Trump stops sale of BadAssBox 4 for Giant ebikes

iskjone

I wanted to purchase version 4 of BadAssBox for my 2020 Explore E+ but was surprise that at the BadAssBox Web site there was no selection in drop down menu to ship to the US. When I asked BadAssBox why I received the following memo .

Andreas Staudt <[email protected]>
7:23 AM (22 minutes ago)

Hi,

I don't want to go into that in depth, but there are many solid reasons why we cannot ship to the USA.
Ideally, you would discuss this with your brilliant president.
If you want to order before you have achieved a result, please simply contact our Australian distributor:
https://www.ebikespartsandaccessories.com/store/badassBox-4-c34290478

Kind regards

Andreas Staudt

Wow, It looks like they ship to every country in the world except the US! Very weird.

It's a eBike speed delimiter. Attaches to eBike speed sensor to remove 20 MPH cutout. Used for private property only and not legal on public roads.

It's a eBike speed delimiter. Attaches to eBike speed sensor to remove 20 MPH cutout. Used for private property only and not legal on public roads.
Some roads it IS legal, depending on country. Where I live, the limit is in in the engine watt rating (300w or less) but speed is up to you. As we get all our bikes imported we piggy-back of factory settings meaning we inherit the speed limitation of the model purchased. So again in my case derestriction is 100% legal

Thank you for the clarification Jansy123. Where is it that you are so fortunate to live? I know that some regions have a 15 mph limit. Not reasonable at all.

This device interests me, as I've just purchased a Cannondale Topstone carbon Neo Lefty 3, with the Bosch Gen 4 motor.
Here in Canada top speed, with power, is limited to 32kph. I'll have to see, after riding the bike for a few months, if I'll need power above 32kph. Most of my riding is usually below 32kph, unless I'm going downhill.

I did order a BadAssBox 4 from the Australian site with no problems. Thanks Andreas.
Did you have any doubts if the product does not work on your bike for whatever reason, you would be out $$$? Or is there a return policy if product does not work?

I was satisfied it works as advertised but if had to return I believe it would have been no problem. Company was very helpful to me. No complaints. You can tell you’re dealing with one of the good guys. My opinion, your mileage may differ.

While on BadAssBox 4's website I noticed a firmware upgrade warning. I emailed them, since my new ebike, with its Bosch Gen 4 motor, has the most recent upgrade. The email reply I got said that the unit usually works on a Gen 4 with the upgrade, but with some units an error can show up on the display.

Hopefully, by the time I buy the BadAssBox 4 unit (after my Bosch warranty runs out) they will have a solution for this. Even if they don't, I'll probably take the risk and purchase the unit.

Last edited:
So I just put in an order for the badassbox 4 for yamaha/giant for my 2020 Giant Explore E+4 GTS. Paul, a customer rep, assured me about the 30-day return policy. Comes out to a decent price of $175 USD or 230 AUD. I have 2 years warranty on all parts of the bike, so will use to bike and then sell it down the road!

I think you will like BAB 4 and wonder why consider anything else. It’s honestly a 20 second switch from stock to derestricted and if anyone wanted to bet you money, it would be under 10 seconds. You need to change battery once a year but small price to pay for a Electronic device without so much as an on/off switch. It does seem a bit pricey but this time next year there will be a dozen Chinese knock offs selling under $10.

I have 2 years warranty on all parts of the bike, so will use to bike and then sell it down the road!

As my LBS cautioned me on purchase, just be aware your average speed reading after fitting the BAB will be a red flag to the dealer should you ever need to make a motor or battery warranty claim. They'd be within their rights to reject the claim. Not saying don't do it, just go in with eyes wide open.

Perhaps, but getting them to warranty 100% legit work appears to be a problem with many LBS. I'm more concerned with legal issues and insurance coverage. That's were the real risk lies, not in maintenance.

I think you will like BAB 4 and wonder why consider anything else. It’s honestly a 20 second switch from stock to derestricted and if anyone wanted to bet you money, it would be under 10 seconds. You need to change battery once a year but small price to pay for a Electronic device without so much as an on/off switch. It does seem a bit pricey but this time next year there will be a dozen Chinese knock offs selling under $10.
hey iskjone, so I received the BAB 4 and it just does not seem to work. each time the bike gets up to 20mph/32kmh, the ride control one just starts to show a red light. I am thinking that my firmware is upgraded on the bike and maybe that is why it is glitching? Can you please take a couple pictures of the placement of the magnet on your e bike so I can confirm if the magnet placement isn't the issue.

I read 8 forum pages discussing the VOLSpeed (which is very similar to the BadAssBox 4) problems on ebikes with the Bosch Gen 4 motor. I'm not sure what motor is in your Giant ebikes, but for the Bosch Gen 4 motors it seems that it is only a matter of time until the dreaded 504 error shows up. :(

hey iskjone, so I received the BAB 4 and it just does not seem to work. each time the bike gets up to 20mph/32kmh, the ride control one just starts to show a red light. I am thinking that my firmware is upgraded on the bike and maybe that is why it is glitching? Can you please take a couple pictures of the placement of the magnet on your e bike so I can confirm if the magnet placement isn't the issue.

the magnet has to be really close to the edge of the BAB4 I can post a better pic of mine tomorrow. I had similar problems before i tinkered with it
7750A0BB-2631-475C-8729-22E05F4FC83D.jpeg
6D37ECC3-33FE-4CC7-9676-5E36F867A6EE.jpeg

Back