maneuverable bike. View attachment 99904
I think it was Timpco once said something to the effect of, "A Euro-bike will make you work like a donkey". Or something to that effect. Not totally sure.

Here's the full race video with the Travalanche/EXESS (like that naming) HP-e180.

Really interesting to see the comparison with other bikes in the race. I had read the Exess/Travalanche was around 57lbs with an enduro style geometry. Looks like it in the video with really solid high speed handling and noticeable weight and slackness limiting the tightest turning and slower transitions. The strong climbing is a key part of what I'm looking for and looks like the Archon does very well at that.

Interested to know where the Hydra is positioned relative to the Travalanche? Had seen 63lbs weights quoted on Hydra and on the AMA remember Pushkar cautioning that the Hydra is not an enduro bike. Would like to know what limits are expected on the typical Hydra build (avoid X foot drops/low-high bottom bracket?).

For descents or challenging terrain would be interested to know what's possible with the Hydra. Have seen eBike hackers stretch the Orbea Rise from 140mm of travel to 160mm F/R with mullet/longer fork travel/Fox DHX2 rear/offset bushing and wondering if the Hydra might be stretched to 170mm travel or more suspension range with some tuning. Also would be good to know what's possible in terms of bringing the bottom bracket/motor up, I don't need low slung speed in the corners and would prefer not to bounce the motor off logs or rocks.

Also think some of the beefier mountain bike components like DHX2 rear and 38mm fork could help the heavy bike handle some tougher conditions. Looks like the frame has thick walls and core sections, are there some weak/limiting areas?

I'm not a hard core downhiller or racer but have noticed that beefier systems that are well tuned soak up challenging areas and allow bikes to track well and recover well when momentum is driving you into the wrong place.

Glad to hear anyone's experience or confirmation that it is what it is in terms of geometry and handling for the Hydra. The Exess video looks like great fun and really promising!

😆 We'll I'll try to laugh off the backslap. Please be kinder and read the part where I say I'm not a racer or hard core. It's not my video, it's the full version of the video that Acme shared.

Thanks for sharing the clip. Great to see the possibilities and varieties.

Even better would be suggesting approaches to optimizing the Hydra geometry, tuning and components.

😆 We'll I'll try to laugh off the backslap. Please be kinder and read the part where I say I'm not a racer or hard core. It's not my video, it's the full version of the video that Acme shared.

Thanks for sharing the clip. Great to see the possibilities and varieties.

Even better would be suggesting approaches to optimizing the Hydra geometry, tuning and components.
For what it's worth the "Places You Ride Your Hydra" thread is somewhat informative regarding your concerns. This is where I ride mine and it does just fine. No problems:

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.53.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 3.36.45 PM.png

You also might check out Acme's posts. He rides the crap out of his bikes in very rough country.

Thanks guys, appreciate the effort to be helpful. Yes Acme's riding is in similar coastal ranges a few hours drive south of me. Did a nice ride at sunset last night and it was fine but the low light descent from this sunset pic was a little challenging. The motors of these bikes are great for accessing amazing places. Would be great to have the most confidence inspiring setup to get there and back.
SunsetLateSummerTrail.jpeg

There is a Luna Apollo near me I have to go by and see if he wants to do a comparison. I think it’s really going to depend the battery. And what I have drawl it will sustain
I would like to see the Luna X1 Enduro as that's more of the same style.

Also, for the guy wanting to see a Sur-Ron...that's 7000W (72V I think?) and you don't use the pedals should you order one with them. It is illegal on any bike trail I know of. Comparing that to a Bafang is not apples to apples. Comparing Bafang to Brose/Bosch/etc. is ideal as you still have pedal assist and the battery is generally the same 48V. But in Europe the Bafang is not legal being too high in wattage so that is a legit complaint.

Bafang being 1000w is basically considered a moped there. I’m pretty sure they can still use it on off road paths, but I’ll defer to someone who actually lives there. That said, for those of us in the US, the comparison is still valid.

Back