Trek Verve + 2 chain is constantly slipping.

Perhaps the Verve+ 3 has the fixes implemented from the start at the factory (i.e., correct chainring, chain guide, etc.) which have attributed to your positive experience?

From the pictures it appears the chain guard is the same (difficult to remove) design, which requires the crank arm to come off first:

Verve+ 2:

View attachment 84139

Verve+ 3:

View attachment 84140
It is (was) the same guard on mine. I now have just a guard ring. I don’t think there is a chain guard/corrector anywhere in my setup, they must have used a different basic setup. The original guard will come off with just the pedal removed; it will bend it slightly but most owners just discard it anyway. My altered guard below.

Attachments

• E2DA49F0-6597-4264-A7EC-9F4ED3995F09.jpeg
    E2DA49F0-6597-4264-A7EC-9F4ED3995F09.jpeg
    541.2 KB · Views: 365
I just got the bike back from the shop with the fix installed. It's difficult to take a photo to show what has been installed (I took the guard off and wiggled it out of the way as much as I could), but it's simply a plastic "shim" (I wouldn't call it a guide at all) that goes between the Mid-Drive and the chainring. It does not capture the chain over the top or anything; it looks like all it would do is prevent the chain from jumping to the inside (between the chainring and motor) by simply filling in the gap. I don't see how this would prevent the chain jumping to the outside, or "slipping".

1617916445803.png

I'm very skeptical that this will do anything, but given the runaround my shop gave me on answering my questions, I think if this doesn't work and it pops off again, I'm just going to try to get the part number for the chainring from Trek that they were originally swapping out for others in this thread, and just buy one myself. I hate confrontation and dealing with these kinds of issues...

(Does anyone happen to know the part number of the replacement chainring? i.e. from a work order or anything like that?)

The chain on my Trek Super Commuter was constantly dropping into the small space between the chainring and the motor. I bolted a large washer to the inside of the chainring guard to fill the space. The chain has never dropped again in at least 20,000 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_4209.jpeg
    IMG_4209.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_4210.jpeg
    IMG_4210.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 334
I'm with you Canard, that does seem like a sketchy fix. But who knows, give it some time and see how it goes.

To answer your question, the new chainring my Trek shop installed was called a Narrow Wide (NW) chainring. I did not get a part number or any paperwork back from the shop, just dropped the bike off, came back a coupla hours later, picked it up and rode off into the sunset.

Prior to having the NW installed I had 3 chain slips over the course of about 500 miles of riding. After the NW 'fix' was completed I had another slip and once again had to fight that chainguard to re install the chain. That was it for me.....off came the chainguard. I really think that removing the guard and installing an aftermarket chainguard as Latitude describes is the way to go. I'm just going to leave the guard off for now and be done with this nonsense.

Best of luck
Howard

It is (was) the same guard on mine. I now have just a guard ring. I don’t think there is a chain guard/corrector anywhere in my setup, they must have used a different basic setup. The original guard will come off with just the pedal removed; it will bend it slightly but most owners just discard it anyway. My altered guard below.
Latitude, That's the guard I'm looking for. Would you mind sharing the source? Most of the ones I've seen online tend to be fragile looking &/or have way too much bling. Thanks, hf

Latitude, That's the guard I'm looking for. Would you mind sharing the source? Most of the ones I've seen online tend to be fragile looking &/or have way too much bling. Thanks, hf

UPANBIKE Mountain Bike Chainring Guard BCD 104mm Aluminum Alloy Chainring Protector Cover for 32~34T 36~38T 40~42T Bicycle Chainring Sprockets
Size :36T~38T
This is the one I got on Amazon. The 36-38 size. One side is covered with graphics, the other is plain black, reversible. It’s working well for me.

Back