Re-greasing my Hydra motor

Deacon Blues

Since my Hydra is off the road because of my leaking Kindernay hub I decided to take the motor apart to see how much grease there was.
I was expecting near zero grease, like my UC Pro's motor, but was pleasantly surprised to see the gears had a decent amount of grease.

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

I'll still take out all the old grease and replace it with Corn Head grease.

One odd thing I found when taking the motor apart is the main shaft didn't have a snap ring circlip on it, like my UC Pro's motor had. I've watch 2 or 3 videos on disassembling the Ultra motor and there was always a 'C' clip on the motors in the videos.
Did they just forget to put one in at the factory?

Since my Hydra is off the road because of my leaking Kindernay hub I decided to take the motor apart to see how much grease there was.
I was expecting near zero grease, like my UC Pro's motor, but was pleasantly surprised to see the gears had a decent amount of grease.

View attachment 159059

View attachment 159060

I'll still take out all the old grease and replace it with Corn Head grease.

One odd thing I found when taking the motor apart is the main shaft didn't have a snap ring circlip on it, like my UC Pro's motor had. I've watch 2 or 3 videos on disassembling the Ultra motor and there was always a 'C' clip on the motors in the videos.
Did they just forget to put one in at the factory?
Mine (Ultra) did not have a snap ring either.

Re-greased the motor tonight and put it back together. I have no idea if this is the right amount of grease, but it will have to do.
Anyone know what the torque setting would be for the bolts that hold the motor together?

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

The motor is back together. While trying to get it back together (lots of wires to get in the way) I accidentally broke the gasket. Luckily, when I ordered a new gasket I bought 2, just in case I damaged one.
I'll put the motor back in the bike soon, but I won't be able to actually ride the bike for a while, since my leaking Kindernay hub will have to be sent to Norway ( I think) for repairs.
I sent an email (including photos) to Kindernay, stating the problem on Wednesday, but haven't received a reply yet.

The motor is back together. While trying to get it back together (lots of wires to get in the way) I accidentally broke the gasket. Luckily, when I ordered a new gasket I bought 2, just in case I damaged one.
I'll put the motor back in the bike soon, but I won't be able to actually ride the bike for a while, since my leaking Kindernay hub will have to be sent to Norway ( I think) for repairs.
I sent an email (including photos) to Kindernay, stating the problem on Wednesday, but haven't received a reply yet.
That's a bummer about having to send it back for repairs.

Is there no gasket between the gear compartment and the electronic compartment, or is it the part your broke?

There is no gasket between the gear compartment and the electronic compartment. Just one gasket that goes around the rim of the motor case.

Is there no gasket between the gear compartment and the electronic compartment, or is it the part your broke?
I was concerned about that as well and yet another reasons that you shouldn't over_grease.
Grease can be forced into the next compartment with heat and pressure running the motor under load with some expansion if there's too much of it.

And look at the original photo. Looks like a different grease on the bearings than the gears.
That red grease looks like the correct amount of grease to me. Grease the teeth.

Curious if the corn head is quieter.

Last edited:
I agree Gionnirocket. Too much grease is probably just as bad as too little.

Tom, thanks for the torque info. 👍 Is that manual available online?

Back