Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH Step-Through

Thanks for the reply. I visited the Specialized store in Chicago, and test rode the Vado 5 IGH. I previously used to have a Riese Muller Roadster Mixte with Enviolo Manual CVT and not the Automatiq. In my limited time, I felt hampered by what I perceived the motor to be aggressive in assisting.

Thanks for the reply. I visited the Specialized store in Chicago, and test rode the Vado 5 IGH. I previously used to have a Riese Muller Roadster Mixte with Enviolo Manual CVT and not the Automatiq. In my limited time, I felt hampered by what I perceived the motor to be aggressive in assisting.
You felt the specialized was aggressive?

I thought so, it didn't feel as 'natural' - in other words, it wasn't an extension of my effort, and seemed to kick in at different times. What was your experience like?

FWIW, I haven't felt like it kicked in a different times. It feels very smooth and consistent. The only difference is what mode of assist it is in.

I thought so, it didn't feel as 'natural' - in other words, it wasn't an extension of my effort, and seemed to kick in at different times. What was your experience like?
Felt it was better in that respect. But I haven’t tried a bosch.

Have you tried an SL model? Can you tolerate a chain and less power?

Stay away from bafang if you want it to feel like a bike not a rocketship. ;)

Felt it was better in that respect. But I haven’t tried a bosch.

Have you tried an SL model? Can you tolerate a chain and less power?

Stay away from bafang if you want it to feel like a bike not a rocketship. ;)
Ha I've not tried a Bafang but have heard similar impressions from others.
I also tried the SL model and wow - that thing is nimble and fast, but not needed for my use case I think and in general I prefer a belt drive. I do like the Specialized motor - felt great and 'natural'.
My experience with Bosch motors has generally been positive, and I've not yet tried any with the smart system just yet.

I wish the big three took this more seriously. It would be fantastic if they offered belt drive upgrades on their models. If specialized offered a rohloff based vado, I would have gone that direction.
I do not think so.

The user Alaskan got rid off the Rohloff on his all R&M e-bikes in favour of the chain system.

I do not think so.

The user Alaskan got rid off the Rohloff on his all R&M e-bikes in favour of the chain system.
I will stop biking before I get a chain.

Personally I like continuous variable transmission with the belt drive, not so sold on the Rohloff or indexed transmissions
The cvt is really nice. But you lose a lot of range vs rohloff or pinion. So far, the rohloff is roughly user comparable except a much larger range to manual enviolo. Automatic is a different story. Though that is technically artificially indexed to 9 speeds I think.

I think the rohloff has an advantage in that it is indexed in the hub. I also find myself jumping bunches of gears, which is easier on rohloff (the enviolo has limits and idiosyncrasies around that)

I still want a pinion based bike. But I am not ready for the hills here without a motor.

And with the Kindernay VII, there is an even better alternative to the Rohloff for e-bikes.
Hopefully that will contribute to more and more e-bikes using IGHs.

I also love the Pinion 9 gears, but they would need to implement a Torque sensor for it to become an attractive solution for e-bikes, and so far they dont seem to think that market matters for them....

they will need to implement a Torque sensor for it to become an attractive solution for e-bikes
Fair point. Though, I am not interested in it for ebikes. I have a dream that I will be able to ride a titanium pinion normal bike on these hills one day. ;)

Fair point. Though, I am not interested in it for ebikes. I have a dream that I will be able to ride a titanium pinion normal bike on these hills one day. ;)
Premium mid-drive motor -> Chinese crap mid-drive -> Chinese hub motor/Pinion -> throttle -> fat e-bike on 20" wheels, no pedals.
You cannot stop the downward spiral collapse :)

Pinion does not have to be associated with crap, and it certainly is not itself :)

Pinion does not have to be associated with crap, and it certainly is not itself :)
Screenshot_20221207_182805_Chrome.jpg

So much about bicycles.

Are you kidding?
Nicolai is one of the highest quality brand over there (they are German by the way) of both regular bikes and e-bikes (mostly based on Bosch motor).
They were one of the first to offer a full suspension bike with a belt and the rohloff.

Last edited:
Back