UC Pro Bafang UART motor failure

From what I understand at the start of 2023 the 48v replacement BBSHD motors will only work with a 48v battery source.
The older motors used to work with a 52 or 48v system whichever you had. Didn’t matter….. back then.

I found this out when a buddy with an older BBSHD motor had a controller fail so he ordered the same exact model # motor rated at48v.
So after we installed it we got the Error 30 message “over voltage”. It would only work if the voltage was around 56v max or so. So a fully charged up 52v battery which is 58.8v will trigger the fault
So…. He could either send it back to GBK in China or I found a fix online to re-write the firmware on the controller from 48-52v perameters.
I think there’s a software download from Roshan over at the Biktrix website.
I think go to support tab and there are some fixes for miscellaneous stuff.

I think GBK also has a similar fix on their site also.
You’ll need a PC to do it.
A Mac, or Apple won’t work.

Interesting, it was sold as 48v/52v. I have not had any errors with fully charged 52v battery (58.8v). Would not a 48v have a lower cut off though and show the battery as fuller than it is? I am having the opposite issue where it thinks the battery is dead at 50v.

I bought the same controller from GBK in 48V. It only turns on and shows a communication error 30 message. I can't get past that error message so I ordered the Bafang C961 calibration display. I hope that solves the problem.
Calibration display would be an annoying extra expense, sounds like it might need to try that if I cannot get into via PC

Interesting, it was sold as 48v/52v. I have not had any errors with fully charged 52v battery (58.8v). Would not a 48v have a lower cut off though and show the battery as fuller than it is? I am having the opposite issue where it thinks the battery is dead at 50v.
The % reading is notoriously inaccurate unless you have a Bafang branded battery. Especially the UART versions as there's no battery BMS communication with 3rd party batteries.

The % reading is notoriously inaccurate unless you have a Bafang branded battery. Especially the UART versions as there's no battery BMS communication with 3rd party batteries.
I am not talking about the % reading per se, I am talking about the battery icon, shows red, dead around 50v (I have screen configured to show volts). Which would not bother me to much, the annoying part is that there is a noticeable sever drop off in assist around ~48.5v. That did not happen with my old motor.

I am not talking about the % reading per se, I am talking about the battery icon, shows red, dead around 50v (I have screen configured to show volts). Which would not bother me to much, the annoying part is that there is a noticeable sever drop off in assist around ~48.5v. That did not happen with my old motor.
Got ya.
Possible firmware incompatibility with the display so changing that might work... But I'd lean more towards the firmware on the new motor.
Have you tried contacting GBK about the issue?

Got ya.
Possible firmware incompatibility with the display so changing that might work... But I'd lean more towards the firmware on the new motor.
Have you tried contacting GBK about the issue?
Good idea, worth a shot. I figured there would be zero support. I tried emailing.

If I remember correctly Pushkar told me a long time ago if my controller failed, not the motor, I would have to send the "new" controller if I purchased one, and old motor back to them to "pair" them up so that they would work together.
Did you get the Archon X1 upgrade?
Then that's the issue.
See the man see the man.
Contact Mr. P and see what he says.
Or... you could do what I did just buy a complete G510 Ultra motor that is UART, 52v and download the software that is out there to reprogram to your liking.
That way there is no down time on shipping anything to Boston and having to wait for weeks a possible fix.
Dont think contacting GBK will help you out if the motor is from WW.
Good luck.

I had ordered a whole new motor and display, UART as that is what my wiring is. I emailed GBK and they said there is nothing to be done, the droppoff is programmed into the controller to "protect" the motor. I would guess they mean the controller, I guess controller failures are maybe due to poor components unable to handle outputting high power at lower voltages? I have no idea. Seems odd to me.
I had purchased a new controller for my old motor and planned on installing it at some point, will be interesting to see in some time in future if it has the same issue, I would guess so.

Completely unrelated I also had my seals fail on my Magura Mt5e's at the lever, trying to work with Magura customer service to get them replaced under warrenty, very friendly fast phone, but not proactive and slow process. Frustratingly problematic bakes, never had issues with other bike brakes, but these do get more work due to the weight and speed. Looks like industry is starting to come out with some upsized brakes for ebikes, weirdly most of the time with no cutoff/brake light switches.

Soo much maintenance! :mad:

Ok... Totally anecdotal here....
My 48v UART ultra is a 2023 so I'm assuming it's the latest. Upon purchase I quickly changed the display to an 860C as I much prefer 9 PAS over 5 with ECO/SPORT. I do notice that somewhere between 46.5v and 48v the percentage icon turns from green to orange. It usually happens on a hill climb with sustained voltage sag as quick drops don't cause it to change. Even if I stop and the voltage climbs above 48v or cycling the display off, it still remains orange until I charge the battery. On previous discussion with APT (the 860c manufacture) with my BBS02B they informed me that the percentage reading is supplied by the controller.
This said I notice no change in performance whether the icon is green or orange. For example on today's ride PAS 4 max'd out at 11amps no matter the voltage or icon color. I think I've taken this battery down to 45v with no noticeable loss of performance.
Now I'm using my own programming, not the stock or something like Frey Smooth so I don't know if that is in the equation here. Or if it's my display? Or a different firmware version. Or I haven't a clue what the flock I'm talking about. 🙃

This doe appear to be a known issue, or rather very very conservative settings from Bafang (GBK sent me this where people talk about it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2323768714344360/permalink/6771801029541084), its apparently expected behavior. A way to deal with is apparently is to set draw a lot higher so when it get chopped by this setting its less noticeable. I have not tried it, don't currently have the time.
Actually that was going to be my suggestion as modulation of power output via pedal pressure is easily controlled with the Ultra. Or just ride one PAS higher after it kicks in. Having 9 to choose from should really make it a non issue.
Maybe my motor is a pre implementation of this feature?

Yeah, currently I don't think my PAS 9 is aggressive enough since the power cut is very very noticable. I am pretty sure its new configuration/feature, not sure how new, my original WW motor (2019) certainly did not cut noticeably until probably 45-46v.

Yeah, currently I don't think my PAS 9 is aggressive enough since the power cut is very very noticable. I am pretty sure its new configuration/feature, not sure how new, my original WW motor (2019) certainly did not cut noticeably until probably 45-46v.
How much does it reduce output?
My PAS 9 is set to 100% but it's really only used for giving the throttle full range which I rarely use... and especially full blown.
I typically max at PAS7 when riding and that's minimal as well. PAS6 gets used a lot more and that includes the big hill to get home when my legs are worn as well.
One of these days I'll ride my battery down to 43v or so to see what I see...

Back